“Lovely meal but keep ur coat on!!!!”
Review of Stotfield Hotel

Stotfield Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lossiemouth
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We ate here last week with my 3 year old. The first thing that hits you is the bar is well laid out and has lovely decor. It does however lack warmth.... The large room was really cold and we were not the only ones to eat with our coats on. Portable radiators would be helpful or wear your thermals. The food was good. We ordered haddock and chips, burger and chips and childrens sausage,beans and chips. Positive remarks fish was piping hot beautifully cooked with amazing crispy batter. Really big portion. Negatives were homemade wedges were cold and a little underdone as potato was a bit hard in places. Sausages were not very good quality as more rusk than meat. Presentation of meals were good though and burger was well seasoned. Again wedges were hard and underdone. Staff were very attentive and friendly and due to the fact that we had a toddler with us this was only reason wedges did not get returned. I would return if they put heating on and cooked wedges longer :-) as overall it was a nice experience. Daughter had very nice vanilla icecream which tasted good quality and u could see vanilla through it.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank littlewhitepaws
There are newer reviews for Stotfield Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have today returned from a weekend at this hotel and I have never been so glad to see my own home as I was today.

Before I have my rant I must state the staff at the hotel really tried their best and always had a smile on their face despite all the negativity they have to deal with. Also the food on the Saturday evening was very nice - we were at a wedding so I would not be surprised if professional caterers had been brought in....this, I am afraid is where the positivity ends

We arrived at the hotel on the Friday and upon walking into reception I was a bit surprised how tired the main area was, it was like walking back in time and I suppose I thought "how quaint". Well, I was wrong there.......

After hiking up the stairs with our bags (no lift) and tripping on the worn and ragged carpet we entered our room. The smell hit us both straight away...it was a mixture of cat pee and a strong damp smell. It caught in my throat and I started to cough violently. Looking around the room I was stunned to see something so tiny, unkept and so very very old. It was then I noticed the dirt, The room was FILTHY and I mean FILTHY...I ran my hand along the top of the mirror and lifted a good half inch of thick grey dirt off the top of it. At this point I turned to my partner with "that look" and said "you are having a laugh.......get down these stairs NOW and kick off cause If you don't I will and it wont be pretty....."

Knowing what was good for him (I jest...) he managed to procure another room but to be honest it was no better but a tiny bit cleaner. The bathroom was so tiny there was no basin in it. The shower and the shower curtain were covered in black mould, the toilet moved off the wall when you sat on it (I decided to hover!!!) and the cistern took about 45 mins to fill up each time you flushed it. The shower spat a few bits of water now and again so I had to resort to washing at the sink which was in the bedroom....and a very rusty sink at that...

The room itself was freezing, very dilapidated with drawers with no handles, pillows with no pillow cases, stained carpets, only one curtain at the window and that was hanging off, a dated TV which did not work, crumbs on the bedside table, broken lights and a big square of old chocolate on the floor at the side of the bed.............tempted to stay there are you?????

The hotel is old, run down and in need of a complete refurb....I can deal with old and tired but what is not excusable is the dirtiness of the rooms (bed linen was ok). This needs to be resolved before the place gets shut down for cleanliness issues. Hire some new cleaners and that in itself will give you better reviews

As I said, the food at the wedding was lovely but the breakfasts were awful (not edible actually) and the pate I had the day I arrived was terrible...almost at the turn for going off.....

To end with a smile and a laugh (and all true) the classic happened this morning whilst checking out......man looks up to ceiling as he had water dripping on his head. Man goes to reception and says there is a leak as I am being hit with water, Man at reception says, oh, the water is because the people in that room will be having a shower!!! He promptly walks off, gets a wine holder and plonks it under the water running out the ceiling and the ceiling light and trots away quite merrily.....

Lossiemouth.......I was an experience......I am no celebrity but I really needed to get out of there.....

Room Tip: Just don't go there until they have cleaned up their act....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Gina G
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stated here last week for 1 night room very dated , old sash window had mould on it cob webs above light in room but was thankfully it was only 1 night mattress on bed could be as old as me felt every spring and the seagulls @ 5th were not appreciated some roo.s do have double glazing new windows just wonder why they stopped , hall carpets very worn and in need of replacing
The food in the brasserie was really nice I enjoyed the fish and chips the bead could have been clearer garlic butter etc not garlic bread but I like plane bread and butter me !

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had a lovely weekend away in lossie staying at this hotel. Our first night was in a room over the back, not that exciting, a bit dated and old fashioned but it did have a bath. Our second night we had a room overlooking the sea, which was bigger and had a sofa which really made for a lovely change and a great place to relax with a cuppa.

Yes the hotel could do with a bit of updating but this is not central London. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food in the bar was excellent. So much so that we came back for dinner when staying elsewhere (recommend the hot rocks!)

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, it will change your whole experience
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The price of this hotel I expected more it was very dull. My room look as if it was from the 50s. The free wifi was only if you sat in the lounge area next to the door. The food was fine but slow service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I had to stay at the hotel as all nearby accomadation was full.
I requested a double room and was charged £70, and upon entering the room was met by a very heavy smell of disinfectant I can only think they wanted to hide some other smell, the room was very dated and not pleasing to the eye. The walls and ceiling had large brown water stains on them and they had pushed 2 single beds together in an attempt to make a double bed.
Call me oldfashend but I think if you pay for a double you should not get a twin with beds pushed together especially if one of the beds is higher than the other.
I'm sorry to paint a gloomy picture because as I say the staff are very nice but I'm sorry to say your hotel is not.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Toby1sam
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We got supposedly the last room available. It was at the back of the hotel at the end of a rucked carpeted corridor with alarmingly creaking floor boards. The room was clean but poorly decorated with wallpaper hanging off the ceiling. The en suite was behind a rickety sliding door and was basic in the extreme. The telly dated back to the 80's with poor reception.
Parking is very limited.
The restaurant had been modernised and was fairly attractive with a beautiful view over the golf course to the Black Isle. The menu offered a reasonable choice and evening meal was acceptable.
But the buffet cooked breakfast was cold.
Not to be recommended

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lossiemouth
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club
#7 of 7 in Elgin
The Station Hotel
The Station Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rothes

Been to Stotfield Hotel? Share your experiences!