“Worse ever hotel-go elsewhere-have to give it 1star to send review”
Review of Glendevon Hotel

Glendevon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Auchterarder B&B and Inns
West Linton, United Kingdom
“Worse ever hotel-go elsewhere-have to give it 1star to send review”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have stayed in many hotels over the years on business but this is the worse ever.
Do NOT stay at this dump -it should be closed down -it's filthy and very run down.

I stayed and could not relax -carpets are disgusting -next to local Spar -delivery vehicle around 5.30 am very noisy.

Staff couldn't care less.

Close to venue for 2014 Ryder Cup -this palace is no advert for Perthshire or Scotland

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jack K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Booked this hotel for 2 nights as my usual hotel in the area was closed for refurbishment. ITS NOT A HOTEL - its a pub with rooms. I arrived quite late and was taken up to my room which was very basic and small - would have been too small for 2 people. After a 300 mile drive I really fancied a hot shower. No such luck. The shower only worked when set on freezing - any movement of the dial and it slowed to a trickle. I did my best with that and decided to watch a bit of TV before heading to bed. Couldn't get any of the mainstream channels so switched it off and picked up my book. 10 minutes the later the TV randomly switched itself back on. I switched it off again but the same thing happened. I eventually had to get out of bed and unplug the TV. Was woken a total of 5 times through the night either from other guests or staff talking outside my door or banging doors - the last time recorded at 4.30 am. After a terrible night's sleep I tried the shower again - no pump, no water, no point wasting any more time on this hotel. I decided to check out after breakfast. Went down to breakfast which was a very sorry affair. Self service tea, coffee, toast. I was asked if I wanted a hot breakfast, which I did, then heard nothing more for 15 minutes when a plate of luke-warm food arrived, most of which was inedible. As I paid in advance I needed a refund for my 2nd night that I wasn't prepared to stay for. I had to wait a further 15 minutes for the breakfast lady to appear, but she was unable to get hold of anyone who could arrange a refund. I agreed to travel back to the hotel at lunch time to speak to the manager, but when I did I was then told he was unavailable. I have been assured I will be credited back with the money but I'm still waiting. This is the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AnneA1976

Travellers are raving about these Auchterarder hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My partner stayed over here whilst working away. After a long hard day all you want to do is rest right? DO NOT STAY HERE. Unless of course you want to be eaten alive in your sleep my bed bugs! Yes, bed bugs. Around 25 bed bugs have bitten my partner and woke him up early hours of the morning. An awful thick red lumped rash has appeared all over his skin. (Pictures to follow) after jumping out of bed to find the beasts crawling all over him he went to reception to be greeted by an inconsiderate receptionist who advised nothing could be done about it and these things happen!! Shocking service. My partner had to leave in the middle of the night and go in search of a clean and welcoming hotel. After phoning the following night to discuss with the manager Charles Hagan I explained the situation, he was arrogant and advised all he could do was say sorry it happened! After explaining of loss of earnings due to my partner having to return home to seek medical attention he will now no longer return my calls it take my calls. Stay well away from this hell hole which is run by hooligans, nothing but cowboys in the industry with only money on there minds and no pride taken in the business. I am utterly shocked at the state of my partner and can not imagine how horrific it is to wake up to beasts crawling and eating every inch of your body!!!! DISGUSTING I would not let my dog stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Steph-ashton
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped here one night only.
To be honest the food was good!

We were asked what time we wanted breakfast so we picked as early as possible. No one turned up at 7.30am. We had to leave because we had an early tee time at gleneagles.

I phoned them to say I'd left my DAB radio. They said they had it and would post it. After 30 or so phone calls and the staff were at a loss too as to why Charles the owner or manager would not send it to me or even answer my calls.

I even offered to pay postage.

Tantamount to theft

Ignorant.

To be honest it's tired. Needs fully updating. The showers are crap. It would've been better standing outside in the drizzle.

All in all it is memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sloney67
Bonny Scotland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

As others say the hotel could do with some TLC but we had a good nights sleep and the staff were all friendly and helpful, a big thanks to the chef who started early to make us food as we had to leave very early before breakfasts had started.

Room Tip: Ask for a side room to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked the Glendevon Hotel for two nights due to its close proximity to the Gleneagles Hotel where we were celebrating a family birthday we arrived on the friday night and the staff were very nice and checked us in efficiently then showed us to our room we were booked into the family room as there were four of us the room itself was shabby and in dire need of a bit of an upgrade peeling wallpaper in the bedroom and the bathroom massive damp stain around the valve of the radiator plastic curtain at the window covered in stains a television that worked intermittently and a shower that dribbled water!!!!! We joined other family members for a few drinks in the lounge area which was nice and the service was great albeit a bit noisy from the bar area on climbing the narrow staircase back to our room around 1130 we thought we could settle down for a good nights sleep how wrong we were what possessed anyone to put a family room above a public bar is beyond me you could hear every word being said along with doors slamming people singing loud music etc that coupled with the paper thin walls between the rooms where you could hear everything going on including someone having a wee did not make for a restful night breakfast time the next morning slightly redeemed the hotel with a lovely hot full cooked breakfast arriving whether we wanted it or not it was just placed in front of us self service fruit juice hot drinks and toast were also available.

We spent the day out (and purchased earplugs) then returned to the hotel to prepare for the family dinner at Gleneagles on the Saturday on returning from this fairly late at night we were dismayed to find live music being played in the lounge and crowds of people having a sing song etc this did not bode well for a restful nights sleep again on Saturday my husband and brother in law went to the bar on the way in to order a nightcap for in our rooms only to be told the bar was shut we then had a debate about our thoughts that if you are a resident you can order a drink!!!! Disturbed nights sleep followed again as the party continued on the street and the earplugs offered little respite!!! Breakfast on Sunday completely finished it for me for this hotel my husband and son arrived before myself and my daughter and despite informing the staff we were on our way down when we arrived 15 minutes later we were not offered a cooked breakfast and there were no staff to be found anywhere even when we made toast I had to go looking for someone to get a portion of butter and a teabag to make a hot drink this was provided by the cleaning lady. I suppose for us its safe to say that we will never visit the Glendevon Hotel ever agin which is a shame as it is in a lovely location and if a little bit of general tidying up and attention to detail would make a huge difference to this hotel. Would definately NOT recommend weekend from hell

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Wcroud
Reviewed 25 September 2013

As previously mentioned threadbare carpets etc thankfully no music but a noisy bar below. There was fungus growing out of the carpet where the radiator had leaked wall paper hanging off the celling in the bathroom. The security is unbelievably lapse with the fire door being used as an entrance once the bar closed. Thankfully it was a short stay.

• Stayed September 2013