Get rewarded with One Key
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
fionascot_11
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

If I could give it 10 stars I would!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Jul 2022via mobile
In the current climate where every restaurant and business and hotel is short staffed and service patchy, the Smithfield Hotel manages to provide absolutely first class service. I cannot praise them highly enough!
Our stay was just lovely. Dounby is a lovely wee village about half way between Stromness and Kirkwall and is perfectly placed to visit everywhere on Orkney.
The hotel is fabulous. The rooms are well appointed and accessories provided are very high quality.
The breakfast is hearty and cooked beautifully to order. We didn't have lunch but dinner in the restaurant was fantastic. Really, really wonderful. We were so impressed, particularly when we could see that, like everywhere else, staffing is an issue.
That brings me to the staff. Without exception, they were amazing. Warm, friendly, welcoming and for the young people working there, a great positive attitude. All the staff made our stay there enjoyable.
I genuinely would highly recommend the Smithfield and I'd absolutely book again on my next visit to Orkney.
Well done Smithfield!!
34.1 miles from Smithfield Hotel
11.3 miles from Smithfield Hotel
6.9 miles from Smithfield Hotel
View more hotels in Dounby
All reviews skara brae neolithic sites comfortable rooms great place to stay absolutely first class coeliac orkney ferry
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 May 2022 via mobile

Excellent food,the starter of cheese in beer batter was a first for me and was very good as was the garlic mushrooms,the mac and cheese was loved as was my Haddock and chips crispy yet broke away beautifully one of the best dinners for a while.Though the Guinness was lovely, after waiting for 30 mins for a refill I gave up finished our meals and paid at the bar,so a missed couple of sweets and another pint,a few times the staff were were serving tables close to us but no eye contact or chat asking if food good or refills.
Shame but would still recommend as the food is excellent.

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2022 via mobile

Booked in for a meal. Lovely welcoming. Great setting. Excellent staff and service. Lots of choices. Big starters and dinners. Not the cheapest of places but a fabulous treat and worth it. Free parking. Booking is advisable. Would highly recommend this place

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2022

Were looking for somewhere that we could take the dog while we had dinner. The Smithfield said it was okay as long as we ate in the bar area. We got there and went to the bar which I would describe as a rough and ready locals bar. Everyone was friendly though and didn't treat us as if we had come from Mars!!!! The menu was quite extensive, the food was excellent and the staff were very friendly. The portions were very good. We even got a burger for the dog and he wolfed it down. We would definately come back again. Its very close to Skara Brae and other sites in the area so would definately recommend eating there after a long day of sight seeing. We didn't stay at the hotel so can't rate it's services but the food is very good.

Room tip: Didn't stay at hotel only ate there
Date of stay: April 2022
Reviewed 20 September 2021

My husband stayed here for nearly two weeks whilst fishing on Harray, in that time I joined him for five of his nights - what can I say? It was one of - if not the best and most obliging places we have ever stayed in. Nothing was too much trouble, when he was alone for his fishing break he was in the single room and on my arrival we were then in the kingsized en-suite which was lovely.
Nice linens , hot water, a superb shower and then the dining room meals which were absolutely delicious.
Breakfast was from a vast menu and provided a good start to our day, dinner was then the absolute finish. Every meal here is first class.
The bar had a very friendly feel where the young barman was chatty and gave invaluable info about the local malts.
All of the staff were so so nice and welcoming to us and the owners should be proud, of which I have no doubt they are, of what is on offer at the Smithfield.

Date of stay: September 2021
Reviewed 25 August 2021

Being a frequent visitor to Orkney, we decided to eat at the Smithfield , but we had a few issues with the meal , we spoke to the young waitress who replied sorry and shrugged her shoulders and walked away taking the payment , obviously not trained in this aspect of waitressing. I then e mailed the hotel that same evening which was ignored , after a week I repeated the e mail which was again ignored, obviously showing total contempt for my greivances. I find that is the lowest form of customer services and I will never be back there again. I am sure if they had discussed it with me it could easily have been resolved . Incidently we fould a lovely cafe / restaurant down in the south end of the islands the following night , we dined there and had an almost identical meal with none of the extra charges thrown in and far cheaper, I will certainly be back there on my next visit, and the staff , young waitresses again but fully versed on everything and very friendly

Room tip: we did not stay there
Date of stay: August 2021