Hotels.com
Vio.com
Kirstin H

Very good food

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Oct 2023
Had dinner in the restaurant at The Smithfield last night, service and food excellent. I am on a gluten, dairy and egg free diet and my choices were incredible.Very good menu. I had the Skara Brae burger without a bun (my choice) with dairy free cheese, mushroom, onion and bacon. It came with the freshest most delicious salad, beetroot relish, 2 hash browns and chips. Absolutely yummy. The Orkney beef is very good. I thoroughly enjoyed it and ate every bit. My friend had a delicious pasta dish and my Mum a steak, all thoroughly enjoyed. I highly recommend.
Date of stay: October 2023
eDreams
  • Lol.travel
2.7 miles from Smithfield Hotel
View more hotels in Dounby
All reviews skara brae neolithic sites comfortable rooms great place to stay absolutely first class coeliac orkney ferry
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 October 2023

Dinner on an autumn Sunday. Lovely setting at sunset. Friendly but slow service - still waiting for our wine while a later-arriving couple was sipping theirs - but to be fair, our server was working two rooms and they were probably understaffed. The wine was excellent. So was my wife’s dinner. I tried langoustines for the first time and was underwhelmed. I’m used to U.S. shrimp, but still. I mentioned the relative tastelessness (and perhaps a bit chewy?) to a server at a seafood-specialty restaurant a week later; she said they’re usually enjoyable and that mine were probably overcooked. So I’d skip those. The rest of dinner was very good.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2023

We had two evening meals and were pleased with the menu. Better than basic pub meals. Some lovely flavours. Very helpful to cater for my vegan wife. Food nice and hot and staff very friendly
Only negative was being charge £5 (yes ! ) for a large Lemonade from a syrup hose dispenser. Didn’t taste at all good. The beer was cheaper but I don’t drink. Had water the following night served nice and cold from a nice stoneware bottled.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2023

Highly recommend The Smithfield for an evening meal. Lovely menu and the food was absolutely delicious. The 3 waitresses on duty were all very smart and really nice and friendly a real bonus to the hotel. We will certainly be back.

Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2023 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Great food and friendly helpful staff.
Comfortable rooms and great, really tasty, locally sourced, food in the restaurant.
Good choice for all tastes and good vegetarian options are available. Booking for restaurant is advisable, but not alway necessary.

Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2023

Whilst holidaying we have been to the restaurant twice (with a third time booked). They have an amazing menu and most of the dishes are gluten free or with a gluten free option; including the desert menu. This is great as a coeliac. The food is delicious. Service is great and the venue itself is lovely. Yvonne waited on us for the first two evenings. She gave us a warm welcome both times, was super helpful and friendly.
Would highly recommend.