“Nice comfortable place, pity about the design”

Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Yet another Work Stay, but because of the location and lack of personal transport, not one I'd have chosen myself though.

It's a vry typical Holiday Inn Express, in a pleasant and, if you do have a car, very convenient location.

However, if you do not have a car it is more than slightly out of the way, especially when you want to do a bit of shopping.

Evening meal, a Tikka Massala, was ok. Very similar to a mid-range supermarket ready meal, nothing special, but at least edible.
Breakfast was the standard HIEx offering of baked beans, mediocre sausages and re-constituted scrambled egg. Edible, filling but..........

A typically comfortable room with a decent bed, nothing special and apart from a couple of issues, pleasant enough, but with one BIG plus. The windows open and allow a decent fresh air circulation, though some might find the permanent whoosh of the adjacent motorway intrusive.

First issue is no bath. My aged bones have reached the point where a long, relaxing bath is becoming essential. a shower just does not do it, though it must be said that the show has a decent flow rate and temperature.

Second issue. The hotel provides a kettle and a TV. For work, I am lumbered with an i-phone and an i-pad and for personal use I have a personal mobile and the laptop I'm using to create this report which, being nearly as decrepit as myself, has a battery life measured in seconds rather than hours.
To power and charge all this, the hotel have thoughtfully provided a munificent total of TWO sockets! One of these is in such a position that it can only be conveniently used to power the TV!!

Speaking of the TV, brings me to my 3rd niggle. I am not a TV watcher, but appreciate how I can listen to Radio 3 using the digital TV system.
EXCEPT in Holiday Inn Expresses which insist on using their own clunky system to operate the TVs and restrict my listening to Radio 1, Radio 4 and a couple of local stations.

To round off though, I can not speak highly enough of the staff. Very helpful and willing to go out of their way to assist.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your comments on the staff helpfulness.
The hotel is in negotiations with the local bus company to provide transport to and from the town centre.
Hopefully this will provide a much needed service for any guests who do not have any transport. We will look into the possiblity of adding additional sockets in the bedroom for the convienence of our guests. Holiday inn Express hotels only provide showers and not baths.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The first night was fine. The curry in the empty restaurant was reasonably good pub grub and my room was comfy and quiet,even though there was a joint room through a door.
The second night was different. The food in the empty restaurant was very poor. Fish and chips was ordered and I waited,expecting some sort of battered fish,chunky chips and mushy peas(Well it was 12 quid on the menu!). I was presented with some dry,singed,straw like chips and three small fillets of the frozen variety,and no mushy peas either,and it was even undercooked.
The waitress apologized and I accepted,mainly because I felt sorry she had to work there.
My meal was done again. I ate it. I was starving.
I went up to my room which was noisy.

Dear Guest,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service and product, this will be addressed as a training need with our food and beverage team. We strive to deliver a high quality meal experience and failed to achieve this on this occasion. I hope this does not deter you from using our hotel in the future.
Kind Regards Isabella little

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The total cost for two persons for bed and breakfast was £45.00 per night. For this we were not expecting much.
There is a Carvery type family pub restaurant next door - we chose not to dine in there, not our scene. The hotel food menu looked basic and from previous experience is normally disappointing however we did not try the food in this hotel.
You will need a car if you do not want to spend your time at the hotel.
Location is good - you can be in most towns in Lanarkshire (Coatbridge/Airdrie/Motherwell) in under 10 mins drive.
Glasgow city centre is less than a 15 minute drive - we travelled to Glasgow Fort for dinner in under 10 mins.

Hotel is basic, but has everything you need for an overnight stay if you are content with no frills - limited TV channels and no bath - only a shower.
Rooms were on the small side, but clean.

They were short staffed at reception and the bar which was a tad frustrating - however the girl who did serve us at both was extremely pleasant.
We registered a credit card on arrival to the room to make charges if necessary - please note this is pointless as they still presented us with a bill for our two drinks on check out and advised they could not deduct from my card - depsite taking a £50 pre auth.

I wouldnt rush back - and certainly would not choose if I wanted a nice relaxing weekend, however as a stop over or last minute with nothing else available (as this was) I would consider.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments. We will address your concernes regarding staffing and limited TV channels, however sorry but baths are not standard in all Holiday Inn Express hotels.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at Strathclyde in early January and found the hotel to be conveniently located and good value for money.

Plenty of car parking is available and on arrival I was checked in quickly with clear directions to the room provided. The room itself was the standard Holiday Inn Express design which was clean and well maintained whilst it was more than comfortable for a one night stay.

Food was available in the bar area in the evening whilst there is also a Carvery opposite. There was a decent choice of dishes available on the menu with a good range of drinks also available at the bar. The food I ordered was freshly prepared and tasted very nice.

During the night there were no disturbances whilst there was very little noise from the nearby motorway. The bed was comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.

In the morning the regular Holiday Inn Express breakfast offering was available which included a few hit items along with the continental choices.

Overall a good stay, the only disappointing thing was on the welcome letter I received it said I should have been issued with a points voucher for the rewards club and was not, however I was back home before noticing this.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed for one night on my way to Glasgow for a business trip. As you would expect from an international hotel chain, this HI Express is very similar to all of the others I have stayed in. The staff were friendly, the room was clean and the breakfast buffet was adequate and with a variety of food available. Despite being next to the motorway I couldn't hear the traffic which was a pleasant surprise. The hotel does a small range of evening meals from the bar, and there is a pub next door if you prefer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you Adrian for your positive comments, i will pass these on the the staff look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed overnight recently and found the hotel good value and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable and perfectly adequate for an overnight stay. The hotel has a bar, and also a pub/eatery literally a few yards across the car park.
Breakfast was very reasonably priced and self service buffet style. The hot foods on offer were slightly limited but certainly plenty to eat.

All in all a pleasant stay and I would be happy to stay here again if in the area in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear David R,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am delighted ti to hear that you were satisfied with our friendly and helpful staff, cleanliness and breakfast service at the hotel. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 December 2013

A very basic room, the Pillows supplied were awful P3 man made totally uncomfortable, Bed covers was in the same vein although surprisingly I was warm through the night.
Breakfast was extremely basic, but for the price £20 each to share(booked 6 months in advance)I guess you get what you pay for

Room Tip: very basic room, the Pillows supplied were awful P3 man made totally uncomfortable, Bed covers was i...