eDreams
Vio.com
StayForLong
spekkyfox
Uddingston, United Kingdom

Perfect base to explore Orkney Mainland by car.

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 6 May 2022via mobile
The hotel has recently reopened after a couple of years and new management is making every effort to breathe life into this lovely hotel perfectly situated on the shore of Loch Stenness. Indeed what could be better than a view of the Stenness Stones and the Ring of Brodgar from your hotel window?
We dined in the bar twice and the food was excellent.
Breakfast choice was expansive and catered for all tastes and appetites.
We wish Isla and Heather and the team every success with their new venture.
Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
  • Booking.com
108.5 miles from Standing Stones Hotel
Free Wifi
Contact accommodation for availability.
2.3 miles from Standing Stones Hotel
View more hotels in Stenness
All reviews hotel is lovely perfect base to explore no lift recommend this hotel orkney mainland ring of brodgar shore bath
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 January 2020 via mobile

Went here before Christmas with friends for a meal and everything about it was excellent, a real difference from the previous Managment it’s just going 9 fold now! Excellent service from Dawn Marie and Adele nothing was a bother. Will definitely be back and highly recommend

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Dounby771
StandingStonesHotel, Manager at Standing Stones Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable evening. I will also pass on your comments to Dawnmarie and Adele. Hopefully see you again in the near future.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 24 November 2019

I stayed recently at the Standing Stones Hotel for 7 nights during my solo holiday in the Orkney Islands. Firstly, if you are at all interesting in the World Heritage site of Neolithic Orkney then you could not be better placed. Within easy walking distance are the Stones of Stennes, Maeshowe Visitor Centre, Barnhouse Village, the Watchstone, the Ring of Brodgar and the Ness of Brodgar when the excavation is open (which it was not during my visit, but I will definitely be back to see it). However this is not the only benefit as within even closer walk is the bus stop for the X1 bus, which runs from Stromness through Finstown to Kirkwall, then to St Mary's, over the Churchill Barriers, past the Italian Chapel and ending at St Margaret's Hope. This makes for very easy travel to these destinations if you are not driving.
The room was fine and clean, and everyday done over which was always very nice to come back to. I will warn you that during winter, getting out of the shower is a chilling experience but that's the climate that time of year for you.
The staff were all extremely helpful and also friendly, which is always a very big plus when travelling solo. I had a lot of good conversations either at the end of the day when I sat down for dinner, or in the morning for breakfast.
Now for food. Well, it gets a big plus from me. Breakfast was always good, and I was always down for it pretty early. There was a good choice as well for breakfast, and I discovered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs as a breakfast option. I also became very familiar with the dinner menu in the bar, which I can heartily recommened. My favourite starter was easily the deep fried, breaded Grimbister cheese (a local favourite I saw at a llot of places in Orkney), while for mains the Steak with Haggis was superb. I was a little puzzled by there being a Pork and Beef Burger on the menu but no just Beef Burger (a suggestion I would make now that I think of it would be a Beef Burger with Haggis). For puddings though, a special shout out must go to the Oreo and After Eight Cheesecake. If the name alone does not tell you how good it is, let me assure you that it is that good. I'm probably not the best to comment about speed of service as I was always there right at the start of service (I was eager to eat, then plan my next day and get an early night's sleep), but it was speedy and efficient.
All in all, a superb hotel in a superb location.

2  Thank RichardStoneCircle

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent visit to Orkney. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time and your positive comments on our service. I will certainly suggest a beef and haggis burger to the kitchen team that you can sample possibly during your next visit!
Thanks again,

Reviewed 14 November 2019 via mobile

What a great place. Stayed here last year and the difference with the new ownership is tremendous. Very accommodating, great food, beds very comfy (if you like a good firm mattress) Very clean. Cannot do enough for you.
Some great walks in the area. Lots to see so pack your walking boots

Trip type: Travelled with family

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do hope you make a return visit in the future. Thank you for taking the time to leave the review.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 November 2019

7 of us used this as a base of operations for our Goose Hunt, Great hospitality from the guys at the Standing Stones, there was toast tea and coffee ready for us before we went out at around 5:00 am, and a full breakfast menu to choose from, when we arrived back at 10:30 ish,the rooms were spotless and contrary to other reviews our beds were, lovely and comfortable, the food was great and my favorite which i thought was outstanding was the chocolate brownie, the staff are real friendly and really helpful. , we thoroughly recommend this as a place to stay on Orkney , and look forward to returning in 2020.

Date of stay: November 2019

Thank you for your positive feedback, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you all again later this year.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 25 October 2019

Visited here recently for a family meal which we sadly left a little disappointed. Upon arrival we were greeted with a busy restaurant of fellow diners but we were quickly sat at our table. A waitress soon came to take our order of drinks, before the drinks had arrived we'd placed our food order. A little wait then ensued then after about 15-20 mins both the starters and drinks finally arrived. Despite a slow start to the service all commented that they enjoyed their starters. Disappointment then followed within the next hour and 20 minutes - the time it took between finishing the starter and the main course arriving. There seemed to be a lot of panic between the floor staff and we were asked on several occasions if we were still waiting. After waiting over an hour we began to ask the staff where our order was and were finally told that we'd be next. The food finally arrived a little soggy and lukewarm whilst also being minus one of the dishes. The missing dish finally appeared 10 minutes after the other dishes which was the only dish that was still hot. The manager apologised for the delay and kindly knocked the starters off the bill. However that's by the by and we all felt that it would've been easier if the management had informed us prior to ordering of the delay to allow us to decide whether to stay or go elsewhere. All being said staff were polite and the signs of a good meal were there, I just hope the night we visited was an off night for them.

Date of stay: October 2019