Carlton Seamill B & B
The Waterside Hotel(West Kilbride)
US$229
US$194
Seamill Hydro(West Kilbride)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$90
US$74
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This B&B gets wildly divergent reviews: either "dreadful, smelly etc" or "excellent, friendly etc". If you expect sanitised, freshly decorated, magnolia and white rooms then it's not for you. It's quirky, slightly tired and not sparkling. It's an old, rambling, lived-in house, and the owner is a friendly, talkative Mary Beard lookalike. She is intelligent, well read and slightly eccentric and would be Alex Polizzi's worst nightmare. the B&B is NOT smelly, but little attempt has been made to create the B&B you see in "Four In A Bed". However, it is perfectly acceptable: the beds are clean and you can have anything you want for breakfast, although she won't open the tin of grapefruit unless you ask ("Why waste it?"). I was perfectly happy to chat endlessly, as a single traveller. My only cricicism is that £60 is over-pricied for a room without ensuite: I think £35-40 would be fairer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank classicalpete
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This b&b has many different qualities however, they are some what hidden. I would say the lady means well but possibly needs to take a look at some of her competitors pricing and facilities. I found this b&b not to standard regarding cleanliness and facilities.

The view is the most stunning i ve seen in a long time but if I am honest this home should not be run as a b&b.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Lexington1982
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Loved our stay here! Beautiful traditional Scottish house! This is not a hotel, it is a lovely household with a very homely feel. We had a great view and Avril took care of us the entire time. Very happy with our stay in the Carlton Seamill B&B

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank schfitz92
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner an friend who was having a wedding in the Seamill Hydro. On arrival about 3.45 we where greeted with a older women, very unhygienic, personal hygiene was vile. The B&B it's self smelled horrendous, very old fashioned full of clutter. Took to the room and told it was ready but she would sort it when we where out at the wedding. We where told to call if we would be later than 1pm as she waits up for you coming back.
On return from the wedding she greeted us, proceeded to tell us that there was a leak in the room, she had towels all over the floor, apparently this had been fixed and she is going to get it sorted. She had closed the windows and shutters we we have left it open for some fresh air hoping it would make the room a bit more pleasant.
Advised breakfast would be ready at 10am, didn't come until about 10.30. Personally I couldn't eat any of it I was put of with the owners personal hygiene so couldn't bring my self to eat anything! I've never experienced anything like it! Do not stay here!!! Even after I left I had to shower when I got home. Felt like I could smell the place all over me!! Disgusting doesn't even describe it!!

• Stayed: October 2013
8  Thank Vrobdaz
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was delighted to be able to return to Carlton Seamill, this time in summer. The room was a different one, also beautifully vintage in decoration and immaculately clean and tidy. The stunning view of Arran, part of what had drawn me back, was as good from this room as the previous one. There are some world class visitor attractions within easy reach of this B&B, as well as excellent dinner venues,which the hostess Avril recommended. Fellow guests were cosmopolitan and interesting conversationalists at breakfast, at which we were provided with first class servings from the wide range of possibilities. Well worth a visit!

Room Tip: The full Scottish breakfast is superb.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo