“Quality food”

Hamnavoe
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Stromness
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hamnavoe is up a wynd in Stromness, so that there is no view, but the food more than makes up for it. Service is efficient and friendly. Every dish which we had was excellent.

Visited August 2014

Peebles, United Kingdom
“Really dissapointing - overcooked fish and overpriced!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and i booked here for our last meal on Orkney. We'd tried much of the local produce and been so pleased with the quality and flavours on offer. After reading the shining reviews on tripadvisor, we knew this was going to be the best place to end our holiday.

With high hopes, we entered the cold restaurant. I ordered a coffee to help warm me up, which was very bad. Not a great start.There was music playing in the restaurant, but this was competing with the music that you could clearly hear from the kitchen.

I had the aubergine fritters to begin and my husband the haggis parcels.His were nothing special, but not bad...but my fritters were delicious and i was delighted - things were looking up!

I chose the special (tusk 'a meaty white fish' apparently) and my husband the scallops for main. My tusk was served in a peppercorn sauce which was bland and not very creamy. The fish was overcooked - a travesty in a high quality restaurant, and i'm not convinced how fresh it was either. Fish melts in the mouth when it is fresh and cooked well - this did not.
My husband's scallops were good but the sauce was again very bland. The odd selection of roasted and boiled potatoes, courgette and under-cooked red cabbage that was served to accompany our main course was underwhelming to say the least.
My husband had stewed strawberries with ice cream for dessert - very basic. And i had vanilla panna cotta with a rhubarb puree. Except it wasn't a rhubarb puree - i could taste raspberries, strawberries and something decidedly savoury in the sauce, not to mention the obvious plums on my plate. It wasn't a good flavour, and certainly not moreish and delicious as you would hope your desert course to be. The panna cotta was disappointingly under-sweetened and not very creamy. After mentioning this to the serving staff we were latterly told that the sauce was plum, chili and basil, not rhubarb as stated on the menu. However i'm certain there were many more fruits in there, very odd.
The service staff were very young and not familiar with the menu or the ingredients used. When clearing our table one girl said cheerfully, "everything good yeh?" then swiftly left before i had a chance to answer. When we'd finished our meal and had declined any further coffee or anything else, we sat and waited but no bill appeared. Eventually we got their attention and only then did they prepare our bill.
The food was not good enough to merit a cost of £95, in fact, i'd even be unwilling to serve a meal like that to my friends at home. Not restaurant quality. Not a quality restaurant experience. A disappointing and highly underwhelming experience.

5 Thank sunnypeebles
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“The best in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The food at this restaurant is as good as you would get anywhere and although not cheep is good value for money. We both had the specials, which were both excellent. The service was equally good. If you are thinking of eating out in Orkney this is the place to go but you will have to book as it was full every night we were there

1 Thank Issuant
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Magical Hamnavoe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had one of the specials, which was scallops and monkfish cooked to perfection in a brandy and cream sauce. The desserts disappeared too fast but were also of the highest quality.The service and the food are perfect.

If I could offer one small criticism....it is that the wine list does not reflect the standard of the food.

Visited July 2014
Dalgety Bay, United Kingdom
“One of the finest Cullen Skinks I have ever tasted.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Went here to celebrate an anniversary, was not disappointed. Service was very good and staff were helpful and not pushy. I if visiting a seafood restaurant always try the Cullen Skink and this was one of the very best I have tasted, the rest of the meal was as good as the starter. large enough portions so that too full to even consider a desert.

1 Thank David F B