eDreams
Vio.com
StayForLong
All reviews hotel is lovely perfect base to explore no lift recommend this hotel orkney mainland ring of brodgar shore bath
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 September 2023

Staying for one night as wanted to take in the local sights The Standing stones, Ring of Brodgar and the Maeshowe chambered tumulus, room was quite nice but my travel partner asked for another towel to which it was no. After the restaurant closed there was no presence of staff in the hotel, no reception. The restaurant was very slow and seemed to only cater guests.
The breakfast was very nice but we were off early. Was handy for the sights.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2023 via mobile

Hotel has an amazing location in the midst of all of the Neolithic sites on Orkney. However, the staff is NOT friendly or helpful at all. In factN it appeares the desk only operates during check-in. The toilet in our room was not flushing properly and there was no one to contact about it. At some point the cleaning staff left only one coffee mug in a room where 2 people were staying. They do NOT clean the room at all unless you put out the "Please make up room" sign. And the rooms are quite small - not enough room for 2 people and our bags.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penny R
Reviewed 12 August 2023 via mobile

We had such a wonderful stay here whilst we were over on Orkney! Some of the reviews I have read absolutely don’t do the hotel justice - I have no idea how anyone can say anything negative about the staff, rooms or breakfast!!

We arrived at the hotel later than we’d anticipated but the lady who checked us in (Lauren) was so lovely and was straight there to greet us when we arrived. I can’t comment on dinner as we’d already eaten before we arrived, but once we’d dropped off our bags we headed down to the bar for a drink. What was going to just be one drink turned into two and a bottle of wine, simply because of the wonderful Lauren behind the bar who chatted away to us and made us feel so welcome - she is a great person and was so funny and lots of fun to talk to! She even gave us some tips for the rest of our journey along the NC500 which was really appreciated!

We were on the late side coming down for breakfast in the morning, but there was still a full cooked breakfast available (bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, mushrooms and tomatoes), as well as coffee, a range of fresh juices, cereal and croissants - despite the fact we only got down 2 mins before breakfast ended, the staff were extremely accommodating and offered us coffee etc straight away. Again, I have no idea how some people have complained about this in other reviews I’ve read!!

The location of the hotel is great - we had left our car in Thurso and travelled across on the ferry. We were able to get the X1 bus from directly outside the ferry terminal which took us right to the hotel (probably a 2/3 minute walk from the bus stop), and the hotel is also located very close to the Standing Stones (1 mile walk) and the Ring of Brodgar (a further 1 mile past the Standing Stones). With the bus stop being close, it’s also really easy to hop on the X1 down to Kirkwall/ The Italian Chapel with very little fuss (though my advice would be to plan your journey in advance as the X1 bus only runs once per hour across the island).

Overall I thought this stay was excellent value for money - the hotel didn’t cost too much for our stay and we couldn’t have asked for anywhere better to spend the evening/ night!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2023

I was really worried about staying here after reading some of the reviews, though that worry was needless.

We had a double room booked, but the day before we arrived found out that our 13 year old daughter would be unexpectedly joining us. I phoned the hotel in a panic, and the owner/manager was really helpful, and always returned my calls, and we were able to book a second double room.

The location is exactly what we wanted, somewhat isolated but amongst all the sights of neo-lithic Orkney. I guess it may have been a different experience if we didn't have a car, but we did.

Check in was easy, the rooms were clean, and comfortable with good decor. Beds were comfortable enough. The bar was serving evening food on the night we were there. The service was good and the food decent.

Breakfast was also decent, though as we went down towards the end of the sitting, they were running low on a few things.

There was no member of staff on the reception desk when we left, and the house keeper cleaning the rooms upstairs told me to just leave the keys on the desk, which I did. I cheekily returned to the hotel five hours later to use the toilet as we were passing, and was a bit surprised to see the keys still where I'd left them. I pointed them out to a member of staff who said they hadn't seen them, so I do wonder what would have happened if I hadn't returned for the toilet!

Overall, a nice, clean, comfortable hotel in a very atmospheric location. It did feel somewhat like it had had busier glory days in the past. The bar was very quiet, and the breakfast buffet room was so large that the few breakfast tables in it felt lost. Staff were not always on hand at the front desk, though were available on the phone.

Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Emma_fom_Ruislip
Reviewed 20 July 2023

I thought we were going to have an excellent stay based on the our late arrival . The ferry did not get in until late and we couldn’t get to the hotel until about 11.30pm. The manager/owner heather had our keys to our room all ready and we went straight to our room . Room itself was nice as was bathroom however no lift and plenty of stairs to negotiate our luggage ! Breakfast was ok . The restaurant was shut as the chef was unable to come in so no dinner available and as hotel is not close to other facilities we had to eat before going back to the hotel . We came in on second day and asked when the bar was opening . Heather advised that it wasn’t and then had a change of heart and said that she could open it for us . She kind of made us feel unwelcome . I had to go and look for her so we could get a second drink so we left after that . .

Date of stay: July 2023