“Good rooms and good restaurant”
Review of Sands Hotel

and 1 more site!
Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burray Village
Edinburgh
“Good rooms and good restaurant”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We arrived on Orkney with no room for Saturday night and tourist info told us this was the only double room available on the whole mainland! Fortunately it was a lovely room with sea views and we had a fine evening meal there and walk along the rocky beach. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
selkirk
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Booked this hotel to go to a wedding nearby, the room was lovely, everything was newly decorated and it was very pleasant. The problem was the noise at night which started at eleven o clock and went on to midnight. On the Saturday night it was one o'clock. Breakfast was adequate although uninspiring to say the least. The dinners at night were very good and that is obviously where the business concentrates. On our last evening we returned to be greeted by "we weren't expecting you you were only booked in for 3 nights" as I had a copy of my emial confirming 4 nights we obviously weren't. Our rooms hadn't been done up and no fresh towels had been provided - this wasn't rectified. All in all it was fine but lacking something despite all the money that has obviously been spent on it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 18 March 2008

Lovely place. Lovely food. Lovely people.

So much better than I expected!!!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 27 August 2007

A great hotel. Orkney is pricey but I moved here after a 2 nights at a horrible
hotel.

food is good with local fresh seafood. Lobster can be ordered with 24 hours
notice.

Water view.

I would definately go back

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank mightymousemighty
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We stayed at the Sands Hotel for three nights as part of a tour of the Highlands and Islands.

Although this hotel has a rating of four stars in the 'Small Hotel' classification, I'm not sure how it managed to get it. Three stars would be more realistic.

The hotel was comfortable, and recently renovated, but the walls are thin (we could hear the sound of the TV in the next room, and footsteps from the room above), the rooms small and the quality of food was good rather than great. The curtains were also made of fairly thin fabric which let through the light a little too much (especially as it never really gets dark on Orkney this time of year)

On the plus side, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the prices for food and accomodation were completely reasonable.

We wouldn't stay at the Sands Hotel again - not because of anything particularly wrong, but because there is so much better choice out there.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Not up to the standard I'd expect of a four-star hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank John M
Leicester
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I was really looking forward to visiting the sands hotel and I was VERY dissappointed. We arrived at the hotel and the owner seemed pleasant at that point (if only we had realised then how rude she was!) We were shown to our hotel room - the hotel room was basic and very modern, I was very pleased and was quite confident this as going to be a fantastic place to stay! The food in the restaurant was lovely and the staff in the restaurant were very nice. I left my hotel room one morning, I went down the stairs and the owner stared at me I was unsure why and to be honest very intimidated! i left the hotel for a day out and returned at around 5:00pm I decided I would like to eat at the hotels restaurant, The owner was behind the bar and I went up and asked to reserve a table. She then started to be very rude and accused me of "flushing toilets for most of the night and jumping up and down all night" I was horrified why would I want to flush toilets all night and jump up and down, she also accused me of making other noises! ALL OF THE ACCUSATIONS WERE INSULTING AND UNTRUE! I would not recomend this hotel to anyone only go there if you want to be insulted!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The unpleasant staff and the very basic rooms!
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Jack133
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2006

We stayed in two rooms at the top of the hotel. One room had 2 beds and the other had three. They are not inter-connecting but they share the stair and feel quite separate. We liked this. The rooms were well decorated, had hospitality trays, a kettle, hairdyer and were very clean. Nice bathroom and the rooms overlooked the pier and you could lie in bed at night and hear the water wash up against the pier. Very soothing. It was very quiet and relaxing.

We ate in the hotel on 3 nights and liked the food and felt that the service was good without being over the top.

We would definitely choose to stay there if we were in Orkney again.

• Stayed August 2005
#1 of 2 in Stromness
Kirkwall Hotel
Kirkwall Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!