“Have stayed in better”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Have stayed in better”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking of 2 rooms for 2 adults 3 children during Common Wealth Games. Reception staff not very knowledgeable about anything really or even remotely interested in finding out answers to our questions. Rooms were amazingly hot it baffles me how they don't have any kind of climate control for such a large chain of hotels. Our room had clearly not been given any sort of clean as there was a rather thick layer of dust along the top of the bed and TV. Breakfast was average certainly nothing to shout about. All on all felt let down as we did spend close to £1000 for 2 rooms for 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2014
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry that you felt dissappointed with your stay. I will address your issues with my reception staff regarding their lack of knowledge during the games. All staff were given training on places of interest and events prior to the games and in general were fact finding and giving additional information to guests. Please accept my apologies if this same courtesy was not extended to you and your family Free Maps and leaflets were also available on the reception desk .With regard to the lack of air conditioning Unfortunately this is not standard in express hotels and the extreme weather has been unusual recently. Portable fans were purchased during this period and available from reception on request. . Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Kings Stanley, UK
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is located just off a junction of the M74. There is the large lake on the doorstep for walks, cycle rides or runs. The staff are friendly and helpful and the price includes a good buffet breakfast. Next door is a good Toby Inn if you fancy a big evening meal. Rooms are quite, but without air conditioning. I have stayed there many times over recent years and always have a good time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doctor phil B
Thank you for your great feedback. I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us. I hope we can at some point install air conditioning however this is not a standard at the moment but this may posibly change in the future

Kind Regards
isabella
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and find it to be a relly good business base. it is within easy reach of Glasgow and the serounding areas. the hotel is clean, comfortable and the servcie is good from the staff. The price is also very good hen compaired to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your positive comments I will pass these on to the team. We look forward to your next visit.

Regards
isabella
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed with our 2 children in May for 3 night. Check in was straightforward but Kayleigh (front desk) was not that friendly. When asked if I could have my 200 points added to my Priority Club Account I was told that I would need to remember my number (this is about 14 digits long and I have never had to do this in the past). I have contacted IHG and I was told someone from the hotel would contact me but I have not heard anything yet.The room was ok, just about big enough for 2 double beds, the cleanliness was questionable but we have found this to be the case at other HI hotels in Scotland (coincidence?). The room was cleaned on a daily basis. Breakfast (cooked) was limited but on a par with most HI Express breakfasts. Staff were generally friendly and a special mention to Isabella (the manager) who drove out to the supermarket and brought back some paracetamol suspension for our little one who had a temperature. The location is very good. A 20 minute drive to Glasgow city centre, the lake is close by with some great views and there is also a theme park for children. Generally our stay was fine, however I would be a lot more grateful if you could add my extra points to my Priority Club Account!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear HKB1978,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. I am delighted with your kind comments regarding our location and staff. While I am happy that you had an acceptable stay, I would have hoped you had a better experience. We would like to follow up on your other concerns so I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hear back from you soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I suspect because of its location a lot of business people stay here, but no need to let that put you off, as the hotel rooms are clean, well maintained and quiet. Nice beds, great shower, and a pretty good free breakfast. They have started offering hot items, as well as the usual toast,pastries, and yoghurts, so there should be something for everyone. Would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on business or leisure. 5 mins from motorway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much your comments are most welcome and you are too. Please come again soon
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Date of stay 18-20th May 2014

Room 233

My last review of this hotel was in March 2012 and previously to that in March 2011.
This review is to hopefully act as an update to my last reviews. I currently stay at this hotel about 4-5 times per year. The Holiday Inn Express at Strathclyde remains a cheaper style outer circle Glasgow hotel, with easy 20-30 min car access to the city if required, it is also situated within a few hundred meters of Scotland’s only all year round theme park and sits next to Glasgow’s rowing / boating lake which makes an ideal walk or run of an evening. (for info the lake its about a 4 mile loop)

If you do choose to walk round the lake, on the right hand side there is an underpass which leads over to Hamilton (under the motorway) where there is a Cinema, Supermarket and further shopping outlets. (It’s about a 20-30 minute walk, about 2 miles)

The hotel was originally owned by the Six Continents Group and was one of the first Holiday Inn Express hotels that the founding group established, it has now been sold to a franchisee (like the majority of the chain) .
Over the last few years the hotel has undergone a "makeover". This has resulted in a flat screen TV renaissance in the bedrooms, replacement of the lounge and dining room furniture. The all IMPORTANT free WiFi has been granted throughout the whole hotel since my last review

My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows: On arrival at the hotel the check in staff are welcoming and friendly. Check-in is simple and easy. The reception area is the typical open plan bar, breakfast and dining area which is always well kept, tidy and clean. The rooms, are of brand standard and were clean and tidy and well maintained. A number of other reviewers have complained of the softness of the beds, however I found the bed to be just the same as every other hotel in the chain with no noticeable difference.

The hotel has a free car park which I have never encountered a problem with.

The breakfast (complimentary) is now the typical Holiday Inn Express “part English, part continental” which is a mix of croissant and pastries and or sausage, powdered scrambled egg mix and baked beans, with toast or bread option and machine orange and coffee available. A number of reviewers have posted that bacon is noticeably missing from the breakfast options, however Holiday Inn Express do not offer bacon as part of their branded breakfast, Bacon is available in the more expensive Holiday Inn chain.

The hotel does provide an evening meal service which I have not tried to date. As with most Holiday Inn Express’s they are happy to let you order food in from local takeaways (menus are available from behind the bar). Opposite the hotel is the "standardised" Tobey Carvery which is available apparently for "good food" but this review is not for that particular chain. Check-out is normally a pain free process with very helpful staff.
You ask why I stay, the answer is simple, on the staffing front, as a seasoned traveller, a special mention to the following staff members, David from the breakfast team who always wears a smile and is always happy to say hello.

David (who was front-of-house staff then the Food Manager and subsequently the night porter) who over the last many years has been the heart and soul of the hotel for many a weary traveller sadly was not here on my visit (come back soon David)

Finally Isabella who is quite simply the nicest hotel Manager I have had the fortune to meet, so much so if I could copy her into every hotel I wash up in, I would.
In summary I have sustained this review as a 4/5 for an older style looking Holiday Inn Express that has the extra special staff touch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Regular Guest

A big big thank you for your excellent feedback. You are a great ambassador for this hotel and understand the Holiday inn Express brand concept very well. I will pass on your comments to the relevent staff and all of the team here at Strathclyde.
I look forward to your next visit.
Irthlingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights. Convenient location means a lot of business traffic stays there - large trucks and vans when we stayed.

Room large enough and clean and tidy. Shower was nice. Beds are soft but you'll never please everyone with beds will you? Breakfast included and whilst I was happy with what was on offer, I was surprised there was no bacon with the rest of the cooked offerings.

Location easy distance from Glasgow or Edinburgh and so ideal from that point of view.

My one gripe might be that the bed was too soft for the wife but the sofa bed was just right for her. Only one issue was no bedding available for it. If you have the bed, you should be able to get the bedding right? We were offered a blanket but not ideal in any way.

Parking good and plentiful - enough so my car did not get knocked and scratched - CCTV is another nice security thing.

For the money - yeh, it was fine. Staff there were pleasant enough and all in all, not a bad place.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMStrathclyde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your feed Steve. Sorry you were only offered a blanket for the sofabed. We always provide full linen prior to arrival for any requested sofabed.
I will address this with the staff concerned as a training need.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5? Share your experiences!