Hotels.com
Joanne M

A must

Review of The Sands Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Apr 2024
Lots of choice on the menu. Food was amazing and staff were so friendly and attentive. Lovely setting overlooking a working harbour. Would be lovely to sit out on a sunny day but equally as stunnig from inside (it was raining for us). Would highly recommend a visit!
Date of stay: April 2024
16.4 miles from The Sands Hotel
16.1 miles from The Sands Hotel
7.5 miles from The Sands Hotel
View more hotels in Burray Village
All reviews fish staff were friendly first class orkney islands great food steak gills bay excellent hotel lovely room three nights minute drive varied menu great night pork hand dived scallops the pub sitting room
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 March 2024

The Sands Hotel provides a truly wonderful stay. The accommodation is of a high standard, very comfortable and the staff are exceptional.

The staff go out of their way to make you welcome and chat away with the Guests.

The food is delicious and cooked to perfection!

5 star in every area 😀

Would highly recommend.

Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2024

Went out for the Winter Deal of £70 for bed and breakfast. Decided to have dinner as well. The food was delicious, the rooms so clean and comfortable with a stunning view of the pier in Burray.

The staff were so lovely and kind. If you're looking for a one night get away. I highly recommend the Sands Hotel.

We are booked to go back again in March.

Room tip: Book in advance.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2023

Without doubt the best we have eaten on Orkney in the last decade. The skerries on south ronaldsay was very good but this was better. Nice setting, nice staff ok prices and really lovely food. Fresh scallops in a lovely sauce and Cullen skink to die for. Well done the Sands.

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2023

Stopped here for lunch. Excellent service & the most wonderful rice pudding & raisins. Staff were very friendly, great location, great service. Well worth the visit. Will definitely go back there on our next visit to Orkney

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2023

Review of both the Hotel and Restaurant facility

I had the pleasure of staying at The Sands Hotel for 7 nights in August 2023 - 1 night on my own and 6 with a small group tour. I thought the hotel rooms were excellent, staff warm and welcoming and food in the restaurant delicious. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner at various times over my stay. They rotate their menu so my favorite item is off right now but it was a Prawn Marie Rose sandwich from the bar menu. It was delicious and I find myself thinking of it with a watering mouth, lol!! I’m particularly grateful to Kath, Andrew, Emma, Sallianne and Tracey for helping to make my stay memorable! Their local advice and their friendly manner were exceptional.

The only difficult thing about this location by one of the Churchill Barriers on Burray is that it would work better if you have a car.

I walked over to the beach on my free day before my tour started to see the Viking totem pole and to look for Groatie Buckies (local name for cowrie shells) as directed by the amazing Emma, lol!! No, I did not find one BUT apparently the silver bracelet designed by a local jeweler with groatie buckies attached itself to my arm!

Date of stay: August 2023