“Haven't got breakfast right” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Rochdale, England
“Haven't got breakfast right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2009

Lovely room with digital tv and free wi-fi, this is a good hotel let down only by the horrible hard foam pillows, very patchy breakfast - previous reviewers mention the heat lamps congealing the food, and that's just what I found.
Lumps of bacon stuck together, catering standard sausages, no-one re-filling the grapefruit segments and fried eggs harder than tyre rubber.
Bear in mind the local idiots use the rear car park to demonstrate their incompetence in pulling handbrake turns and smoking their inadequate tyres in their 1.2 corsas - the local Police rarely manage to catch them, as surprise surprise, they leave once a marked plod car arrives.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank wroughtironron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Fife, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

Stayed here for a night in September, booked through laterooms.com. The hotel is easy to find and in a nice location within Strathclyde Country Park.
Our room was lovely - stylish, modern decor and spotless. And these are tiny details, but offering a kit kat chunky instead of the usual shortbread, and having Neutrogena toiletries rather than nondescript cheapy stuff, puts the Alona in my good books!
We received good service and lovely food for dinner and breakfast at the Glasshouse restaurant, maybe they've managed to sort out the problems mentioned in the previous reviews.
Perhaps because people tend to choose Glasgow or Edinburgh rather than central M8 locations, it makes hotels here work harder for your custom - so its definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
fife, scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

Well what can I say, on arrival check in was quick and efficient, rooms were spacious modern and contempory relaxing atmoshphere, our trip was purely leisure as we had our 4 year old son with us, we had a reservation for dinner which I have say the meal was lovely, staff were very good, friendly,efficient and excellent with my son. We visited m n ds in the evening for a while amusements, rides, ten pin bowling ect and it was a good atmosphere at night. Returned to the hotel where ther was a jazz band playing, once again staff efficient with everything, the band were good my son loved it a special thanks to marie, allan, jim and Iain they were fab with my son and he even ended up with the drummers drum sticks to keep. Will definately return to the hotel as a family and as couple as its very relaxing and close to theme park for kids. Would highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank cheeko1980
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were passing the area on our travels from the West coast to the East coast and decided to visit the hotel for an evening meal. The entrance to the hotel describes the restaurant as "equisite", so my expectations were raised as my wife, two young grandchildren, and myself entered the hotel.

Although we didn't stay in the hotel, this review is based on the restaurant only and it was so bad that I pass on my comments to other unsuspecting would be diners to make them aware.

We stood at the entrance to the restaurant for what seemed like ages, with the staff all choosing to talk amongst themselves rather than welcoming us. We went back into the reception area and tried again 10 minutes later, only to be ignored again. My first reaction was to walk out (which on hindsight would have been the better option) but decided to venture into the restaurant to apologise to the staff for disturbing them and could we possibly eat. Don't get me wrong, the staff were very pleasant and friendly, but their "get up and go", had just "gotten up and went", and they didn't seem as if their hearts were in their work. Although this was 6pm and the restaurant was just opening, a few of the tables still contained the remnants from lunch, a bad sign of what was to come.

The meal took about 45 minutes to arrive, even although there was only one other couple dining at that time. My wife ordered the Baked Cod Topped with a Parmesan Crust, which came with braised potatoes and peas in a pool of water and was totally totally tasteless. What can you do to make fish tasteless I ask. Upon mentioning this to the head waiter we were told that everyone said the same thing, and "maybe we should take it off the menu". No apology, just a matter of fact statement. My Tempura Chicken had obviously been frozen and each bite oozed water. The tempura batter seemd more like bad chip shop batter, soggy and tasteless. The soya and chilli dips seemed as if they were watered down as they both had no taste to them as well. Glorified and expensive children's chicken nuggets would have described it better.

In case readers think that this is just another whinger putting in bad reviews, (as I see most of the other reviews are positive), can I just say that I normally only put positive comments about food, as believe me, I'm easily pleased as far as food goes. Maybe we just caught them on a bad night. However, even our two grandchildren wouldn't taste our food, they thought it safer to stick to their own!!

Glasshouse restaurant "Equisite".....more like Execrable, utterly detestable and very bad!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FifeBOF
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

I just needed to bring a modicum of sanity to the reviews of this hotel. If you're looking for a Holiday Inn Express-type hotel located next to a seedy funfair, then this is the place for you. The rooms are adequate, without the benefit of such luxury items as air conditioning, mini bar or fridge, gym, swimming pool. The TV worked intermittently, and when it did work had a very small range of channels. Breakfast was very basic - it's difficult to mess up fried bacon and eggs, etc, but if you cook it in large enough batches and leave it under a heat lamp, then anything is possible. The joyriders doing laps in the adjacent car park were a delight in the evening - it also gives you a sense of anticipation to see if you car is still there in the morning. So I hardly think this qualifies as "the best hotel in Scotland or even the UK" as posted by another guest. I also travel very extensively worldwide on business, and am generally easy going on these things. So do you get the picture? It's just about worth the cost of the rooms, and has an attached bar and restaurant. No more; no less.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Derek Y
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

this must be one of the best hotels that i have stayed in near Glasgow. My friends and i went to a murder mystery night last weekend, and had a lovely time. The staff gave us a warm welcome, The rooms were spacious with all mod. cons. We had a lovely dinner and breakfast which was included in price of £80, great value. would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Weston Super Mare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

When I booked this hotel I thought it was going to be in a country park, did not expect a theme park, on driving up to the hotel theart sank and hought, "oh no where are we staying!!" I was very aprehensive to find it was next to a busy theme park and several bars. On checking in thought this does not seem that bad. I left my wife at the hotel when I went off to my business meeting, came back to find her sitting in the hotel bar area talking to the staff and having a very good time. Had a really good evening meal and a super night in the hotel. Walked around the bars, the lake area and watched people in the theme park. When we went to the room and it was very quiet. no intrusion from the surrounding area, the theme park closes early so no problem there. Only downside was a couple boy racers in the theme park car park late at night but not serious problem. Theme park staff did not start making any noise until late morning so again no problems. Over all a very enjoyable nights stay and will be top of my list next time I work in the area. Internet did not work which caused me a slight problem.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!