“Dishonesty”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Motherwell
Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Newcastle, Australia
“Dishonesty”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I could have turned a blind eye to the dirty and depleted state of the hotel. We discussed with the owner/manager (not sure what he was) the fact that we had been told breakfast was included. Apparently our booking pre-dated the hotel ceasing to provide breakfast. We asked for a cheaper price for our rooms which we received.

I inadvertently left a folder of all our trip plans, future booking details, etc, in a public area. That was found by the staff and left at reception for me the next morning. When I looked in that book there were pages that had been removed. I am alleging that the manager removed these as he was annoyed at us for disputing the cost of our rooms, ie, no breakfast so should be cheaper. I did not realise this until we had left so could not go back and confront him.

This hotel is to be given a wide berth. It is dirty, the function room had not been cleaned up from the night before with food on tables, etc, the dining room had breakfast stuff still out and tables not cleared. (Even though he said they did not do breakfast and had not for some time???)

There was a wheelie bin in the river outside my window. My window could not be closed. The only thing that was clean was the bed linen. One room had no towels and when they were handed over one was dirty.

Very disappointing and this hotel should be closed down. Is there not a hotel inspector somewhere who could do this?

Room Tip: There would be no good room in this establishment.
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Yvonne H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Norwich
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I had booked two of our Guys into this hotel for four nights. Shortly after arrival they asked if I had checked the hotel out on Trip Advisor as it was rather like Norman Bates' place in Psycho
The restaurant was closed and looked like it would never open again. The rooms were filthy with dust and one had the 'sticky' floor as described in a Trip Advisor review. They stayed just one night! How has this place survived and more to the point why?

2 Thank Trish J

Travellers are raving about these Motherwell hotels

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Attended a party here and had a room booked which was absolutely disgusting behind the bed was thick with dust the bedding was damp the toilet was dirty obviously the room hadn't been cleaned from previous guests also it was frozen in the room, down at the bar wasn't any better hardly any spirits nor was there much of a selection of lager etc on draft fridges empty have no idea how this place is open and how the environmental health hasn't shut it down wouldn't recommend this place for anything a know people say u get what h pay for but this is just disgusting a total joke for a hotel! That is just my honest opinion.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Biglashes1888
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

For my one night stay in August 2013 I was accompanied by a French colleage on his first visit to the UK, a one-way trip of just over 1000 miles for him. We stayed in Preston en-route. The accommodation at the Old Mill was not booked until the day of our stay. I had selected several hotels/guest houses in the locality of our work from 'the good words' on their websites. I had not had time to read any reviews. All were fully booked except for the Old Mill. (Wonder why?) The only available room, a twin, was booked for one, possibly two nights.

We found it easily but the entrance road with its potholes and debris should have given an indication of what was to come. I was handed a receipt for my card deposit and later found out that it was for the full two nights. On our return to the Old Mill we informed the lady at reception that it would only be for one night as my colleague with a thousand mile drive ahead of him was very keen to get home for at least part of the weekend. She said that that would not be a problem but could not issue a refund immediately as the card machine "had got wet" and would do so when a new one arrived on Friday. In fairness this was done. After changing, we were about to go out to find food when we asked what time breakfast was. "There is no breakfast, you've only paid for the room, the chef is on holiday". Being in something of a state of shock she directed us to a nearby superb buffet style Chinese restaurant.

The website I believe described the beautiful view over the nearby river.....more a stream really. Beautiful? Yes, if you consider the partial blockage due to branches and debris washed downstream and a 'wheelie-bin' on its side in the water. The beds were comfortable and we slept well after our day's work. Tea and coffee facilities were provided, a biscuit or two would have been nice,......but not one teaspoon! We ended up stirring our coffee with our tooth brushes!

The bathroom was adequate, clean, but in need of a facelift as was the general decor but without destroying the character. The Old Mill is in a superb location and many relatively inexpensive improvements could be made....like removing the wheelie-bin.

We left at 07.15 on the Friday morning. The reception desk/office was closed and no sign of any staff around. I needed a receipt for my expense account and it took two e-mails and two telephone calls before I received a very basic e-mail confirming the one night stay.

'Breakfast' was purchased at the nearby Tesco Express and eaten whilst waiting for our client's premises to open at 8am. My work frequently takes me around the UK out of some 40 locations so far the Old Mill was by far the worst. Certainly won't be going back!

1 Thank DavidP165_13
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

lovely little hotel, great value for money, stayed on a business trip, rooms were basic but clean for £40 per night excellent value, plenty of fresh clean towels and hot water, manager friendly and provided me with lots of local information

2 Thank james b
Chipping Sodbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Saw a review of 4.7 thinking out of 5. Big mistake, out of 10! At end of housing estate down dark, poorly surfaced road. Looked rough but had already booked. Room was very basic and dirty, cobwebs on ceiling. En-suite clean but toilet cistern broken. Spare pillows dirty with cigarette burns. Towels and sheets clean. No toiletries provided. I would not recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank ells57
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Was at a charity night which was a great night, but overall the actual place was a HUGE LET DOWN unfortunately, cleanliness has a lot to be desired staff weren't that friendly or helpful either, also smelt funny smell from one of the rooms, they were smoking in, toilets need a good clean put you off using them too, just a huge let down

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank MrsIDonnelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club
The Alona Hotel
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!