“Good food and do friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ferry Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Stromness
Price range: US$9 - US$31
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated right on the harbour side of Stromness.
York, United Kingdom
“Good food and do friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

It doesn't look great from the ferry-side, but inside there is good food (with veggie options) and very friendly bar staff. Especially the barman who brought our dog a bowl of water and was very patient with him despite his lack of social skills (the dog's, not the barman's!). The squares of chocolate tiffin (I think they were) were absolutely delicious and we bought some to have with our coffee in the campervan the next day. Originally we just went in for an evening meal but ended up going back the next day for lunch.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Karen C, General Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hello and thank you for your reply. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your first experience and that you came back to eat with us again.

Perth
“Nice Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stopped in for a pint and was a nice beer in pleasant surroundings.

Good value and staff very helpful

Visited June 2014
Karen C, General Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We are glad that you popped into see us and enjoyed your drinks. Thank you for your kind words.
Chard, United Kingdom
“evening meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Don't be put off by the exterior, lovely atmosphere, good music, friendly staff and very tasty food .Enjoyed.

Visited May 2014
Karen C, General Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for coming in to eat and drink with us. We very much appreciate your nice review.
Moffat, United Kingdom
“Busy!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very busy when I was in, but the food was good and the staff - when you could get them! - were friendly and efficient.
Best to book ahead at busy times.

Visited May 2014
Karen C, General Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for letting us know that you had good food and service even though we very very busy. We do tend to be busy over the summer months and while it is best to book, we are happy to see folk who happen to be passing as we will try to fit folk in where ever possible.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Positives but no negatives”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I chose a meal from the specials board anticipating that for approximately £15 it would be something that the restaurant had recently prepared and were well practised at.

Sadly the meal was served in pre-prepared dish form, rather than fresh onto the plate. This is acceptable generally but should be reflected in the price.

The food was not enjoyable to me and generally not up to my expectations: roast potatoes were pale and hard, some scorched food, dumplings chewy, too much herb (rosemary) in the food.

In spite of this I was happy to let these pass, not anticipating perfection, and not generally being inclined to complain. (I have not complained for many years before this nor have I had cause to express disappointment with a restaurant since).

When asked if everything was alright, I just mentioned the scorched food and was met with a barrage of attempts to convince me I did not know what I was talking about. This was insulting and unworthy of an establishment seeking a professional reputation.

At the end of this I was asked if everything else was alright.

As they seemed unable to cope with one part of my feedback I did not venture to mention anything else, and left.

Constructive action is required when staff receive a response to their question: "Is everything alright with the meal" or it is better not to ask it. The way it is responded to at the moment appears to be a means of accepting the positives but not the negatives.

I sincerely trust this was just a one off and that generally staff are trained to know how to respond appropriately and maybe I just happened to visit on a bad day. It has however knocked my confidence in the restaurant.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank sonyck15
Karen C, General Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent experience of eating with us. We offer a range of daily specials, usually to showcase any local produce ie fish, seafood, beef that is made available to us on the day. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the special that you chose. In terms of dealing with a customer comment, our staff are trained to listen to what the customer says and to ensure that any issues are rectified at the time. I am sorry that there appears to have been no action taken on this occasion. I will review customer feedback with the team to make sure that there is a consistent approach at all times.