“Fantastic Views & Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taversoe Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rousay
Taversoe Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rousay
Devon
“Fantastic Views & Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

My boyfriend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Taversoe - we thought that the food was excellent (lovely homemade chips and bread). The price of the food and drink is very reasonable and we could not fault the quality. The views from the Taversoe are out of this world! We could sit for hours, just looking out of the window. A day is not enough on Rousay, to make the most of all that is on this tiny island, you definetly need to stay a few days.
From the outside, the hotel doesnt look like much, but there is an extension being built which will utilise the views to their full potential. We stayed in the twin room which was very clean and comfortable. We would recommend the Taversoe.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank htape

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

The food was awful. It seemed to have all been prepared using a microwave. Only plain foods like "fish and chips" or "chicken with bbq sauce on top" were served. The soups were always good but they seemed to have been microwaved cartons of soup that had not been freshly prepared by the hotel themselves.

My room was only cleaned once. I stayed in the hotel for a total of seven nights and in this time my room was only cleaned once. The claim on the first day was that I had locked my room and the last guest had taken the spare key. From then on I left my room unlocked and gave the hotel staff my key or left it inside the door. My room was not cleaned regardless. Only once was my room checked and it appeared to be only to take away the extra mug and bathrobe that was in the room.

The location really is the splendid thing about this hotel. It is on a sparsely populated island that is extremely beautiful, historically interesting and culturally very significant. I have no complaint as regards location. The hotel is a ten minute cycle from the pier point, and twenty-five from the shop.

There were only three rooms in the entire hotel, yet those three rooms shared one shower. Since the rooms are capable of accommodating a maximum of five people this means that you will be sharing the shower with a maximum of four other guests. Towels are stored in the shower as well as in the bedroom, which can be confusing as one never knows who's towel is whose.

Service was very slow. It took an extremely long time for the staff to prepare dishes even though they were extremely bland and simple. When I wanted to pay I was left waiting for at least half an hour until I asked for the bill. I was then left waiting for another three quarters of an hour. I eventually walked away from the restaurant where I had been waiting for the staff to bring the bill and asked whether I could have it at the bar. The lady told me she was distracted by facebook and "forgot".

The value for money would have been good despite the unclean rooms and poor service (at £35.00 per night). Since I was staying for seven nights it had been agreed beforehand that I would have dinner free. However, my suspicion that the staff were deliberately prolonging my reception of the bill till I would have to go urgently and feel pressed to pay extra charges without having time to consider them proved right. I was charged for absolutely everything I ate except the soup and main course and everything where I asked if it would be included. I was lulled into a false sense of security and enjoyed wine and beer with my meal, which I was charged for. I was even charged for the water I had with my meal. In this context it was very poor value. I ended up paying close to £500 for seven nights.

Since the hotel also hosted bar facilities it would be quite noisy until around one am. Sleeping was difficult, and since there were no parasite nets around the windows one could not air the room without being bitten during the night by swarms of midges.

My verdict: I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who cares about the quality of food, sleep or shelter. There is a hostel down the road which provides facilities that are in some ways much better (cleaner) and a lot cheaper.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
7 Thank the_phototraveller
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

Only stayed one night, great homecooked food, nice hostess, comfortable room, Instead of a day trip to Rousay make a night of it and stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dusty1956
New Forest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Taversoe Hotel is more like a restaurant and bar with rooms than a conventional hotel, although it does offer a residents lounge with superb views and a good library of books and DVDs. At present, there are two double rooms with sea views, which share a bathroom with shower, and a twin room with its own ensuite shower room. Plans are in hand to rebuild the hotel over the winter of 2010-11 to create four rooms, all with ensuite facilities. Meals in the restaurant are excellent (try the succulent Orkney beef steaks and the home-made Orkney fudge cheesecake) and the bar has a full range of Orkney beers and malt whiskies. Carey Maguire runs the hotel virtually single-handed (except for her delightful collie cross-breed, Roo), which gives the Taversoe more of a friendly B&B feeling than anything. The hotel is close to the main Neolithic sites on Rousay, virtually opposite the Trumland RSPB reserve and about two miles from the important Neolithic tomb and Iron Age settlement of Mid Howe.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peragrantes
Bakewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

The Taversoe is fantastically positioned with views across the sea all the way down to Kirkwall. It is a small family run business and the cooking is both very good and extremely good value. The hotel is very small with only 3 letting rooms (2 of which have shared bathroom). The bar is well stocked and regulars to it were very friendly to visitors using it. The guests lounge offers fabulous views across to "mainland" and binoculars are provided for watching birdlife and otters/ seals down on the nearby coast line. Too many people seem to visit Rousay for just the day, given that it is small enough to get around, even on a bike. A longer stay offers great rewards and the Taversoe was a great choice

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidBakewell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rousay
The Ayre Hotel
#8 of 9 in Kirkwall
West End Hotel
West End Hotel
#5 of 9 in Kirkwall

Been to Taversoe Hotel? Share your experiences!