“Nice cafe but change the bread” 3 of 5 bubbles

Habitat Cafe
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Aberfeldy
Cuisines: British, Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: National Winner of "Tea Accolade 2016" (Beverage Standard Association), short-listed for Best Coffee Experience 2015 (Business Lunch UK Awards) National Winner of Best Overall Experience (BSA Awards 2014) National Winner of UK's Best Espresso (BSA Awards 2013). Scotland's only BSA "5 Cups" accredited establishment (2013 to 2016). We're serious about coffee, tea, food and service. Located in the town's central square, we have seating for around 30 customers at our handmade farmhouse tables. Our baristas serve hand-brewed HasBean coffee and over 30 loose leaf teas in a relaxing environment. Handmade gourmet burgers, vegetarian options, award winning local produce, an entire gluten-free menu, free wifi and carefully planned accessibility. Dog friendly throughout.
uk
“Nice cafe but change the bread”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited this cafe en-route to the North. The interior design is really nice and the service is very prompt. Is it the best coffee in Scotland - as stated by some locals here - probably not but it's good - the double expresso looks much like a single - and I have sampled expresso in many countries. It's a little un-generous. I ordered the bacon bagette which is desribed as generous and it is as it comes with mushrooms - tomato (1 slice) and ketchup. The bacon was plentiful but - pet hate- had the fat still attached and I would have preferred lean or at least crispy. However, that is personal taste and I cannot fault them for this. The bread however was unforgivable powdery, cheap bread - the type of bagettes you get part cooked from a supermarket. I did mention this when asked and they took it back, but the second one was no better and fell apart immediately. When you pay over £6! for a bacon bagette - you expect quality. However, how you deal with critisism really defines you and this owner automatically removed the price from the bill...which signals well for this place. My only other point would be the prices - which seem very high. This is not just true for this cafe but Aberfeldy in general....not sure why?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank vince092
HabitatCafe, Owner at Habitat Cafe, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thanks for your kind review. I'm really pleased you've brought up the subject of our espresso recipe, noticing that it is lower in mass than you will find in many traditional cafes. There is a very good reason for this, although it really has nothing to do with generosity or otherwise :) If you (and other interested readers) will indulge me, I'd love to shed some light on this as espresso is a subject close to my heart.
We use a contemporary approach to espresso, actually using MORE coffee to make our espresso than traditional cafes use to make longer versions of the drink! A traditional double espresso uses 14g whereas our current recipe uses 19.3g. We weigh the coffee used, and we also weigh the beverage produced. This is part of a recipe, and we are exacting in our approach as the aroma, flavour and mouth texture of the espresso differs vastly depending upon the recipe used. Put in an extremely simplified way, by using more coffee IN, to produce a shorter shot OUT (coupled with a multitude of other factors) we are able to emphasize some of the more fruity and sweet notes that are inherent within the high-grade beans we use. As a result we recommend our espresso without sugar as it often has a greater natural sweetness than traditional (Italian Style) espresso which requires uses lower grade beans, is roasted darker, and is really best with the addition of sugar.
Similarly, it costs us more than twice as much to produce our double espresso compared with traditional cafes. There are several reasons for this:
a) The beans we buy are more expensive than traditional (commodity) coffees, since they have been through a significantly higher quality control process during every step of their growth, transport and production. Ingredients quality makes a huge difference to flavour.
b) Our supplier works directly with many of the coffee farmers, knowing them by name, paying them HIGHER than market price or fairtrade price. It is often a personal relationship spanning several years, with many benefits including higher quality, greater sustainability, and a better life for the farmers & their families.
c) Every time you buy a coffee from us, a portion of your money goes to a not-for-profit organisation called CoffeeKids. They work in coffee farming communities in some of the world's poorest places, on projects funded by US AND YOU, improving the lives and livelihoods of those communities. Ethical practices such as this are important to me and to our customers.
I hope you will take this as it is intended - not as a lecture but rather as a sharing of something I am passionate about. Sharing the joy of modern coffee methods with my customers is part of my role as a coffee professional :)
Lastly, regarding the bread used for our bacon baguettes, I certainly take your points on board. Within the past 18 months since we opened, I think yours is the second comment of this nature, so perhaps the bread is enjoyed by most customers. However, no feedback is ignored and I will be speaking to our bread supplier to see if we can identify a higher quality alternative.
Please do feel free to contact me with any further feedback!
Regards,
Mike
info@habitatcafe.co.uk

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Fresh sandwiches made to order , delicious, even the salad garnish was tasty. plenty of choice. Good service.

2 Thank LiMcG
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Probably the best cup of coffee in Scotland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Faultless coffee. I pop in a couple of times a week, but haven't had a bad one yet. Great care taken over several available brewing methods.

2 Thank Phil C
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Good food and coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Good food, good coffee, good service, good price in the heart of Aberfeldy. Couldn't ask for better.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Steve_Co111
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great teas, sandwiches and cakes. Would recommend a visit to the book shop, art gallery and great homeware at Homer.

Visited April 2014