“Friendly place”
Review of Orca Hotel

Orca Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stromness
Orca Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stromness
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have read some of the negative views about this hotel, and I cannot see why people are complaining. yes the furniture is a bit dated, but the hotel is clean and tidy, It is a budget hotel so don't expect the Ritz.
The landlady is very friendly and she does a really good breakfast and she is constantly asking if the breakfast is ok and do you want anymore.
If I should have a need to return to Orkney I would have no hesitation in returning to the Orca hotel.
As the hotel is on the main street there is limited parking, I would recommend that you park near the ferry terminal and walk to the hotel it only a couple of minutes and the parking will cost you a whopping £1 from 9am to 5pm, the rest of the time is free.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Bogbean3

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Very friendly, warm welcome after a very long journey. The bedroom was comfortable and warm with an unexpected en suite shower room. Breakfast was good with a reasonable choice on offer. I booked for 1 person and was given a family room which would have been perfectly good if I had taken my husband and son.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank MontanaReid
Reviewed 30 September 2012

As a group of 9 (originally 11) mostly 60+ year olds, we thoroughly enjoyed our Orkney holiday and were very pleased we chose the Orca. Doris and Marlene were most accomodating and welcoming and the breakfasts were great and varied. We were free to use the dining room during the day/evening and the spare fridge and washing machine/drier (which we needed after missing the tide slightly at Brough of Birsay!). We thought the price was good and the location in the centre of Stromness couldn't be better. The rooms were all a bit different in size and ours wasn't all that easy to move around in but it didn't matter to us. Not everyone would like the basic b&b set up without modern bedroom furniture etc but I would rather have that than pay a fortune as it was clean and comfortable. Thanks, Doris!

Room Tip: if you need a lot of living space, ask in advance for one of the roomier rooms.
3  Thank maydotty
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I always think that when you get the extremes of reviews that you have here,then you are talking about an establishment which deviates from the norm and this one certainly does! It is not the Premier Inn! If you are a person who requires a toothbrush to be have been taken to every corner of the room, then this is not for you. In my opinion however,the Orca is clean. I was with a party of nine and none of us felt the place to be dirty although I would agree the communal carpet should be replaced soonish! Doris is very enthusiastic and cheery and her able helper Marlene is a breath of fresh air and a good laugh. We had different breakfast offerings every day, which was nice and we also got access to a fridge and washing/ drying facilities. My main beef would be that the shower was not hot enough. So if you're into power showers this wouldn't be for you either! Clearly, two big advantages are the price and the situation right in the heart of Stromness and a five minute walk from the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a better view.
2  Thank Hardygirl
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Three of us stayed three nights (14-17 September 2012) in the Orca Hotel, two in a family room and the third in a single room. The furnishings were unpretentious but clean and comfortable. The owner, Doris Fischler, and her staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were very good indeed and could have been enormous, had we so wished. Our long weekend in Orkney was thoroughly enjoyable and our stay in the Orca contributed to this in full measure.

1  Thank 389Seumas389
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I booked the Orca for a diving trip to Scapa Flow and after some good reviews I was a bit worried by some of the negative ones I saw leading up to my visit in September.

The Orca's not a hotel, it's a B&B or Guesthouse in a tiny Orkney town. If people stay in Stromness and expect modern hotels with Ikea furniture, I'm not sure where they are going, because from what I saw the Orca is a comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay, if not as grand as, say, the Stromness Hotel (which is much dearer).

I found Doris very friendly during my stay. I didn't ask for much, but whenever I did ask for something, like an early breakfast or somewhere to leave my damp drysuit, she was amenable and helpful (as was Malin who helped out at breakfast).

Breakfast was exceptionally good every day (great if you're diving or walking!), a couple of days this and a snack lunch was all I needed to eat! When I had to leave before breakfast on my last day, Doris knocked off a fiver for the breakfast I missed.

I had room 1, a twin, to myself. The room was a decent size for two people, with cupboard and drawer space enough, so plenty for 1 person. The furniture was a little old and the bathroom, not the latest in fittings, but it was comfortable and clean and there was always hot water in the shower.

One small complaint was that the wall between room 1 and 2 is just a stud partition and I could, sometimes, hear snoring from the other room (apologies if you stayed in room 2 and suffered from the man in room 1 snoring!), but aside from soundproofing the wall, there's not much you could do about that. It never bothered me for long, but it might if you're a very light sleeper.

I must admit, I don't recognise the place I stayed at or the hostess from some of the negative reviews here.

I was made welcome, was comfortable and enjoyed staying at the Orca.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank snowman40
Reviewed 30 July 2012

On arriving Doris showed us to our room, musty, smelly, stained and threadbare carpets, bedlinen and towels old and faded, toilet disgusting, my son found scattered pills just under a bed. decided against staying, eventually after finding landlady Doris (who is German) she ranted and raved about she will take at least a nights money from us, NO WAY was she getting it, It did not spoil our holiday, Stromness is a lovely friendly, clean place, and the people were very sorry that our first experience of Orkney was Doris and the Orca HOTEL

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank noddy37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stromness
Stromness Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dounby
The Orkney Hotel
The Orkney Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Orca Hotel? Share your experiences!