“Perfect location”
Review of Smithfield Hotel

Smithfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dounby
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the perfect location for seeing the majority of historical sites on Orkney. The hotel is situated on the corner of an intersection that works from any approach. We arrived very early (9AM from an early flight from Shetland) and asked if we could eat breakfast and leave luggage. Both were easily agreed to by the owner. The male waiter for breakfast was a personable young man who I believe also took our luggage to our room when our room was ready. The breakfast both days was good. The room was quiet and had everything we needed - which is just a good place to plug in our electronics and a bathroom. The wifi situation is still being worked out as the hotel is an older cement structure. However, they have a lovely sitting room which does have a good signal. I would definitely recommend this place to those traveling for the historical sites!

Room Tip: I believe they have two styles of rooms - one with a private bath (which we had) and those with a sh...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drsped

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is friendly and comfortable and the breakfasts are an absolute feast. The rooms smell a little of damp but that is probably an occupational hazard in an old, stone-built building on a rain-swept Island in the far north. You could not find a better spot for exploring the wonderful neolithic sites of Orkney

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Went for evening meal with my family, I would highly recommend this place 10000% very loving staff we had a waitress her hair was tied back in a bun ( with a pen in it ) very handy if you ask me, she was so helpful my husband asked her what 'tusk' was and she explained it so well and it was funny too she was great she sold it well. Food was also very good more than good it was fantastic we did write a comment card but unfortunately my son spilt his juice on it and was unable to read it so took it home with me my family and I will be back :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel serves meals for non-residents in both the restaurant and the bar.

They have two menus (Restaurant and Bar) - however you can choose from either wherever you sit.

Both the quality of the food and the service were very good indeed.

A nice range of Fresh Local Fish Available

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Albia-Newton
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Disappointed with hotel. Great location for seeing sites of Western Orkney Mainland, but hotel itself was muddly and staff seemed to struggle with service. Waited ages for evening meal on a Sunday, weren't told there was a lounge so spent evenings in bedroom. Meal sizes were vast as was the menu, but not of good quality! Room was fine and what I would have expected from a three star, although I have stayed in more comfortable rooms in B&Bs. Incorrect information on arrival meant we couldn't log on to Wifi for nearly 24 hours so wish we had brought more guidebooks. Also, annoying that had to decide on what we wanted for breakfast the evening before!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We selected this hotel for our weekend stay on the Orkney Mainland as it was close to most of the attractions we wanted to visit. It was a perfect selection. On arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and shown to our room.

The room was a good size and had a double bed and a single bed. There was also a small desk and a wardrobe and a TV. The bathroom was fairly small with a toilet, washbasin and a shower cubicle.

The room and bathroom were both clean, and the beds were also clean and comfortable. There was a free wifi connection which was useful for connecting my tablet to pick up my emails and to catch up with the news.

We had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant. The meat we had could perhaps have been a little bit more tender, but all the dishes were well presented and tasted good. Breakfast was included in the rate and we were well looked after.

The only negative issue was that our room was directly above the bar, and as it was Saturday night it was quite noisy. But thankfully the noise subsided quite early and by the time we actually went to bed there was little to disturb our rest.

All in all a very pleasant stay and definitely a hotel I would recommend for someone on a short trip to the Orkney Mainland to visit attractions such as Skara Brae, Meas Howe, Ring of Broadgar and the Standing Stones at Stennes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Have been here for dinner now a few times and it has been fabulous each time. Lovely fresh ingredients well cooked. Greay service and very good value. And unlike many other establishments in orkney even the vegetables are lovely. Have never stayed over but if the quality if the meals is anything to go by I would love to. I would certainly recommend for an evening meal. Lovely wee place.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dounby
Merkister Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village
Kirkwall Hotel
Kirkwall Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Smithfield Hotel? Share your experiences!