“Fantastic stay, first class service”
Review of Moness Resort

Moness Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom lodge which was spotless inside, roomy and very welcoming. We had excellent views of the hills and enjoyed a relaxing break. The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, good atmosphere in the lounge/pub and breakfast was excellent. Will definately come back.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JEannie1066
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for a fantastic five star review, its great to read that you will definately come back, we hope its not too long before you have the opportunity to do so, thank you once again

Write a ReviewReviews (3,799)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Efficient check in, grounds are very well maintained, lodge was clean and comfortable and the resort is well situated to explore the surrounding country with lots of lovely walks and excellent birding within 30 mins drive. Negatives are that from the outside the lodges look very scruffy and tired, the kitchen need updating and dish washers fitting and there is no WiFi in the lodges only in the reception. Also we did not eat at the resort as the food at the upstairs restaurant looked more fast food than sit down food. We did not eat at the downstairs restaurant. Overall not to RCIs usual standard and would not revisit and only recommend to others with reservations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank j w

Thank you for taking the time to review Moness Resort and for all your positive feedback, namely the efficient check in, the well maintained grounds, location and your clean and comfortable accommodation. All feedback is appreciated and used constructively to improve the customer feedback, thank you once again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked a little break for my Mum and I, and it turned out to be disastrous. On the website, the resort looks lovely, peaceful and relaxing. Perfect for us to relax after Mum going through six months of chemotherapy. We were really looking forward to our stay. Anyway, after 2.5 hours driving from Edinburgh we arrived at the resort. As soon as we stepped into the reception area we knew it wasn't going to be a 4 star experience. The surroundings outside the building are beautiful, however the actual interior decor is very dated. We waited in a queue at reception for about 20 minutes and then the receptionist took our details and gave us our cottage key. Not great customer service for a start- he didn't actually tell us anything about what we can do or what's nearby. There was however, a young guy speaking to the guests next to us who seemed very helpful and enthusiastic. Anyway, there were others behind us so he must have been too busy. So as we approach our 'cottage' we notice it looks like it needs a bit of a revamp and more importantly a good clean. There was bird poo all over the windows, and also above the door. fair enough if it was recent poo but it was old, with cobwebs everywhere, the letterbox rusty, just not good. Then we step inside, immediately the stale smell hit us. The cottage was very dated and not clean. The carpets were ancient and green with stains all over them, the couches were ancient and red and had a horrible musty smell coming off them. The furniture looked like something from a retirement home, never mind a 4 star resort. The cutlery and dishes were dirty, the outside patio furniture was very dated, dirty and looked like it had seen better days. There was a lovely dead spider incrusted into the shower wall, the bedroom was very musty smelling and dated like everything else.

As soon as we seen where we would be sleeping we knew it wasn't going to be the relaxing, enjoyable break that we had planned. We left the resort and headed into Aberfeldy, this was around 4pm and every cafe / restaurant was shut and the place was dead. So we headed back to the resort to eat. Bad idea. We went to the restaurant upstairs, sat down and noticed cutlery was dirty and the artificial plant next to Mum was covered in thick dust and the bottom of the curtains was brown with dirt. I ordered the steak pie, Mum ordered fish and chips. Steak pie, more like very salty soup with 3 pieces of meat, pastry, some old boiled new potatoes that still had dirt on them and a very dry, wilted salad. Mum's fish and chips came in some sort of mini fryer, making it very awkward to eat so she had to request a plate. Fish was ok but chips were half cooked and tasted horrible. From the restaurant we could see the 'spa'. The spa is more like a tiny dingy swimming pool with what resembles a large coffin as a jacuzzi. Anyway, we only ate less than half before deciding enough was enough. We decided to leave, Mum handed in the keys to reception and told the man we were leaving and no questions were asked, I'm guessing this happens alot. We drove back to Edinburgh that night, and after all the faffing around I realised I left my makeup bag with my medication in the cottage. I had to call three times and e-mail them, providing my card details so they could deduct £5 for postage/packaging which is an absolute disgrace. They have provided us with a shocking service, and despite the communication since leaving, we have still not been asked why we left and why we were unhappy with our visit. This is terrible customer service, I would not recommend this resort to anyone. NOT 4 STAR!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Merelle A

It is naturally disappointing to read your review and I'm sincerely sorry to read of your disappointment and I would kindly ask you to contact me direct at helen.davies@moness.com

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Was prepared to be disappointed after reading some reviews but found everything to be enjoyable.The cottage was clean and well equipped. The resort itself was clean and well maintained. The facilities were enjoyed by myself and my 3 girls (15,12 and 8)And although on arrival the pool looked a bit cloudy and had a scum line and the hot tub and sauna were out of use, by next day all was clean and working.(I can only assume the scum line was due to the amount of fake tanned women I saw using the pool that night!)The meall we had in bar overlooking the pool was beautiful and enjoyed by all as was the very satisfying buffet breakfast. Although we were not given much information on arrival we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. Moness and surrounding areas are beautiful, we enjoyed hiring a boat on Loch Tay and visited the Crannog Centre and had a nice walk through the "Birks".I will be coming back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Norma E

Thank you for your five star review, its great to read you enjoyed your family break at Moness Resort and that you would return to stay with us, we sincerely hope you have the opportunity to do so soon, thank you once again

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Booked moness as it was advertised as four star and sounded nice, the lodge we stayed in was no where near four star, so many maintenance issues, and poor standard of cleaning! Dated and in need of redecoration . Stains on sofas, tables and carpets, windows covered in finger prints, crockery and cutlery dirty and mould in showers. Not great.

decided never to use pool as it was very small and concerned that same standard of cleaning would be in place and did not fancy catching anything,

went to the bar upstairs one night, staff pleasant, but how can you go so wrong with fish and Chips? Fish greasy and chips half cooked.

The location and grounds are nice, but sadly would not return very expensive for what in reality is two star accommodation .

advertised as free Wifi it was useless , Wifi is now a basic standard in accommodation and not a luxury in my opinion

very disappointing

Room Tip: If you fancy a nice quiet self catering lodge Crieff hydro offer great accommodation
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, albeit it naturally disappointing to read, we are sincerely disappointed that the resort did not meet your expectations and whilst we do not agree with all your concerns we do appreciate we cannot please everybody all the time, however be assured that all constructive feedback is appreciated and used to improve the customer experience, thank you once again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Having booked moness as a girly trip using a groupon voucher we really can't complain about the price we paid (£30 each for two nights) for the 4 of us. The sofa bed was so lumpy and uncomfortable 2 of us were forced to sleep on the floor/ couch for the second night, we even didn't mind this. We all had a wonderful time in each others company and within our own lodge and Aberfeldy.

However, even before we arrived there were warning bells regarding the sheer lack of organisational skills demonstarted by staff. When booking we were passed between the reception and spa twice because no one could decide who was able to book a lodge. This we put aside, I mean we did mention there was a spa deal included.
Next came booking spa treatments. Long story short, staff lost my 5 appointments for 3 days because bookings had been made under only my first name and not my first and second. I had to send 3 emails containing the confirmation information they had given me before it clicked that maybe since my appointment times and my first name matched they might be mine. Frustrated and unwilling to dish out the £ 160 it would cost me for what I myself had booked. I emailed explaining my frustration stating I wanted to cancel 2 appointments however the group was willing to keep the other 3. I made a list including times and dates of what we wanted cancelled and what I wanted to keep.
Next thing an email stating I shouldn't cancel ALL my appointments as the therapist's are good. Exasperated I phoned, the girl taking my call also could not comprehend why I was only cancelling 2, kept trying to cancel them all.

When we arrived for treatments, they were good. However, wanting to forget about the confusion was impossible with the GM going on about how I didn't supply a second name- It was actually in the email 3 times and in my email address. I didn't point this out because by this point I really didn't care.
They also got an appointment time incorrect again, I'm unsure as to whether they gave me the wrong one 3 times or tthey made it up on the spot.

All in all we would come back on a Groupon deal however have nothing to do with the resort facilities. They are a shambles in terms of organisation. The fact our deal offered 20% off spa treatments was useful since they barely offered a sincere apology.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank kobrakaihearts

Thank you for taking he time to review Moness Resort, I'm sincerely sorry to read of the concerns you had whilst booking your stay, please be assured that this is most out of the unusual and I hope you accept our apologies for any confusions, it is reassuring to read despite this I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your treatments and you would come back, should you have opportunity to do so, please contact me direct at helen.davies@moness.com to do so, thank you once again

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This resort was recommended by a friend and we took the opportunity of a weekend break, bed and breakfast.
The hotel is a bit dated but clean and well kept. The room we were given was a basement room with little outlook and a bit dingyand if returning would request an upper floor.
Food is served in either the restaurant or Bistro which we opted for. It was excellent as was the breakfast the following day.
Spa facilties were good and staff were very pleasant and helpful. Will be returning but may try the lodges next time

Room Tip: avoid the basement
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john a

Thank you for your review, its great to read your positive comments, especially with regards to the excellent food and the very pleasant and helpful staff, we will look forward to your next visit , thank you once again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel
Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kinloch Rannoch

Been to Moness Resort? Share your experiences!