“Handy for standing stones, ring of Brodgar”

Standing Stones Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stenness
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Handy spot for visiting Standing Stones of Stenness and Ring of Brodgar. Also there is a live archeological dig going on on the lochside between these 2 sites which is well worth a visit.
Glad I was not paying for the room as was a bit steep at £90 a night for B&B, in a room with just an electric driponyourhead shower, and a long taxi ride from anywhere.
Had dinner in the bar area both nights - food fine, not exciting but acceptable. Nice couple of pints, including Orkney Dark Island on tap.
No-one on duty to check out at 07.00 so I had a bit of faffing to do afterwards to sort the bill - but all done efficiently

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gacks
There are newer reviews for Standing Stones Hotel

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stopped here for a lunch while on a tour, so we didnt stay in the hotel. We were given a table in the conservatory which was nice and cool. We both ordered food from the main menu, I had fish and chips and my wife had the burger. Fish was pretty good, could have done with more chips though. My wife's burger was good but we think the bacon could have been cooked longer.

We enjoyed our lunch and the pint of Scapa Special to wash it down, a great local beer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

On first impression arriving my partner and I thought we had arrived at a lovely hotel but from the moment we went for our evening meal it went downhill in a serious way. We had reserved a table at the reception like it says in the welcome pack that you can do, and when we went for our meal there was NO indication this had even been arranged, nor was there any indication of where we would eat when a reservation was made. Then going into the bar this was more like over-noisy pub with a large tv on with sports showing and loud music. When we got shown to the "restaurant" it resembled more a community hall than a nice dining area. The menu is just a photocopied sheet of paper with a bad selection of meals although the Dark Meat Pie we had was reasonably well cooked but the vegetables had a "pub meal" taste and appearance. Nothing of the eating experience really reflected the price tag of £50 a person per night we were paying.

The room we were in was overly warm, and we were annoyed as hell by the amount of noise the floors made when the guest above us was walking around. The hotel owners definitely should invested A LOT more money into preventative noise reduction throughout the rooms, and then the price tag might have warranted £50 a night a person -- right now it feels like a box standard motorway hotel for which you can pay half the money we paid. Even the furniture FEELS and looks like one of them. The bed I was sleeping on is hard, springy and uncomfortable!

My advice to the owners would be to invest in a major overhaul of room 11 if you want us ever to visit again. The B&B in Thurso we standing in charged £20 LESS and did a better job on making us welcome AND giving us a luxurious room that was the same size but quieter, nicer and better experience overall -- YES I WILL recommend highly Pennyland House in Thurso over this hotel. Maybe the owners of THIS hotel should stay there and learn from there. At least that is what the Hotel Inspector would suggest and so do I!

Unless this hotel improves I won't ever return here. One word to describe my experience of it: CRAP!

Room Tip: Don't take room 11. Rest we don't know about. The room above room 11, if you get it, then ti...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank NatmlF
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stopped here as part of my private tour with Orkney Uncovered. It is the second time I have been to Orkney and it is just so interesting. As I was here for the day I did not stay at the hotel, just ate at the restaurant. I chose to go for the soup and sandwich deal with a pint of a local beer called Scapa Special. Very good value for money and beer was good too.

Certainly a good place to stop while on tour of the Orkney's. You can also try Orkney Ice-cream here too!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Derek W
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Clean and tidy with helpful and friendly staff. My room was a bit small, but I didn't spend much time there given the nature of my trip so wasn't a problem. Had lunch in the bar which was delivered swiftly and was excellent. Good variety of lunch options available. Breakfast options fine and cooked options very good. Seems to be a poplar stopover destination for passing bus parties to have lunch, but that didn't affect the pace of service for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2013

When visiting the Ring of Brodgar and The Stones of Stennes we aimed to eat here after finding out the bar area was dog friendly and true to the reviews etc we were allowed our dog in the bar area. I do not know if the restaurant menu was different but the bar menu was very good with plenty of choice and local foods. I ordered the crab cakes (local crab) with chilli sauce and Hubby had the sesame chicken. Both were well cooked and a reasonable sized portion for lunch although they were light bites. They were tasty and freshly cooked.
The hotel itself is in a great spot convenient for the archaeological sites.
WE returned another night for drinks before we went to the last tour of Maeshowe and this time we sat outside ad enjoyed the Orkney sunshine.
We wil go back to Orkney again and we will go ac to the Standing Stones Hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stopped here as part of our private tour. We all ordered the soup and sandwich deal at £5.95 a bargain!

After our guide from Orkney Uncovered recommended the hot smoked salmon sandwiches we elected to go for that and they were delicious. We had the soup of the day which happened to be sweet potato with coconut, just delicious.

We polished off the meal with pint of Scapa Special the local beer also recommended to us by our guide. A great way to taste some of the local delights while on tour.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruby C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stenness
Merkister Hotel
#4 of 9 in Kirkwall
Smithfield Hotel
Smithfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby

Been to Standing Stones Hotel? Share your experiences!