“Wonderful experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
yorks
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I had originally seen a feature about the Missing Bell dining experience through some local advertising. My husband and I are keen on oriental cuisine so decided to try it out for a birthday treat.
We spoke with Patrick prior to our arrival and he discussed our menu choice with us - (as we were the first guests to book we got to choose the menu for the evening)
On arrival at Eastward Guest House we were greeted by Patrick who showed us the facilities, our room with a huge bed and a wonderful clean, warm room. The guest sitting room which is a perfect place to relax and begin the dining experience.
We chose the Izakaya Seafood menu and enjoyed every course, of which we counted 11 by the end of the evening. It is clear to see the passion and enthusiasm with which Patrick and Keiko put into their cooking and they enjoyed sharing the history of the cuisine,(world heritage menu).
All the produce was locally sourced and of excellent quality, I will find it hard to eat anywhere else now!!
The breakfast was outstanding, I have never eaten such tasty porridge ever......
We had a fabulous evening and enjoyed the company of our hosts and other guests and can't wait to go back and try out the Italian cooking.
Thank you for such a wonderful evening.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank suzb29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at eastward guest house last summer on our holiday visit to orkney. This time, we were there for our anniversary treat. Driving up beautiful A9 followed by a ferry crossing over pentland firth for one hour, then we were there, the 'food heaven'. We had Japanese banquet that we could not have on our last visit as we had not booked well in advance. The food did not fail to meet our expectation. We understood instantly why we needed to book the meal with good time in advance. When we booked, the hosts advised us about BYO (Bring Your Own Drink) and recommended us to bring some Japanese Rice wine if possible, so we did. How right was he, the sake complimented the food so well. Knowing it was our anniversary, the host kindly added hand dived scallops (caught on the day!) cooked in Japanese style. We cannot wait for next excuse (i.e. another anniversary, birthday anything!) to go to eastward guest house for dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chai T
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Travelling for many days and me and friends missed home cooking food so we chose this Bed and Breakfast that has dinner too. Interesting selection of menu to choose from. Because it was not restaurant, you need to agree with friends what to eat. We needed to stay there for ten days if we wanted to eat all the dishes they had, but we had Japanese Meat selection. It was very tasty. The people were friendly and packed some breakfast for us because we had to leave early in the morning and could not have time to sit down to eat all the food. Orkneys is too far to visit again, but if I have a chance, I will stay Eastwood Bed and Breakfast again and eat dinner everyday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sam Z
Sapporo, Japan
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed at Eastward Guest House in Orkney for three nights. We landed on Pentland Ferries and it was only 5 minutes from the port. The hosts have attended every needs of oursm the rooms were spotlessly clean, and the breakfast was the best ever. Nornally, once you've had your 'full English breakfast', you would not want it many days running, but Eastward Guest House has variety of choice that you do not get bored with their breakfast even if you stay there for 10 days.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank K T
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was my second trip to Eastward Guest House in two years, and I strongly suspect it will not be too long before I return. I was wowed on my first visit, and my second visit was just as good, if not better. A truly great B&B, in my opinion, has three great things going for it: great location, food, and comfort. Eastward redefines the meaning of all three.

First, the location. Orkney isn't very big, so Eastward is a short drive no matter which ferry you take. It's about 45 minutes if you take the CalMac, but even better it's about 10 minutes if you take the Pentland ferries (which are far less fussy and have shorter crossing times). Also, it is minutes from Tomb of the Eagles, and fairly short drives to every other attraction you might want to see. I think I may have driven 45 minutes max to get to anywhere. Although it's about a 30 minute drive or so into town, if you choose to eat outside of Eastward (and you should NOT), there are a few decent little pubs/restaurants within about a 10 minute drive. For a location, you couldn't ask for much more.

Comfort: EVERYTHING around Eastward is centred on your comfort. I have never, ever, been pampered so well and so thoughtfully. The rooms are all located upstairs, with lovely, comfortable beds and pillowy warm duvets. The beds even have electric bed warming sheets right on the mattress - absolute heaven if you've been trekking about all day (it does get cool in Orkney, it's fairly far north). Great big soft, thick, heavy bathrobes are found in your closet - not the little paper thin shifts you get in hotels, PROPER robes. Each room has an alarm clock that will also fit your ipod (great touch), and you are also provided with little toothbrushes, soap, etc. Only a couple of rooms are ensuite, but I never found this a problem as generally you'll still have a bathroom to yourself. Water is piping hot and pressure is great! Also, the guest lounge is outstanding - I've never seen anything like it. The best sound system I think I've ever listened to, lots of DVDs to watch, Sky TV, a dining table, free computer access and wifi, a coffee/hot chocolate/tea station, a little fridge stocked with Coke and water, etc - how much more spoiled can you get? What a wonderful place to relax in!

And if you aren't swayed yet, then let me finish it for you: the food. Oh my god the food. I've rarely eaten in restaurants with food this fabulous! They basically cater to EVERYONE - vegans, paleo, diabetics, whatever you want. Breakfast is an experience. You will not need lunch. Farm fresh eggs are delivered every morning (I know, because I took them from the lady one day!), salmon, sausages made especially for Eastward, fruit cocktail that is prepared daily, the most delicious oatmeal in Scotland, and a selection of cereals, yogurt, etc. And that is just one day - there are many other full breakfasts to choose from, including a vegan special that you would not believe. Patrick and Keiko also packed us a little snack pack to take during the day, as my father is diabetic and needed to eat fairly regularly. I wish they'd pack me a lunch every day, it was so delicious!

Upon booking, you are able to book suppers. Do this. Do NOT miss out on evening meals at Eastward. We had three suppers while we were there, and I still remember every bite. Our first meal was a Japanese one, light fare ( I forget the name), with an app of tofu, main of salmon, and a green tea chocolate fondant cake for dessert. I still salivate about that tofu. I never ever thought I'd utter that phrase in my life. Also, I confess that I HATE salmon, absolutely hate it, but Patrick prepared it with such expertise that I happily hate 90% of it. It wasn't doused in a heavy sauce either - just lightly seasoned and marinated, and served with dishes that perfectly accompanied it. We also repeated our choice of the French traditional (well worth it!), and dined in on another couple's Italian night. The spoiled brat writing this review is not a big lover of seafood, so Patrick gave me chicken pasta instead of the seafood masterpiece everyone else got. It was sooooooo amazing. I still am trying to figure out how I can recreate it. Every meal is cooked with the freshest, high quality ingredients. I can't begin to do it justice. I certainly spent far more money in restaurants in Scotland and didn't get half the experience I did at Eastward. Get the food. COME for the food!

To sum up, staying at Eastward cements the magical experience of Orkney. Patrick and Keiko, the hosts, create such atmosphere of comfort, luxury, and ease that makes everyone feel like royalty. They go above and beyond to make your stay fantastic, and they are highly engaging people to be around. My only regret is that Eastward has become so travelled that I had to share them with other guests!

All in all, one of the most memorable stays I've had. Ever.

Room Tip: I've stayed in two different rooms, and I couldn't recommend one over the other. They're...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Melissa D
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Eastward Guest House, execptional on all fronts. Made to feel at home from the moment we were greeted. Presented to our bedrooms firstly which had everything you could ask for. Then shown the lounge area, which is ideal for a nice chill-out, everything you required was in there.

We had chosen to have food and this was the 'Izakaya Meaty', the food was amazing every course was cooked to perfection and had great presentation. They cooked for 11 of us in total and everyone thoroughly enjoyed each course and everyone was more than satisified with the quantity.

Enjoyed a great sleep after being well fed. In the morning we had a 3 course breakfast, which we were offered a time we fancied to eat at. The breakfast was amazing and very unique, a must have.

I was highly recommend this to anyone and would describe it as faultness and very unique. I will most definitly stay here again.

Many thanks to Patrick and Keiko

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CGillon
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Our stay at Eastward House was a most enjoyable one, Patrick and Keiko were generous with their home and food.

Our bedroom was very comfortable, spotlessly clean and provided everything we needed and more,

Our evening meal 'Izakaya Meaty' was outstanding , fresh high quality food, well presented and ultimately delicious to eat.

After a superb nights sleep we were treated to a wonderful breakfast.

Thanks you for making my birthday stay very special, and a big thank you to the girls for their lovely rendition of Happy Birthday.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 6 in St Margaret's Hope
Burnside Farm
Burnside Farm
#1 of 9 in Stromness

Been to Eastward Guest House? Share your experiences!