“I felt welcome and enjoyed my stay.”
Review of Orca Hotel

Orca Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stromness
Orca Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stromness
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I booked the Orca for a diving trip to Scapa Flow and after some good reviews I was a bit worried by some of the negative ones I saw leading up to my visit in September.

The Orca's not a hotel, it's a B&B or Guesthouse in a tiny Orkney town. If people stay in Stromness and expect modern hotels with Ikea furniture, I'm not sure where they are going, because from what I saw the Orca is a comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay, if not as grand as, say, the Stromness Hotel (which is much dearer).

I found Doris very friendly during my stay. I didn't ask for much, but whenever I did ask for something, like an early breakfast or somewhere to leave my damp drysuit, she was amenable and helpful (as was Malin who helped out at breakfast).

Breakfast was exceptionally good every day (great if you're diving or walking!), a couple of days this and a snack lunch was all I needed to eat! When I had to leave before breakfast on my last day, Doris knocked off a fiver for the breakfast I missed.

I had room 1, a twin, to myself. The room was a decent size for two people, with cupboard and drawer space enough, so plenty for 1 person. The furniture was a little old and the bathroom, not the latest in fittings, but it was comfortable and clean and there was always hot water in the shower.

One small complaint was that the wall between room 1 and 2 is just a stud partition and I could, sometimes, hear snoring from the other room (apologies if you stayed in room 2 and suffered from the man in room 1 snoring!), but aside from soundproofing the wall, there's not much you could do about that. It never bothered me for long, but it might if you're a very light sleeper.

I must admit, I don't recognise the place I stayed at or the hostess from some of the negative reviews here.

I was made welcome, was comfortable and enjoyed staying at the Orca.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank snowman40

Reviewed 30 July 2012

On arriving Doris showed us to our room, musty, smelly, stained and threadbare carpets, bedlinen and towels old and faded, toilet disgusting, my son found scattered pills just under a bed. decided against staying, eventually after finding landlady Doris (who is German) she ranted and raved about she will take at least a nights money from us, NO WAY was she getting it, It did not spoil our holiday, Stromness is a lovely friendly, clean place, and the people were very sorry that our first experience of Orkney was Doris and the Orca HOTEL

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank noddy37
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Dirty, smelly, dated, carpets badly stained overall dank, musty and uninviting. We decided against staying and moved to another hotel if your not too fussy go for it but I dont look for fancy surroundings just a basic clean and fresh surroundings

Room Tip: Royal hotel is lovely recommend
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ersline
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Tiny, cramped twin room. Urine stained and smelly carpet in the ensuite. Unmentionable stains on the walls and carpets throughout and a dirty stained tea tray. Lovely paintings on the walls could not detract form the overall grubby, run down appearance. Huge cooked breakfast, but the smell of it cooking permeated the whole building adding to the overall musty smell. As for Doris, well, listening to her insult other paying guests, gave a true insight to her hosting skills. An extra £6 gets you a beautiful, spotlessly clean room in Orphir.

Room Tip: If there is a carpet in the bathroom, walk away
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Reedllichtie
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The Orca is a pretty nice establishment, and not overly expensive considering its location. The owner is friendly and the breakfast is very complete, a welcome thing on a chill day. I stayed a night in May, with two friends in one of the larger rooms, a pleasant one. But for the trouble we had with the internet, it would have been most impossible to find fault, yet as it stood, we enjoyed the hotel no less.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karin M
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here at the end of March (touring on motorbike) and was very lucky to have beautiful weather. Anyway the Orca, is very central, but as Stromness is not very big not to much of an issue. The room itself was large with shower room, furniture was oldish but clean and comfy. Fantastic breakfasts served up by Doris the friendly German owner, I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We booked 3 nights here for our honeymoon. We decided to leave after 2 mins and find somewhere else. Location was good but the room was very small and we didn't think it was suitable for our honeymoon stay. Tv was tiny and would have been unwatchable. Disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Brash85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stromness
Stromness Hotel
16 mi away
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burray Village

Been to Orca Hotel? Share your experiences!