eDreams
StayForLong
All reviews hotel is lovely perfect base to explore no lift recommend this hotel orkney mainland ring of brodgar shore bath
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 May 2022 via mobile

We were fortunate to find the Standing Stones hotel after its recent reopening.
It is located only 10 minutes from the ferry terminal in Stromness and it is on the shores of a lovely lake. The perfect base to explore the Orkney mainland. We were warmly welcomed by Heather, who looked after us very well. The room was newly renovated, spacious with very comfortable beds. Nice and warm. Lovely bathroom with toiletries. Our doggy was most welcome. Parking out the front so easy in and out. Breakfast was tasty and abundant, with perfectly decent plunger coffee. Walking distance to the Standing Stones and an easy drive to Kirkwall, the whisky distilleries and most importantly Skara Brae, an amazing archeological site.
Across the road from the hotel is a small ice cream parlour with delectable Orkney Ice Cream.
There is a restaurant as well, featuring Scottish cuisine and island produce.

Room tip: Hotel has no lift. Need to book for dinner.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2022 via mobile

No lifts, so we were tasked with shuttling our heavy bags up three flights of stairs after negotiating 4 sets of double doors.

Our double bed made for difficult sleeping. The room itself was very small. Not even room for a chair. The bathroom was tiny as well. A towel hook would be a small win but mine found. Cramped shower stall with no shelf to stage soap or shampoo, forcing you to do deep knee bends while trying not to leave hinny prints in the glass.

Room tip: Request a larger room. Our friends got a much larger one.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4score1957
Reviewed 6 May 2022 via mobile

The hotel has recently reopened after a couple of years and new management is making every effort to breathe life into this lovely hotel perfectly situated on the shore of Loch Stenness. Indeed what could be better than a view of the Stenness Stones and the Ring of Brodgar from your hotel window?
We dined in the bar twice and the food was excellent.
Breakfast choice was expansive and catered for all tastes and appetites.
We wish Isla and Heather and the team every success with their new venture.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2020 via mobile

Went here before Christmas with friends for a meal and everything about it was excellent, a real difference from the previous Managment it’s just going 9 fold now! Excellent service from Dawn Marie and Adele nothing was a bother. Will definitely be back and highly recommend

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Dounby771
StandingStonesHotel, Manager at Standing Stones Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable evening. I will also pass on your comments to Dawnmarie and Adele. Hopefully see you again in the near future.
Many thanks,
Linda

Reviewed 24 November 2019

I stayed recently at the Standing Stones Hotel for 7 nights during my solo holiday in the Orkney Islands. Firstly, if you are at all interesting in the World Heritage site of Neolithic Orkney then you could not be better placed. Within easy walking distance are the Stones of Stennes, Maeshowe Visitor Centre, Barnhouse Village, the Watchstone, the Ring of Brodgar and the Ness of Brodgar when the excavation is open (which it was not during my visit, but I will definitely be back to see it). However this is not the only benefit as within even closer walk is the bus stop for the X1 bus, which runs from Stromness through Finstown to Kirkwall, then to St Mary's, over the Churchill Barriers, past the Italian Chapel and ending at St Margaret's Hope. This makes for very easy travel to these destinations if you are not driving.
The room was fine and clean, and everyday done over which was always very nice to come back to. I will warn you that during winter, getting out of the shower is a chilling experience but that's the climate that time of year for you.
The staff were all extremely helpful and also friendly, which is always a very big plus when travelling solo. I had a lot of good conversations either at the end of the day when I sat down for dinner, or in the morning for breakfast.
Now for food. Well, it gets a big plus from me. Breakfast was always good, and I was always down for it pretty early. There was a good choice as well for breakfast, and I discovered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs as a breakfast option. I also became very familiar with the dinner menu in the bar, which I can heartily recommened. My favourite starter was easily the deep fried, breaded Grimbister cheese (a local favourite I saw at a llot of places in Orkney), while for mains the Steak with Haggis was superb. I was a little puzzled by there being a Pork and Beef Burger on the menu but no just Beef Burger (a suggestion I would make now that I think of it would be a Beef Burger with Haggis). For puddings though, a special shout out must go to the Oreo and After Eight Cheesecake. If the name alone does not tell you how good it is, let me assure you that it is that good. I'm probably not the best to comment about speed of service as I was always there right at the start of service (I was eager to eat, then plan my next day and get an early night's sleep), but it was speedy and efficient.
All in all, a superb hotel in a superb location.

Date of stay: November 2019
2  Thank RichardStoneCircle

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your recent visit to Orkney. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time and your positive comments on our service. I will certainly suggest a beef and haggis burger to the kitchen team that you can sample possibly during your next visit!
Thanks again,