“We like it, but...”
Review of Glenmor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Auchterarder
Glenmor
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have been going to Glenmor for 7 years now, being one of the first people to take a week's share there. The properties are well laid out, and the overall quality is pretty good, but I second another commentator's comments. We pay through the nose for maintenance - as much for the one week we have as for a self-catering property we could spend on a couple of week's full board in the sun. The refurbishment seems to have been done to a budget - a low one. Our oven still falls apart if you aren't careful with it; we had problems with the entertainment upgraded system (both in the hotel and in the property). (On the subject of the entertainment system, if you want to watch a one-of film, it is cheaper to go to a shop and buy the DVD - each property has multiple DVD players; a single film to watch is exorbitantly expensive). As it is self-catering, more kitchen equipment would be appreciated.

The beds have always been a problem: the mattresses are not top quality, and sleep is not always easy. We were hoping that the refurb would have changed all of this - we still have to use duvets off the other beds to lay on top of the mattress to make it comfortable.

Although the staff are all very pleasant, basic issues are just met with an apology but little action.

But - the surroundings are glorious. We go up the week before Xmas and visit all the local villages and drive around taking roads as we come across them.

The Glenmor management need to ensure that standards are maintained. If standards do slip, I believe that owners will start to sell off (or take legal proceedings against their initial contracts). If properties become unoccupied for multiple slots through the year, the monies required to maintain standards will not be coming in - and a spiral down starts. If anything, the management should now be looking at how to move things to the next level: finding out what we all would like to see at Glenmor and working with us all to ensure that we are all happy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Clivel_98

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our fourth Christmas visit to Glenmor, and unfortunately it was very disappointing compared to what we have come to expect from previous years.

The homes have been "refurbished" recently - a lick of paint, some new fabric on the sofas and new headboards on the beds. None of the bedroom furniture has been replaced, and as you can imagine they are beginning to look quite tired after such a long period of use (several broken drawer handles, etc). As Glenmor owners, we pay a premium maintenance fee to keep properties up to date....this is definitely not being spent in our home, where showers have not been sealed, toilet flushes are coming away from the wall and ceilings are stained from water leaks.

During the second half of our stay, we returned from the leisure facilities to find a large water leak in the ceiling of one of our bedrooms. The maintenance team had moved the bed, put two buckets under the drip and turned the heat up in an effort to solve the problem. After MUCH effort on our part and MANY phonecalls, the concierge finally agreed to move two of our party to the hotel where they could sleep without danger of being leaked on/the ceiling caving in. Not exactly what you would expect from a five star facility, especially keeping in mind the cost of maintenance fees.

If you do like to cook, please remember that the kitchen is poorly stocked (no wooden spoons, large pots, or a sieve). The concierge will bring items that are needed over to your property, but I feel that a wooden spoon is standard kitchen equipment that shouldn't have to be specially requested.

The leisure club is undergoing refurbishment. Although it looks much more appealing than it has in previous years, it's been blighted by ongoing power issues. This means that, during the week we stayed, there was only one day where we could have full use of the facilities (sauna, steam, jacuzzi). Be aware that the sauna and jacuzzi are relatively colder than they should be, so not very pleasant. Once again, trying to communicate issues around non-working faculties to the staff proved to be a nightmare.

Other than the ongoing issues, Christmas week is still a great time to come to Glenmor. Lots of festive activities, beautiful decorations, and a lovely atmosphere in the hotel. Unfortunately, the Glenmor team have several issues they need to address and communication with guests is deplorable for such a resort.

Overall - we will stay again (as we already own our week), but hope that things will return to an expected standard. Would I advise friends of mine to pay a premium price to visit at Christmas? Not a chance. There are many places where you can get more for less.

• Stayed: December 2013
11  Thank abdn13
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This was our second trip to glenmor lodges, this time taking advantage of the sales offer ie you sit through a 'sales presentation" at a price of £375 for 2 nights and we added an extra night for £199. In the sales offer you get dinner in the strath earn restaurant up to the value of £59 per person and you get a spa session or equivalent as part of the package. The main pool is undergoing refurb so things are well organised despite this.

The properties are lovely but I don't think are worth 'buying' ie for,a short break is £7500 and then maintenance of about £700 a year!!!!! So keep to renting even if its only for a special treat every couple of years. We paid about £2600 off season for a 3 bed ( in February). That aside - 3 king sized double bedrooms. For some reason I did not sleep! Not sure why. Think it was the pillows. Defo need to give the option of firm non feather pillows. And they have this REALLY annoying blue light linked to a burglar alarm. We had to put a sock over it!

These are the only downsides (tho one kitchen unit door fell off - so much for well maintained!!!).

The kitchen is well kitted out, the tv has lots of channels (tho think it should be bigger for amount being paid). The bathroom with big bath is LOVELY but I don't know what it is.... I think there is something lacking for the amount expected for these timeshares and I guess I can't get the cost of then out my head!!!! As I say, bath lovely - but would have thought would have a jacuzzi bath! But it really is only a bath.

No one will be disappointed staying here but I do think overpriced!

Spa is the best I've been to in Scotland. Having the kiddies in the playroom for 2 hours is fab. Food is good in deseo. Strath earn meal was good (main meal was average but still tasty). Hairdressers is ok. If getting hair coloured, make sure you get the patch test done or they will refuse to do your hair despite this being the ONLY salon I've been to that insists on this. I was fairly pleased with y hair until my mum pointed out I had a blonde 'ring' which looked like a 'target'. Cut was fine.

Be warned tho - the newsletter we got sent is to the stables for the 'visit' on the wrong day only to be told it was on weds, not Tuesdays. Staff made it sound like I was the stupid one (and seemed to ignore my suggestion they called the author of the newsletter to make sure they didn't get it wrong). Mistakes happen but I do believe if it claims to be a 5 star establishment, then this should not happen. Felt some staff were a bit up their own backsides and the sales staff, when knew we weren't really interested in buying, weren't going to shake our hands at the end!

This sounds like I didn't enjoy it - I did but as insay, for,the price there is just a little something missing! We will return but likely to be a few years before we go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lovvers
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This is our fourth year staying at Glenmor for a few days after New Year . The quality and standard of the accomodation is still 1st class and the activities for kids are wonderful ( off road driving is however an expensive add-on).

The hotel facilities are excellent and the various add-ons at this time of year for the kids ( skating rink , pool inflatable , crafts etc ) make it a very easy family holiday .

We will most definately be returning next year.

Room Tip: If you have kids eat in the Tryst at lunchtime for good value meals as the other options Dormie , De...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This was our first time and already we cannot wait until we go back again next year. Yes this is a different way to spend a week in November and Yes you could be away for a week in the sun, but honestly this is the most relaxing enjoyable week I have had in a long time, even though it rained and rained and rained. Our house was fantastic and it is kitted out with everthing you need to make your stay the best it can be. I would like to say a BIG THANKYOU to Elaine at ther Tryst who was always on hand to fill your drink with a smile and a bit of banter. If you are eating out then Deseo's is the best, forget about Fairley's if you want a Fillet Steak cooked to perfection then this is the place to go and as for the Dormy Club House the staff and food down there is just fantastic, obviously Juan is doing a good job making sure you are looked after to the highest standard. You have the best of both worlds using the hotel facilities and having the luxury of your home. Our 3 Bedroom house allowed my mum to come up and visit during the week, which was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BTDEdinburgh
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Although we know a few people who have visited Gleneagles hotel, we had little idea of what to expect from Glenmor. We had a fantastic time - and are converts. However, if you are reading this, perhaps you want some helpful reasons/insights. There is so much to cover...

Firstly, the 'village' and houses. When you look at the photos, and see the place for the first time, the houses can look a bit crammed together and small. In fact, they are tardis-like. Stepping inside, you have a great sense of space. The upstairs open-plan living room is extremely well laid out. Someone mentioned that "there are no bad bedrooms". This is true - but in our 4 bed house there was a "best" one which might make for some straw-pulling if 2 families shared. The style is a neutral "international luxury"-look. Materials are good - perhaps wisely steered towards finishes which can't be damaged (i.e. laminated woods etc.). The house was a great place to curl up in the evenings, fire lit, watching a movie with the family. In fact, we gave up eating dinner out for that reason. If you are happy to self-cater, Tesco conveniently deliver to the Glemor concierge.

Secondly, facilities. Gleneagles has an incredibly wide range of activities - everything delivered to a very high standard. Particularly recommend falconry as something for the family together. My wife gave great reports of the spa. Golf coaching was excellent. Despite all the activities being taught to a "serious" standard, it was all very warm and open for younger children. Family-friendly without being dumbed-down.

Restaurants. Bit more hit and miss but the service was always trying hard, even where it didn't succeed. Dormy (Golf club house) was great. Deseo not so great.

Service. Gleneagles is a remarkably complex operation. At its best, it is Four Seasons standard service. But it lacks consistency at times. However, when it tripped (a couple of times), the recovery from a gentle complaint was amazing. The team really seems to want to do a great job.

Surrounding area. This was my first proper holiday in Scotland. Try to leave the grounds of the hotel and follow one of the local suggested hiking trails. The scenery is spectacular.

I wouldn't actually want to stay in the hotel. It's very impressive - but more for a business conference than a family country pursuits vacation. Glenmor seemed like the perfect way to have the best of all worlds. Family-friendly is usually a term that makes my blood run cold - just code for "we tolerate brattishness". Yet this was the most civilised and inclusive family environment I have seen in the UK. I really recommend it.

One final point would be that I found the prices really reasonable - always very fair for what was being provided. Not cheap of course. But I never felt ripped off for anything - which is rarely something you can say in top name hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JT14
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have been 3 times to stay in the Glenmor lodges now and have loved every stay. The houses are very luxuriously decorated with each bedroom having an en-suite and very comfy beds. It is great when you have small children in tow as you have the hotel and facilities very near but the solace of the house when you want to chill out or nap. It really is a beuatifully furnished house which feels like a real treat to stay in. The estate the houses are on wind there way round a green and have a stream running through them. There is a pub/restaurant on site called the Tryst which does decent food but seems to be a bit souless, not a bad thing if you want to go somewhere with 3 kids and not worry abuot other diners being disturbed. It may have just been the weeks we have stayed but always seems a bit quite, shuts in the evening and when they do have entertainment on its things like Water colour classes?! Not for everyones tastes. Over all really cant fault the staff, facilities, houses and experience. Always sad to leave, a beautiful resort and lots to do.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 1 in Aberuthven
Glendevon Hotel
Glendevon Hotel
#9 of 12 in Auchterarder

Been to Glenmor? Share your experiences!