“DO NOT GO HERE!”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Motherwell
Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
“DO NOT GO HERE!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked this hotel for two blocks of 3 days, as I was taking part in the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with my dog.

The first room did not have a functioning lock.
The ground floor room I was given the next day was damp, to the extent that my socks were damp when I walked across the carpet without shoes. The carpet was filthy, and stained in places. The internet connection was very unreliable, the flushing mechanism on the toilet was broken, the hair drier didn't work. There was food left in a drawer from a previous occupant. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall, and the curtains came off the track when I attempted to close them. The worst aspect was the bed. It was damp to the point of being clammy. The duvet underneath the cover was stained and filthy, and there was a blood stain on the mattress.
As I had my Scottie with me I was told that I could use the fire exit next to the room for ease of reaching the garden. To do this I had to climb over a law mower and other assorted rubbish.
Outside was dank and depressing. The grass required cutting, there was rubbish lying around, and all the picnic tables were covered in mould. The waterfall would have been an attractive feature had it not have been for the rubbish in the water!
Breakfast was disappointing. I'm a vegetarian and was provided with two fried eggs and two slices of white bread toasted, though there was cereal available.
I was so unhappy there - even my dog hated it, that I left after the first 3 days, and decided to go home and commute from home 90 miles away, for the last of my rehearsals and the performance itself.
My Visa card was debited for the full 6 days of my stay before I arrived. I have been in touch with Visa with a view to a refund.
I have stayed in many budget hotels in Britain and Europe, but never one as desperate as this.
There was nothing whatsoever to recommend this hotel.
My daughter had looked at some of the reviews before I arrived, and noticing some comments regarding broken locks on the doors, contacted Andy, the proprietor, to seek assurance that my room would be safe, and was assured in advance that this would be the case. Not so!

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms were at least not damp, but otherwise no better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Isla R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel february 14th 2014 for the week end and had to leave it the next morning absolutely filthy... the bathroom was so dirty i had to clean it before i could put my son in the bath , floor was all damp and there was damp up the walls , the radiator in the bathroom was disgusting and the debris on the floor yuk.... i went to close the curtains and they fell down and there were sockets that were all broken , no one to be found to complain too, went to another hotel to stay which was spotless , just left the keys and went . When i got home i phoned the enviromental health to complain and they have since done a visit and told the owner that the place has to be cleaned up ... dont use this hotel unless you check it out first that its been cleaned up... I am posting photos so you can be aware of this

Room Tip: rooms are damp , this hotel is in need of a total renovation
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank debbs2014

Travellers are raving about these Motherwell hotels

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked this hotel for my wedding. Not only was it the best Value for money (half the price of other local hotels) but the hotel was immaculate and the food was delicious! And once set up it was absolutely beautiful.Only downfall was that my husbands first marital duty was to dispose of a huge spider in our bath but given the location I am not surprised.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Kerrywoods
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Held our Christmas Party at this hotel. This was the second time of doing so. We had a group of 12. The party night is really outstanding value. Unlike other Christmas parties we have booked, the food was plentiful and delicious. We have been to other parties which cost three or four times as much and had less satisfactory fair. In addition the bar prices are more than reasonable for a hotel.
The service was exemplary with really friendly staff who were anxious to make sure that we all had a good time. The staff worked hard but still found the time to have a laugh and a chat with various members of our party.
Once the meal was over the dance was a great success partly fuelled by the reasonable bar prices. Everyone enjoyed themselves and left having had a good time.
This is the second time our company has had our Christmas Party at the Old Mill. Each time has been a great success.This has not been the case with much more expensive venues. at this price really find it difficult to fault. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank James M
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Toilet wouldn't flush. toilet cistern dripped all night long, and together with the noise of Niagara falls right outside our window, which had a huge crack in it we hardly slept at all. In fact at one point we dragged our bedding out into the corridor to try and get some sleep.It was also cold in the room as the radiators needed bleeding and we had to fetch a blanket out of our car to try and keep warm. The electrics left alot to be desired. one plug for the prehistoric TV , one plug for the digibox and the kettle had to be plugged in on the floor. As it happened the TV didn,t work as we had no remote control. There was only one bedside lamp instead of two. the room ceiling fitment only had one working bulb not two, and only one spotlight out of three in the bathroom were working. Skirting board was coming away from the wall and the window frames were rotting in places. Needs double glazing. Whole place was dire , dingy and depressing.We had booked for four nights, stayed for one, and when we complained to the manager he offered us another room. We said no chance , we aren't staying here any longer.
Now waiting to get our money back as promised. We'll see about that!

Room Tip: go to the premier inn in Newhouse just outside Motherwell.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anita W
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Arrived at around 7.30 at night so it was dark , if it would have been day light I would have turned round right away , the place looked run down from the outside but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. but the inside wasn't much better! no breakfast being served even though my firm had been told there was, looking at the state of the place I don,t think I would have had it anyway the place stank of damp. I was given the key to room 1 which by the look of it had not been used for some time wallpaper was hanging of the wall , the toilet was broken had to fill up the cistern with the kettle to flush it and the tv did not work! this place should be charged under the trade descriptions act! hotel no doss house yes , had some harsh words for my office on arrival and only stayed because I was out of driving hours and to tired to go anywhere else. ONE TO AVOID YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: don,t stay here at all
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony B
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I could have turned a blind eye to the dirty and depleted state of the hotel. We discussed with the owner/manager (not sure what he was) the fact that we had been told breakfast was included. Apparently our booking pre-dated the hotel ceasing to provide breakfast. We asked for a cheaper price for our rooms which we received.

I inadvertently left a folder of all our trip plans, future booking details, etc, in a public area. That was found by the staff and left at reception for me the next morning. When I looked in that book there were pages that had been removed. I am alleging that the manager removed these as he was annoyed at us for disputing the cost of our rooms, ie, no breakfast so should be cheaper. I did not realise this until we had left so could not go back and confront him.

This hotel is to be given a wide berth. It is dirty, the function room had not been cleaned up from the night before with food on tables, etc, the dining room had breakfast stuff still out and tables not cleared. (Even though he said they did not do breakfast and had not for some time???)

There was a wheelie bin in the river outside my window. My window could not be closed. The only thing that was clean was the bed linen. One room had no towels and when they were handed over one was dirty.

Very disappointing and this hotel should be closed down. Is there not a hotel inspector somewhere who could do this?

Room Tip: There would be no good room in this establishment.
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Yvonne H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
The Bentley Hotel
The Bentley Hotel
#8 of 9 in Motherwell
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!