“Great way to sight-see”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Orkney Cycle Hire
Reviewed 26 September 2017

This was the nicest gentlemen ever! Rented a bike and rode about 23 miles total that day. He provided me with 2 maps to set me on my way and allowed me to return it the next morning. Wonderful experience!

1  Thank 132Karen132
"mainland"
"orkney"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Good prices, great bikes. We hired bikes for two days, one to cycle up the western Mainland coast and the other for a day trip to Hoy. John was very helpful and friendly over weather changes and changes in the original booking. He even let us park the bikes at his place overnight. Would recommend doing the same to anyone who's into cycling in Orkney.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Hired bikes for 2 days during our recent visit to Orkney. Received great service at a fantastic price. Bikes were comfortable and reliable, recommended routes were given and we had a fabulous time. Skara Brae has a coffee shop, which made it a good stopping off point! The roads were quiet and drivers seemed considerate. Lots of routes available depending on how far you want to go. Helmets were also available at no extra cost.

Reviewed 9 September 2016

This tremendous bike rental facility is perfectly placed for enjoying a cycle to the fantastic World Heritage site of Skara Brae. For me personally, it was the great satisfaction of a 12-itch that began in 2004, when I was escorting both our children to the far North of Great Britain; we had travelled as far as a hostel in John O' Groats and stopped. At that time, I wished we had continued onto a ferryboat to the Orkney Islands, specifically to skip Stonehenge and visit Skara Brae [which had been recommended by local Ralph whilst aboard the Swift(less) Ferryboat from Dublin to Holyhead 8 weeks prior].
Anyway, 12 years after that dissatisfying segment of an otherwise outstanding odyssey, great satisfaction was finally achieved. I had made on-line contact with owner/operator John, and, following superb directions from Ferry Inn Karen, we met him, kitted up and pedaled the provided routemap to a stunning Skara Brae.
The laid-back nature of John reflected the calmness and caring prevalent of the locals. We trundled the uprights up a short flight of steps to the smoothly-cobbled, narrow road and easily cruised downhill, careful to keep our vehicles to the left-hand side, opposite of the right-hand priority we know so well back home in the USA.
But making the transition is easy, especially when ALL the roadusers here in the near-idyllic island are so very careful, especially upon tiny roads that have neither shoulder nor sidewalk.
It was a delightful day, with little rain as we had imported our Chihuahuan Sun from home; in fact, it was the highlight of our 2-week holiday for me. I am definitely returning with my Doublevision in the future, and finishing up my exploration of the pre-Stonehenge sites. Definitely, Stromness/John/Orkney Cycle Hires gets my "Wheel of Approval!"

1  Thank Juanito_Hayburg