“Full of character!”

Carlton Seamill B & B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here on Sunday 11th August as we were attending a wedding in The Seamill Hydro, we checked in early which was not a problem and we were given a front door key without even asking which was just as well as we returned very late.
We had absolutely no problems with our room or the bathroom. We only stayed 1 night so I feel unable to comment on Avril`s ability to maintain the house as everything looked fine to us.
There was plenty on offer for breakfast and I would not hesitate to return.
My friends were charged £109 at the Hydro and extra for early check in, they`re room was not ready til after the ceremony & group photos. The room was compact but did have an ensuite but I have to say a b&b and a hotel by Hydro standards are a totally different ball game!, there is just no comparision!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Carlton Seamill B & B

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This place is so not the place to stay! It is obviously to much work for this lady and the place has just got so rundown and shabby and unclean. The breakfast was " ok" although we did have to ask for clean cutlery and crockery and the grapefruit (in a tin) was well out of date!! Beds are very small and I had to sleep with my feet sticking out the bottom of the bed!! This is not a comfortable place to spend a night and don't waste your money or risk your health !!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Marjory H
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is the worst B&B I have ever stayed in, by a country mile. Filthy, cluttered with junk (the only thing antique in here is the dirt....the stuff in here is JUNK), disgusting carpets, cracked washbasins, no en-suite, odd owner (I'm being kind here...) and a questionable breakfast regime. Brian H has written the only honest review I can see on here, and I can only think that the reviewers who gave glowing reports exist only in the mind of Avril, and on her PC keyboard. I cannot imagine that anybody who has stayed here will recognise the 'charming' experiences these 'guests' have mentioned. We also attended a wedding at Seamill Hydro, which is undergoing a refurbishment, and charged guests accordingly. My son had a magnificent 2 bedroomed suite at the Hydro with a view across to Arran from a picture window, and was charged £87 for the night! Compared to £60 for our horrendous night at the Carlton, the 'reviewers' who have slagged off Seamill Hydro as being expensive, must be having a laugh. If Avril would admit to the shocking state of the house and what she serves up, and finance a refurb, she could probably justify charging a wee bit more, which would easily cover the costs of any loans involved......and guests would be happy to pay it, but only if it is good value. £60 for what is on offer, is not good value, it is a tantamount to......? If Avril would spend what little energy she seems to have (she does seem to have health problems, for which I sympathise) in sorting out these problems, instead of trying to defend the indefensible, she might have a chance, but her denial is symptomatic of deeper problems. Alex Polizzi could easily make a series out of this one house, rather than just one episode. The really annoying thing is that there is a fantastic business opportunity here to take advantage of the excellent position beside the Seamill Hydro, and the natural beauty of the landscape, but I doubt that the the owner will ever understand that and do something about it. What a waste!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank williemakit
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We work in hotels so dont normally listen to trip advisor reviews as we know they can be untrue. But my gosh i wish we had checked this out before we came.
We have literally just had to get out of this place and check in down the road as it is so bad.
The woman that greeted us had a split in her skirt that showed a little too much. Not a nice welcome. The place smelled like an old farm building! There was dust everywhere and it was unclean. The bed linen looked about 100 years old. There is no ensuite. We said we would arrive at a certain time and were 15 minutes late but the room still wasn't ready.
The whole thing was a horrible uncomfortable experience. Please spend a bit more money and go down the road to the seamill hydro. Its worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank happycouple90
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Recent stay left us cold to say the least/ hygiene was the biggest issue. The place was filthy, rooms were unspeakably dirty, carpets, I felt like wiping my feet on the way out!! The practise of locking the guests in and not freely offering a key to the front door had to beg for key! Worried for our safety. Almost accused of being a burglar, as the excuse I don’t allow every "Tom dick Harry to have a key as I could be robbed!! "Great Host line" I’m sure the local Fire Service would be interested in the fact the host has to come down three flights of stairs (slowly, very slowly) to open the door in the morning. Her personal hygiene is quite frankly not acceptable. The bathroom which is shared by three other rooms was not fit for purpose, again filthy. The lino to the toilet is a killer!! Please, please do not allow your family or friends to put themselves in danger on every level. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Me and sister both stayed at this lovely, cute B&B. we were both attending a wedding at the hotel next door and the room rates were super expensive.cartlon seamill was good value for money and it included a delicious breakfast.the rooms were spacious and the owner was a pleasure to talk to.i would definitely recommend this B&B to my friends and would definitely go back =)

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013

If Victoriana is your love please visit this lovely b& b. Avril will give you a very warm welcome and the Scottish breakfast is excellent. We can recommend the Drummond Room with its Victorian bed. Everything about this property is original and long may it stay that way.

Room Tip: The Drummond room overlooks the garden with extending coastal views to Arran, stunning at dawn and s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Willowbank Hotel
Willowbank Hotel
#1 of 3 in Largs

Been to Carlton Seamill B & B? Share your experiences!