“Enjoyable, if you don't require staff assistance.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moness Resort

Moness Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable, if you don't require staff assistance.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Having booked moness as a girly trip using a groupon voucher we really can't complain about the price we paid (£30 each for two nights) for the 4 of us. The sofa bed was so lumpy and uncomfortable 2 of us were forced to sleep on the floor/ couch for the second night, we even didn't mind this. We all had a wonderful time in each others company and within our own lodge and Aberfeldy.

However, even before we arrived there were warning bells regarding the sheer lack of organisational skills demonstarted by staff. When booking we were passed between the reception and spa twice because no one could decide who was able to book a lodge. This we put aside, I mean we did mention there was a spa deal included.
Next came booking spa treatments. Long story short, staff lost my 5 appointments for 3 days because bookings had been made under only my first name and not my first and second. I had to send 3 emails containing the confirmation information they had given me before it clicked that maybe since my appointment times and my first name matched they might be mine. Frustrated and unwilling to dish out the £ 160 it would cost me for what I myself had booked. I emailed explaining my frustration stating I wanted to cancel 2 appointments however the group was willing to keep the other 3. I made a list including times and dates of what we wanted cancelled and what I wanted to keep.
Next thing an email stating I shouldn't cancel ALL my appointments as the therapist's are good. Exasperated I phoned, the girl taking my call also could not comprehend why I was only cancelling 2, kept trying to cancel them all.

When we arrived for treatments, they were good. However, wanting to forget about the confusion was impossible with the GM going on about how I didn't supply a second name- It was actually in the email 3 times and in my email address. I didn't point this out because by this point I really didn't care.
They also got an appointment time incorrect again, I'm unsure as to whether they gave me the wrong one 3 times or tthey made it up on the spot.

All in all we would come back on a Groupon deal however have nothing to do with the resort facilities. They are a shambles in terms of organisation. The fact our deal offered 20% off spa treatments was useful since they barely offered a sincere apology.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kobrakaihearts
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for taking he time to review Moness Resort, I'm sincerely sorry to read of the concerns you had whilst booking your stay, please be assured that this is most out of the unusual and I hope you accept our apologies for any confusions, it is reassuring to read despite this I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your treatments and you would come back, should you have opportunity to do so, please contact me direct at helen.davies@moness.com to do so, thank you once again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
tyaside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort was recommended by a friend and we took the opportunity of a weekend break, bed and breakfast.
The hotel is a bit dated but clean and well kept. The room we were given was a basement room with little outlook and a bit dingyand if returning would request an upper floor.
Food is served in either the restaurant or Bistro which we opted for. It was excellent as was the breakfast the following day.
Spa facilties were good and staff were very pleasant and helpful. Will be returning but may try the lodges next time

Room Tip: avoid the basement
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john a
Thank you for your review, its great to read your positive comments, especially with regards to the excellent food and the very pleasant and helpful staff, we will look forward to your next visit , thank you once again.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Described as a Garden Suite, the room we were in was Garden Suite No.2. This was in fact a large room with two singles pushed together to make a super kingsize and two camp beds at the end of our bed for the kids. One of the singles mattresses was sunken in the middle; the TV was 17" and difficult to watch from the bed as it was too small; the bathroom ceiling had water damage and only one of the four downlighters worked. The noise from the upstairs floor meant that we have a full understanding of the toilet and personal habits of the upstairs occupants. The swimming pool water was cloudy and the tiles had a brown greasy deposit on them. The handrail into the pool was wobbly. Our disappointment was conveyed to reception and while they did support in getting the TV to work their was no response to our disappointment re the standard of the accommodation.
The setting of this hotel holds great promise but the overall quality of accommodation and facilities was very disappointing. It was supposed to be an end of holiday treat for all the family, but we would not go back.
Food in the Bistro was quite nice and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Ask at time of booking for details of the room and layout
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed one night and had Spa treatments Everything was great. We stayed in the old part of the hotel. Room was very large and airy and had been fitted out to a very high standard. Restaurant was very good for both dinner and breakfast with a varied menu and the staff were helpful and attentive even though the restaurant was very busy. The Spa treatments were super with the girls being very polite, chatty and discussed the treatments and products used - Not a sales pitch for the products just confirming suitability for skin type etc. we left feeling relaxed and pampered - unlike other Spa days we'd been on where you were just another body passing through until the end of their shift. A beautiful location with well tended grounds and great facilities Each and every member of staff was pleasant and polite would thoroughly recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank J1nty
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from a 5 night stay in a 3 bedroom cottage which we bought through a groupon deal. Good value through the deal but would have been more disappointed in the resort if we had paid full price.
We were given a cottage called Keeper which is set the entrance of the resort. All 3 bedrooms are on the ground floor and are dark and cold all day as the cottage sits surrounded by mature trees which are only a few metres away. We actually had to switch the bedroom heaters on despite the warm weather. Upstairs is spacious if sparsely furnished. All in all adequate for our needs.

Inside the main resort it feels dated and a little shabby in some areas. For families though it had enough to keep the kids amused. There is a games hall which we used at night for squash, badminton and table tennis.

The pool is small and can get busy but as we have 3 children we expect pools to be busy. The changing facilities weren't great and not family friendly. Individual male/female change with only a few cubicles and only one with a baby change. I had to wait with a cold and wet baby for the baby change cubicle as it was being used when I left the pool. Tip for prams - no lift at resort so you have to come around the side of the resort into the courtyard and find the disabled access.

We used the bar/terrace cafe for take-away and the food was ok. We also ate on the terrace one night as the kids were playing in the playground and we could watch them. Some staff friendly, some not so friendly but you get that everywhere you go.

Wi-Fi is free in the resort with reasonable speed. The resort has beautiful grounds and a duck pond with ducks that will eat from your hand.

Aberfeldy itself is lovely although beware that the majority of restaurants are closed on a Monday and some on a Tuesday too. Also food isn't served all day, usually 12-2 and 6-9. With young children we found this a problem but the Birks cinema restaurant serves all day and food is superb.

Room Tip: If you are booking a 3 bedroom cottage ask for one in garden Wynd as this is next to the main resort...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pheeona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We were here a year ago and had a great experience and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service from the waitress/waiters, everyone was so friendly. We came back this year for a return visit and we were not impressed with the food and the service from the terrace bar. The waitress that served us tonight did not have a smile on her face and did not seem interested in serving us, the service was very slow and we were very disappointed after a long wait to find the food was cold and the presentation of the food was awful in comparison from last year. Do not eat at the terrace as it is overpriced and overrated. Another point to make is that the pool has no supervision and kids were running along the tiles and diving in deep parts of the water and young children were going into the VERY HOT hot tub with no supervision (the hot tub has only to be used by people over the age of 16). Although the accommodation was lovely I would not recommend to eat in this establishment. I was disappointed in the difference a year can make and we will not be coming back to the Moness Resort.

Stayed July 2014
9 Thank Ann Marie M
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have to confess I was a little bit suspicious about the great 5pm deal on the 2 bed cottage, but there was no need to worry. For £120 for 2 nights in high season it was simply a brilliant price. The cottages are absolutely lovely - comfortable, well equipped and great for families. The pool was warm and clean - the sauna was hot! There is a small kid's playground of site and the hungriest ducks I have ever encountered. Our little girls was most delighted. We ate in the Bistro one night - and it was perfectly adequate. I would do so again, if you didn't fancy going out.

Good trips with a little person include the Highland Folk Museum - about an hour north up the A9 - free entry and a brilliant day out. Our daughter especially enjoyed the 1700s village where you can poke the fire, have a go at grinding corn and build a timber frame house. Closer to home, the Watermill bookshop and cafe in Aberfedly is a little bit of chilled out Heaven... bookshop upstairs with a large children's area, and downstairs coffee and cake in front of the woodburner.... if you conitnue down the street that the bookshop is in, there is a lovely park with excellent playpark (about 5 min walk)- all very new and worth an hour of any self-repecting under 11.

Foodie folk might want to skip the Moness Bar and hop 6 miles down the road to Kenmore. We like the Courtyard Deli - just the other side of the village - which has a stylish restaurant, bar and deli shop. They will do you a burger to write home about for only about a quid more than Moness, and then you can cross the road and walk it off round the Loch. A lovely way to end the day.

Beware of the wifi - they charge for it, even in public areas - we didn't bother. No phone reception for us either :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank EdinburghSusan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
Kenmore Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aberfeldy
The Kenmore Club
The Kenmore Club
#1 of 2 in Kenmore

Been to Moness Resort? Share your experiences!