“Old and tired venue.”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Motherwell
Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
“Old and tired venue.”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We attended a family party at this venue and most of the guests were disappointed. The widows needed cleaned and the whole place needed some TLC. The toilets were in disrepair and in poor condition and the choice at the bar was poor. The staff were pleasant but the overall experience was not great.

Some family members stayed overnight and have vowed not to return. One bedroom did not have a lock while another had a shower which was extremely unpredictable.

It is a pity because the riverside adjacent to the Hotel is really nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Willie_G1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Having previously stayed here in 2007 and been generally happy with the hotel, this place has truly gone down the pan. Damp room, bathroom with broken fittings, dodgy lights, heating setting that is changed as soon as you leave the room, so you come back to a cold room with damp sheets.. Didn't feel safe at night with the door that did not lock properly, we had to put a chair up against it to prevent anyone getting in. The doors all seem to have been kicked in and left un-repaired. A total lack of security (think 'leave the key under the rock' territory)...Golfballs all over the corridors outside the rooms (someone playing golf?!). The breakfast is both stingy and cold, the 'restaurant' dirty, the previous day's function mess had not been cleared away. Dusty cobwebs, overgrown garden, the list is almost endless. You will also end up walking down the hill through the housing estate to get home late at night as many taxi drivers just point blank refuse to go there. You should too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carl l

Travellers are raving about these Motherwell hotels

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We had travelled a long way. We had booked three rooms. We did it through Booking.com and NO I did not read the reviews! Why cause I trusted Booking.com and never thought you ever needed to check a review. How wrong was I!!!

In this economic climate I hate having to say anything that would prevent others using a business. But with this Hotel I wish I had read the reviews cause I would not have stayed there and I never will again.

The hotel smells damp and dirty. The function room,leads onto the bar area. There must have been a function the night before as dirty table cloths and a variety of other stuff, including breakfast dishes, were on the floor and bar area when we arrived at around 6pm.

The rooms were clean, very dated and basic and the sheets were good quality cotton but the beds were damp and felt wet when your limbed into them. They were comfortable but it felt so wrong.

We also had to lock the front door when we came back as we could not find anyone to speak to.

One night we thought and what a long night it was. Breakfast was a total disaster if not a food hygiene nightmare!

Sorry but this is my humble opinion.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian L
Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I went here for a family party at the weekend and enjoyed it though there were a couple of wee things about it that weren't brilliant. The function room was nicely set out but it was very cold, and when someone at our table asked they were told that the heating was up full. But once the room filled up and the party got started it did get a bit warmer. The buffet itself was nice and there was plenty of it. I had heard mixed opinions locally about the Old Mill though it is a fairly popular party venue locally. I would say that although we had a good night, they could done a few small things that would have made it a great, like make sure the heating works or putting in draught-proofing.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fiona M
Blackwood, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We booked here for xmas day dinner which was £40pp x8 of us , when we arrived we were crammed into a small hall and not enough space at the table, the table was not set up for our sitting to start with! the orders were not all taken down some where missed, the food came out in dribs & drabs & was cold, some plates were missing items, there was absolutly no table service at all we all wanted a glass of wine but no one came near the table for a drinks order, there were no rolls or butter for the soup, when we asked for this the staff seemed annoyed with us, & too top it all off the head waitress was extremly rude to my mother when she asked for extra milk, as we were handed a very small cup of milk to go round 8 of us, it filled 3 cups, can i please add we are a nice family & def not the sort to complain or winge at nothing, this service was appauling so i felt i had to write something as when paying that price per head on xmas day you expect things to be nice.........worst experiance at a restaurant in my life strongly advise you not too go, also forgot there was no heating either very very sad !!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank claire447
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Had a good party night here on 22 dec 2012, was dreading it due to the bad reviews and a friend saying how bad it was and had also heard the story of the toilet fiasco, when we arrived it did smell very damp and this made my spirits go down further, but from then on it was a great night.Lovely hot food served very quickly by pleasant friendly staff. Only thing I didn't like is that the veg and potatoes are served separately which I hate cause I don't want to take too much so end up taking lot less, but apart from that no complaints Piping hot soup with crusty bread or melon for starter, turkey with trimmings, beef or veg choice main course and fruit strudel and custard of xmas pud and cream for desert. Who can complain for under £10 per person.Staff lovely and friendly and can't do enough for you Dj till 1 am and toilets were very clean with loads of toilet rolls and taps that did work, yes the floor is uneven but I lived near here about 30 years ago and it is a kinda quaint building hence the sloped floor and stairs down to sinks as it was all those years ago but it makes it a nice quaint place being like this and anyhow I don't go to a night out to live in the toilets. I really expected a terrible night but had a great time and all for under £10, we usually pay £40 for xmas night and it may not be the poshest but depends who your company is too, night is what you make it. By the way staff I was with the Boyd party and thanks for a great night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank letitia114
Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

This place could be a lot nicer. But as a place for a guy to crash after a night out it was good enough... Just. Wouldn't take my partner! Is one thing being budget but though the bedding & towels were fresh, the fog of cigarette smoke in the corridor barely disguised the smell of damp on the stairs.

Next time I'll probably just pay more for a better place.

• Stayed December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club
The Alona Hotel
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!