Hotels.com
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
fiona2326
Glasgow, Scotland
Lovely sea view, badly needs updating
Review of Stotfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 31 Aug 2023via mobile
I’ve given this place 3 points - clean, lovely sea view and I slept well. That’s where the positivity ends I’m afraid.

I was given a top room floor, which was fine for me as I’m able enough to get my overnight bag up. I was happy with the corner room, which was spacious, had three windows so lots of natural light and I loved the sea views. I found the room itself to be furnished ok for the type of hotel and price range it’s in. However, the bathroom facilities are in desperate need of update. I’ve stayed in typical coach trip budget value hotels many times so I think I have realistic expectations of accommodation at this level. And I’m really surprised the bathrooms have been left in this condition for this long without any investment.

I see others were happy with breakfast but I was really disappointed. Considering they cater for tourists, some thought into providing a more Scottish type breakfast such as square sausage, black pudding, potato scone? I could only see fried egg as the only egg option, I’m not sure if they would have done scrambled egg if I’d asked for it. I had a bit of links sausage which was very poor quality.

The main dining area and bar/lobby seating area all appear to be reasonably good condition and welcoming, they are obviously looking to appeal to evening diners as there’s not many options in the area (I did eat my dinner down at the harbour). I think if they started to make some changes to the accommodation (start with the bathrooms!) and breakfast offering (don’t be afraid to add on a few £’s and offer something much nicer) this could be a wonderful hotel, it’s a lovely building with fabulous sea views.
£110
    1.5 miles from Stotfield Hotel
    £183
    5.0 miles from Stotfield Hotel
    View more hotels in Lossiemouth
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 26 August 2023

Positives-clean towels, clean bedding and decent breakfast.
    Negatives:-
    1) Mouldy and not clean bathroom.
    2) The room is 1 star
    3) Zero shower gel in container (what do the maids actually do - it’s not seeing to it cleaning bathroom).
    4) Stinking ancient bath with shower curtain. Grouting looks like it was done by Stevie Wonder / Ray Charles.

I was not expecting 4 star after all what can you expect for 68 pounds but this is really really poor establishment rating a 1 star.
    No reception people when leaving for a reason. What possible answer coukd you say when they ask how was your stay “totally poor and no optimism for improvement”. Want better than nice staff who must be embarrassed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 22 August 2023

We have just spent 5 wonderful nights at The Stotfield Hotel where our Grandson and his new wife had their wedding reception
    The rooms were clean , bed very comfortable and we had an awesome view of the Moray Firth
    The staff were excellent, so friendly and helpful and certainly went above and beyond to make the wedding day perfect. Special mention to Billy who made everything run smoothly , nothing was too much trouble.
    The breakfast was great, all you can eat
    Evening meals also good quality
    If you’re looking to stay up this way look no further than the Stotfield They’ll certainly look after you !

• Trip type: Travelled with family
    Reviewed 5 August 2023 via mobile

They hotel location is perfect in Lossiemouth overlooking the sea, however the picture shows on each site is the gold hotel across the road u actually have to cross road to go over to gold hotel or cross to beach, entry to hotel is nice bit noticed on entry the glass on doors etc very dirty
    Check in was very welcoming and very quick room was ready before check in time.
    We had double room with sea view, bed was clean and could tell room had been hoovered with fresh towels
    However the skirting boards, window cills and toilet sink and mirror was dirty
    Very dated which I knew before going but all very dated and horrible cold feel about it
    Provided cups and tea coffee making facilities in room
    Shower gel empty and toilet roll was in a holder like public toilets
    Nice view nice staff and breakfast was lovely

Room tip: Arrive early if u wish hotel parking if not plenty space on street Ask for sea view
    Trip type: Travelled with family
    1  Thank LaurababeGlasgow
    Reviewed 28 July 2023 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights as a family of two adults and a 4 yo while visiting friends.

It was a busy period as there was some sort of golf tournament at the golf club opposite which did mean parking on site was an issue but the west beach car park is a short walk away and we also managed to park on the street close to the hotel.

The hotel is old and dated in some places and the electric showers in the bathrooms lack the pressure of a power shower. But overall the room was clean, the beds comfortable and would definitely stay again if in the area.

Found it great value at around £100 per night for three people including breakfast the next cheapest I could find locally on the same dates was a Travelodge in Elgin at £75 per night with no breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2023
    Trip type: Travelled with family
    2  Thank graemec130
    Reviewed 24 July 2023

Enjoyed the view over the golf course and West beach. Blackout curtains were appreciated during a summer stay.

The lack of parking and parking restrictions on adjacent roads caused us problems.

The lack of a lift to upper floors caused us problems.

The bedroom is a good size and would be suitable for a king size bed. The bathroom is quite spacious but there are absolutely no shelves or rails or hooks or radiators, no toilet brush, nothing to hang towels on and nowhere to put a wash bag or toiletries. No tissues or sanitary waste bags provided.

A minor irritation was that we had to go and collect teaspoons and tea bags as none were left in the room.

Whilst the hotel prides itself on providing a warm welcome, that only extends to 11pm when guests are made to vacate the bar and lounge areas and take their drinks up to their rooms.

Restaurant staff are helpful and friendly. The evening meal was delicious, freshly cooked food, and gluten free options are available. One of the waiters behaved oddly when she dropped a knife on the floor and kicked it all the way to the kitchen rather than come back for it.

Room tip: Parking restrictions around hotel and limited parking at front of hotel.
    Date of stay: July 2023