“Fabulous fresh seafood”

Hamnavoe
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Stromness
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Fabulous fresh seafood”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just of the main street in Stromness, this wee gem was busy even on Monday night-- we couldn't get a table but ensured we booked for Tuesday night: every table again was full. The service was by two youngsters, but they were incredibly good--polite, friendly, attentive and helpful.
The quality of the seafood was fabulous. I had the plaice, and the flavour was wonderful. Served with fresh dill as a garnish and fresh vegetables as a side dish, this meal was perfection (to me, anyway).

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank paterles57

Sydney, Australia
“Excellent dInner prior to boarding 'overnight' ferry”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Cosy restaurant in heart of Stromness. Excellent menu and good service. The restaurant is very small so it is important to book well ahead.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gillian T
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Yum!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Came here for a pre-booked group dinner, and the place was very busy. Possibly a little too busy - we were hurried through our food a little because we arrived 5 minutes late and they wanted us out of the way before later bookings turned up. Their menu changes constantly according to what's available, but when we were there included a lobster thermidor which was rather good - as were many of the other dishes my friends had (the plaice was cooked superbly). I personally had a sirloin steak, which was well-cooked but a little lacking in depth of flavour - but all the dishes, starters and desserts included, were well thought out and executed.

It is also worth mentioning that one person in our group has unusual dietary requirements, as he needs to avoid added salt in all food and has real problems at most restaurants given the amount of salt in sauces and stocks. However, Hamnavoe went out of their way to create interesting and different dishes that worked for him, telling him all the ingredients and preparation process so he could be sure what he was eating, which was very impressive.

Visited June 2014
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Great ingredients, good cooking, friendly staff, but ...”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Booked for Tuesday as seemed the most special place in town. Friendly and unfussy, menu looked good. Starters were wonderful. Wine list short but very good. Our cheapish bottle was delicious. My wife had the special shrimp. They were great but the restaurant had no tools to help eat them. My scallops were perfectly cooked but the sauce was too rich and very poorly balanced. I scraped it off. I had a 'strawberry romanoff' dessert. It was really nice once I had mixed a lot of sugar into the sauce. (Hearsay: we overheard another diner say she could not eat the haddock because of the sauce).

I think the chef needs to re-think the sauces. Then this place would be great.

essex
“Expected great things.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

nice restaurant but we thought maybe they were trying to be a bit too clever with the menu. My main course veggie dish was so sweet I couldn't finish it. It's a nice restaurant nothing special.

• Visited June 2014