“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Glasgow
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Me and my husband had our wedding here 3weeks ago and it was amazing the staff were outstanding! One of my guests asked for a drink but the bar didn't have it! Then somehow a short time later the bar had it and came lookin for my guest to tell them they now have it, i think they went and bought it which was so nice of them!
When planning the wedding the hotel helped take so much of the pressure off us couldn't fault then at all.
Goin back soon :-)

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights for a wedding which was on a Friday. The hotel is a funny mixture of new and old and i'm going to base my comments on UK standards as if you read my other reviews its not possible to put this hotel against such like the ITC Gardinia in Bangalore!!

So, the good. The staff, just friendly and funny with top sense of humour. The hotel is perfectly placed in Largs near everywhere you'd want to wander and walking distance from the train station.
Food was lovely though don't be afraid to ask on a morning for a different breakfast thats not on the menu. Although I could happily eat a full fatty, i quite enjoy a healthy breakfast so i asked for poached eggs and some other bits while my friend got poached eggs and smoked haddock. Yummy.
Bathroom Shower was lovely on the first floor, i was away from noise (nearly) so room was peaceful and bed although a tad too soft was comfy and warm

The bad. In honesty nothing too bad that should put you off. As i travel a lot I tend not to take toiletries everywhere as most hotels of this standard provide. However I felt this is a let down in that area. Shampoo and body wash all in one tiny tube (no conditioner) and not much of that either. Sounds silly but honestly its a wedding venue so a good majority of the guests are ladies (sometimes) so would be nice to have the toiletries sorted for those who have forgot or travel light.

The room, I agree with the lack of sockets but i still had enough to charge everything i needed. However my room was freezing!! Gorgeous views from the double sash windows of the sea but very draughty. Would suggest making sure your room is not over or near the "party" though as it can get noisy. I was in 102, quite quiet and a good size too.

Food, only one down side. Breakfast hours are short so make sure you remember is finishes by 9:30am. I wasn't told this but in fairness the chef did make me a stunning breakfast at 9:40 without hassle.

The Ugly… sorry but the price. If you can get a deal on this place for under 90 then thats great and i think worth it BUT standard price being 115 is just to steep. Profits have to be made to keep this place going and make changes as needed but I think its a bit too much.

Tip, if you are outside of Scotland and not sure how to get there, Largs is easy from Glasgow central and is a beautiful train ride for less than 10.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room far from the function end of the hotel unless you are the last man standing...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kelly C
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My initial thought when seeing the hotel from the outside was 'very nice indeed'. Beautiful front age and equally beautiful reception area.

Attending a wedding reception we checked in at a busy reception desk. The gentleman who was checking us in took my husbands wallet out of his hands and opened it looking for the card!! I did think this was a micky take, but no, clearly we were not fast enough for him! My husband thought this was quite funny, I was mortified and the only reason I did not make a fuss was because the wedding reception was about to begin!

Our room was on 2nd floor, we were not offered a lift facility and were directed via the stairs.

Up the stairs onto first floor...hmmm..lovely...along the corridor, through the door ( upto 2nd floor rooms 205-208), into diagon alley!!!!! Dark, dismal and bloody freezing! A corridor light out. Up another flight of stairs, with loads of luggage. The anaglypta wall paper had rips in it, there was a hole in the wall were the door kept hitting it, the carpet, black in colour, needed a bloody good hoover. Little Cobwebs covered the light shades and dirt was on the inside.

Our room was tired but quite clean. A bit of dusting of the wooden, old fashioned spindled bed head was needed but that was about all. The bed was two singles that joined together. A big ridge in the middle so no snuggling on the agenda! The mattress did not have a mattress cover, Alex Polizzi would have a frothy! The sheet was not fitted and kept coming off, but all said and done the bed was reasonably comfy. A light bulb out on the bedside light but was replaced immediately we reported it. One of the curtains was ripped and looked really yukky but I tried to hide it. The draft from the windows was, well, draughty! There was the lack of sockets for hair drier, phone charger etc. the wall was thin and on the Saturday night we heard the young lads next door, who were attending a wedding, laughing and talking, they were not making excessive noise and me thinks they just popped up to the room with mates to raid their stash of ale! Big bone of contention was the creaking of the floor boards! No, I kid you not, I really mean creaking, gave hammer house a run for its creepy money!!! What made up for the general tiredness of the room was the view...OMG......it was just beautiful, even in the rain!! I sat and just people and ferry watched!!

Our bathroom was massive and refurbished and was lovely, no bath, just a nice big shower. Water pressure was low and on the Sunday morning we had no water at all from the shower and had to make do with a strip wash!!! Apparently, the reception told us, an airlock occurs on the second floor and water flow stops......oh great!

The food. Breakfast was brilliant, choose the full monty, fresh, hot and delicious, BUT, tea and coffee was from conference flasks!!! No fresh tea and coffee!! The coffee tasted cheap and I avoided it. Basic cereals, juices, toast, yogurt and cheeses were available.This hotel should aim for a breakfast award by providing a more individualised menu. Breakfast only available from 08.00 - 09.30, not good the day after the night before but a room service for full breakfast was available. The restaurant and bar area were modern and clean and constantly full morning noon and night, with people coming from the local area, to dine. We had dinner on our second night...we were so glad we chose to stay in. The food was amazing, hot, tasty and served in a timely manner and very reasonably priced. Bit of a quip from the man who had checked us in, who was now waiting on, about the young lady on the next table, something about the size of her mouth...very Basil Faulty style, lolol....but he was very efficient and seemed to be on the go morning to night.

I am really hoping that the second floor is tired because it is next in line to be done up. Housekeeping and maintenance really need to get on top of basics up on second floor.

The housekeeping staff were lovely. Reception and waiting on staff could do with a bit of a gee up on the welcoming front but were polite and efficient when we needed something.

The hotel seems to have two different standards on the two floors. It isn't a boutique hotel but it does the job. The chefs need to be congratulated because all food, from wedding reception, dinner and breakfast were beaut! Some coordination needed with the banqueting staff and certainly think about investing in microphones so guests can hear the speeches. A more formal attitude needs to be taken by the banqueting manager when introducing bride and groom and speeches.
So, stay here. Its great but I suggest you ask for a first floor, nice room facing the front not over the banqueting hall. Avoid the top floor like the plague. EAT HERE!! The food is fab. Enjoy the views, the beach and take a ferry over to Millport and get an icecream from the art deco building down the street...it was heaving on a sat afternoon in the rain and wind!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank caroline m
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Got this through Itison voucher and went for a midweek break to Largs. Everything that was offered on the voucher we got even drinks on arrival !! Prices for drink were reasonable in the bar and the 3 course meal and breakfast was superb and worth the money alone ok its not a 5 star hotel but its clean tidy and ideally located for a wee break. Staff were superb especially the waiteress(apologies cant remember her name but she served dinner and breakfasts and worked behind bar she never stopped and nothing was a problem) the room was very hot even though heating was off but I would rather be like that than cold

1 Thank Heather T
Paisley
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at Brisbane Hotel late November '13, this was my first experience of the hotel and the second time my wife had stayed here.

The hotel has a lovely setting overlooking Largs beach, the entry to the hotel is very modern and welcoming, as were the reception staff who quickly dealt with the oversight of a travel cot not being assigned to our room.

The room itself, for me, was a massive let down. The room was extremely small in size with virtually no space for the small travel cot making the stay uncomfortably squashed, the decor was little better than average however it was certainly clean. I can only assume the room was situated above the main function room within the hotel as the noise levels were incredible, in fairness there was a wedding on however I felt it impossible to actually sleep until the music stopped around 2am. I had called reception on two occasions however I got no reply each time. Thankfully my 2yr old son didn't find any problem in sleeping.

In fairness to the hotel, I didn't make them aware of my complaint the following morning as I left for work very early the next morning and didn't have the time. Due to this I am also unable to rate the breakfast - which I'm told was nice.

My rating is largely based on the room size/quality, especially considering the cost, and the noise within the room - if it was a Premier Inn I'd certainly be looking for my 'no sleep' money back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the west side of the hotel to ensure you are not near to or above the function roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryan264

Travellers are raving about these Largs hotels

glasgow
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at the Brisbane Hotel on 15th March 2014 using an itison voucher . On arriving at the hotel we were told our room was not ready we were asked to have a seat in the restaurant area and offered a complimentary drink the waitress then came over and told us our room would be about a 30 minute wait and gave us a complimentary lunch we thought this more than made up for our room not being ready. The staff could not have been any nicer. We stayed on the 2nd floor room 201 the room was clean but could do with a bit of a makeover large stain on the ceiling from water damage really needs to be addressed , the leather sledge bed has seen better days .The floor boards were really creaky so people underneath must have heard us walking about. Also when other guests are having a shower the noise comes straight through the room.Our shower also did not work this only came to light in the morning before we checked out so we informed staff of this. We probably would stay again if we got another deal but definitely would not pay full price.

Room Tip: Ask not to be given room 201.
1 Thank molly072
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Enjoyed a lovely two day break at this hotel. Food was superb and amazing value for money and staff could not do enough for us. The modern decor was appealing and lighting was stylish . We will be back!

Room Tip: Lovely view from room 205 front facing
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largs
Willowbank Hotel
#2 of 2 in West Kilbride
Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
#10 of 24 in Largs

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!