“Outstanding from start to finish!”
Review of Scapa Scuba

Scapa Scuba
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Stromness
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you are a complete beginner, an experienced diver, used to warm water or cold, dive Scapa Flow with Scapa Scuba -Orkney's only PADI Dive Centre! Home to the German High Seas Fleet that was scuttled here on 21st June 1919, Scapa Flow is undoubtedly one of the best dive sites in the world. Offering a full range of Diver Training and Guided Dives, we make Scapa Flow accessible to all levels
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If a dive shop could be 6 star then this dive centre would qualify!

Prior to my arrival Katie & Sara were always happy to help - especially when I had to change my arrival due to a family emergency they were able to shift my diving sessions and offer alternatives.

I completed my dry suit, EFR, rescue and wreck courses and each was taught by a very knowledgeable instructor who not only knew the scapa flow area and wrecks well but, through speaking to them, have experience from all over the world which was very good to hear and gives a sense of comfort in their skills.

For the drysuit course there was plenty of drysuits to try from to get the right fit and loads of equipment available to get the right fit and set up for the dives.

The other courses all went well and even when the weather was very windy and logistics had to change everything was handled efficiently and professionally.

Throughout all the courses I always felt helped and supported and the instructors were able to answer all my questions (and I ask a lot!)

Operation wise everything was exceptional - I purchased a dive computer and was offered a personal set-up / guide from the resident equipment maker & specialist Ben. The facilities for classroom
learning were excellent as was the boat used for Scapa flow dives (big shout out to the bit crew who go above and beyond (fresh the or coffee after a dive is a big plus!!).

Equipment: all of the equipment was well maintained and looked after - the kit was prepared into your own box with everything needed inside. Most of the drysuits, gloves and good etc are made in-house which is helpful if any challenges as it is rectified by the next day ready again for your dives. The instructors and dive masters let you set up
your equipment / get sorted as much as you want but are on hand to help if needed.

As previously mentioned all of the instructors were excellent and also I have to mention the Dive Master Trainees who were all amazing and were very knowledgeable and were able to answer questions based on their training and about their experience which definitely gives ideas for future training opportunities for myself.

Overall an excellent dive centre; I always felt safe, supported and overall safe!

If you are wanting to dive Scapa Flow whether you are a complete beginner or a seasoned diver then Scapa Scuba is the place to go! I will be sure to be back and bring diving friends to experience the great dives, staff and facilities / equipment.

1  Thank Adam M
Katie M, Manager at Scapa Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Adam! Well what a fantastic review - thank you very much indeed for taking the time to put together such kind feedback, we really do appreciate it and I've passed it on to everyone here. We're missing you already! Felt like you became part of the team whilst you were here! So delighted that you enjoyed your courses and had a good time with the team whilst you were learning. You did absolutely brilliantly, especially given the conditions on some of the days! If we could give customers a 6* ratings then you'd have one without question - hardworking, patient and always keeping everyone smiling (and stocked up with sugary goodies). Thank you so much for diving with us and very much hoping we get to explore more wrecks with you in the future. Maybe see you in the sun in the meantime :-) Take care and happy diving wherever you get under the water next. All the best, Katie

All reviews
"underwater experience"
"my advanced open water"
"complete beginner"
in 2 reviews
"brilliant couple of days"

Reviewed 25 May 2018

Scapa Scuba office staff was so helpful making arrangements for my four days of diving with their guides. Coming from the US I had many questions and I always received quick and detailed responses.
Once I was in Stromness and diving with Scapa Scuba, the guides and support personnel were very knowledgeable and friendly. The safety and dive site briefings were clear and complete.
The boat hired by Scapa Scuba was well maintained and Captain Andy did a great job and was very friendly too.
A top notch operation! I highly recommend if you are diving the wrecks take advantage of a multi-day package. One day just will not do!

1  Thank KevinGolds
Katie M, Manager at Scapa Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Hi Kevin, thank you so much for the lovely review - very much appreciated! I have passed it onto the team and Andy too. Our guys had a brilliant few days diving with you. So pleased we managed to get you on some of the lesser dived wrecks as well. Makes a huge difference on our side when customers are as great as you,very much hope that we might see you back up this way some time! Happy diving in the meantime. All the best, Katie

Reviewed 18 February 2018

We dove two days with the team at Scapa Scuba with the goal of getting our Dry Suit certification and diving some of the wrecks in the flow.

The team at Scapa Scuba had clearly seen this routine a thousand times and was well prepared for the occasion. Training dives were held near the Churchill Barriers on blockships easily accessed from shore. Their van is well outfitted for shore diving, and their on site drysuit manufacturing shop means they can fit all shapes and sizes without issue.

Diving the flow was all it was cracked up to be - even though the fall winds didn't allow us to dive the larger wrecks, the team was able to find good wreck sites with historical significance without compromising safety or the (relative) comfort of those on board.

We booked at the last minute, and the team was eager and able to accommodate us without issue and with great communication all along the way.

Katie M, Manager at Scapa Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Hi there! Thank you so much for your great review, very much appreciated. So pleased that you enjoyed your course and the Scapa Flow dives, despite the weather. Hopefully see you if you're ever in Orkney again! All the best, Katie

Reviewed 13 October 2017

While diving the German High Seas Wrecks I developed problems with me Drysuit. On the advice of the dive boat I was staying on, advised me to take over the Scapa Scuba. They took the suit right in, found the problem , repaired it and had it back on the boat by 5am the next morning! I thought the price would be outrageous for doing such a quality repair and delivering back to the boat in plenty of time for next day’s dive, but it was not. In fact it was very reasonable and well worth it.
The shop is well stocked, the people are very friendly and knowledgeable for all levels of divers from the beginner to the technical diver. I went back two more time for other items, service and advice and each time they were able to help. Scapa Scuba is a perfect model of what a dive a shop or any other kind of business for that matter, should be. So if you diving Scapa do not hesitate to visit Scapa Scuba. They will sort you right out.

Katie M, Manager at Scapa Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a brilliant review! Very pleased that you were happy with both the service and the repair. We absolutely hate to think of anyone missing out on our amazing diving here due to suit issues or a missing piece of kit so are always happy to get divers back where they should be - in the water! Hope you enjoyed your trip to Orkney and we see you again soon! Thank you! Katie

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

I can't rate Scapa Scuba highly enough. An extremely competent team offering diving for all levels on a catalogue of world renowned wrecks and dive sites.

They wear their knowledge lightly making for a very relaxed environment but couldn't be more professional and courteous.

From a well appointed converted trawler (lift installed for diver exit) I had 4 fantastic dives (2 x air, 2 x EAN 32% max depths between 23m and 36m) on the WWI era wrecks expertly led by John and Rob. Their predive planning and guidance made for fascinating, relaxed and fun dives with a necessary level of safety consideration.

Thanks Scapa Scuba team, I'll be back!

1  Thank Presumingheads
Katie M, Manager at Scapa Scuba, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Hiya, thanks so much for such a lovely review! We really appreciate you taking the time to feedback and will pass all of your kind words onto the team and the skipper. Jon and Rob loved diving with such a brilliant diver and such good company! Really hope you come back and see us again soon! All the best, Katie