“Ecellence”
Review of The Strathearn

The Strathearn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Strathearn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 31 Restaurants in Auchterarder
Price range: US$87 - US$87
Cuisines: French, Scottish
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Strathearn, the glamorous heart of Gleneagles, is one of Scotland's most sophisticated yet buzzy destination restaurants, recreating the elegance of a bygone era with a theatrical flourish. Silver butler trays are whisked with calm confidence between the grand pillars to your candlelit table, filling the air with the scent of flambéd cognac, whisky, pernod or sweet, caramelised Grand Marnier. Steeped in a rich Franco-Scottish tradition, our passionate chefs bring seasonal, locally sourced classics (the names Thermidor, Bonne Femme, Diane, Wellington, Chateaubriand, crêpe Suzette, and, of course, Scottish smoked salmon echo down the ages) to a smart, convivial contemporary audience. The Strathearn is also the home of the legendary Gleneagles breakfast and Sunday lunch.
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Superb food impeccable service accompanied by a superb pianist
relaxing surroundings with courteous staff excellent value looking forward to returning very soon

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed DBB for two nights. We visited the Strathearn Restaurant for 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts. We had to ask to move tables 5 times in all, plus we moved rooms. Not paying all that money to sit in a draughty corridor. The meal on the first night was fantastic. The second evening was disappointing. The fillet steak was nothing special - though my husband had raved about it the night before. Breakfast had an amazing choice - but cooked breakfasts in the buffet looked over cooked and unappetising. Best to order fresh. We thoroughly enjoyed the break. Staff handled every problem well - just a pity there were so many of them.

TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at The Strathearn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for allowing us to respond to the feedback you kindly took the time to provide.
While I was relived to read that the situations was handled courteously by the team, it certainly remains a concern that so many table moves were necessary. We endeavour to take any individual preferences under consideration and so Adrian Humphries, the restaurant manager, has promise to find out why the opportunity was missed to move you to an adequate table on the first attempt. I would also like to apologise on his behalf if you felt the food quality failed to meet expectations. It would be immensely beneficial if you found the time to contact us directly so we can ensure your concerns are addresses adequately.

Thank you once again for your comments and we certainly do hope that your latest experience will not prevent you from returning.

With Best Regards,
Andreas Porias
Front Of House Manager

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Gleneagles and ate 2 breakfasts and 1 dinner in the Strathearn restaurant. To say I was underwhelmed is an understatement.

The restaurant is most impressive and has the wow factor as far as appearance goes. It reminded me of the many grand restaurants I have dined in on cruise ships. Sadly the service did not match up to the surroundings and neither did the breakfast food.

Breakfast - Buffet
If quantity rather quality is important to you, then you would enjoy this. There is a lot of food on the buffet! After enjoying my cold cereal, I returned to the buffet full of anticipation! Unfortunately when I got there, the fried eggs were very dried out and looking sorry for themselves. I opted for some bacon - flabby and barely warm, a poached egg, a piece of black pudding and a vegetarian sausage. The 'sausage' tasted more like an onion bhaji and the egg - well just a poached egg. The black pudding was the highlight of the meal.

Breakfast - Classics prepared in the kitchen
Having been disappointed in the buffet, - on day two, I decided to order from the menu. I had porridge with raspberries. It was nice enough but could have done with being hotter. I ordered a cheese and mushroom omelette to follow......half an hour after finishing my porridge I had to ask the waiter to chase it up - he didn't seem to notice that we hadn't been served. I got some story of it not having been 'called' in the kitchen. The omelette was tasty enough when it arrived, but I was disappointed in the service.

Dinner

Dinner service was very slow and although the food when it arrived was nice enough, it was not anything out of the ordinary. When we finished our main course we ordered cheese and coffee. Long after the cheese had been served and devoured, the coffee had still not made an appearance. As we pushed our chairs back to leave - the coffee arrived. We sat down again - but the coffee was not good. The waiter kindly comped our coffee as he realised he had forgotten to order it.

My impression of the Strathearn was that the staff were stuffier than the guests! They did nothing to make me feel like a valued customer. I will stick to the Deseo Restaurant next time.

2  Thank Carolyn111_12
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at The Strathearn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to leave your very detailed feedback. I am immensely sorry that both your breakfast and dinner experience fell short of expectations.

Considering that at Gleneagles we pride ourselves in outstanding standards, the combination between quality and service related shortcomings you describe is most concerning to me.
Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with Adrian Humphries, the Restaurant Manager, who would not only like to extend his personal apologies, but also welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters with you directly in some more detail, should you wish to contact him.

Please allow me to also take this opportunity to thank you for your patronage and it is our hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the close future.

With Best Regards,

Andreas Porias
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2014

A trip to the Strathearn while staying at Gleneagles is a must.

My wife and I had a lovely dinner tonight in beautiful surroundings with the pianist playing in the background to accompany a beautiful meal topped of with first class service throughout.

Many thanks to Paul Hughes and all his team.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

the food is superb and the choice quite amazing we had breakfast and dinner here, the staff are second to none this is a great restaurant we cannot wait to return