“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Auchterarder
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Heard so much about this hotel but it was a let down. Stayed one night for a business meeting and yes the building is beautiful inside and the staff are very friendly, however if it wasn't for the golf then I'm not sure what this hotel has to offer. The room was nice but no air con or fans which gave me a restless sleep due to the heat in the room even with all the windows open. The whole hotel was like this. Service behind the bar was very slow on this night I think there was a conference on and only 3 barmen on. It took 30 minutes to get served! Not what I expect from a hotel of this standard. I appreciate that prices go up in these establishment but a vodka & fresh orange and a gin and tonic for £21.95 is day light robbery! On a positive note the food is lovely and although I didn't use the spa facilities they did look impressive. Overall I can see why people like this hotel it's got character however I do think it's overpriced for what you get.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank divajules

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Went with friends, got a special deal through Golfbreaks, so despite it being a wonderful room it was over looking a roof and I assume it was near the kitchen as I could smell food cooking. We only stayed the one night and played the Kings course which was terrific. All the Staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. Gleneagles is a beautiful building and very tastefully decorated but is priced for the very rich. A small bottle of water £2.75.......

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

if you win the lottery, this is the place to go(or alternatively, even a corporate jaunt will do). Set in one of the most picturesque locations in the heart of Scotland and the location of the next Ryder up. The accommodation and food are at the top of the range.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Antrim, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was my 65th BIrthday surprise going to Gleneagles in Scotland, how I remember my 60th so well at Ashford Castle,Cong, Ireland...the latter yes a wonderful memory, wonderful food, wonderful people. Gleneagles was not a good time at all....well I should not be too harsh, the arrival was memorable, valet parking, luggage gone, etc, as one would expect and strangely enough the departure was also great, lovely gentlemen with kilts, car brought around luggage down from room..... Back a bit: we arrived about 12 noon...and had been given an upgrade apparently that was fine, the view out to the gardens was lovely. However, I was not awe struck by the room, vis a vis for one example, Ritz Carlton in Wexford, room to die for...Anyway we decided to walk across the grounds to the Golf Club restaurant Dormy, had couple glasses of bubbles followed by a good lunch (not great but good) and nice wine (thank you Richard for your professionalism and courtesy and involving your Guest relations manager read more soon)... Decided to telephone (from the club restaurant) one and only son and heir in USA, 'Happy Birthday Mother, did you enjoy your surprises?' Sorry son don't know what you mean. He had organised champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for my room on arrival and a 2 hour spa....well of course I almost cried, but thanks to Richard, he made a few calls and all was corrected by the time we dandered back over to our room, and I did not miss my Spa time thankfully and the girls were lovely, but you know dear Trip advisors, the edge had gone off, and I felt sorry for my son's endeavours to give his mother a real good surprise... Yes the strawberries and champagne were in the room when we strolled back across from luncheon, but no time to enjoy as after my spa and nap, it was time for dinner....another story check out my review for Andrew Fairlie thanks....so champers came home with me and strawberry plate put in little fridge overnight and taken down to breakfast....which if I may say was memorable, so glass of champagne, smoked salmon and scrambled egg and followed by chocolate covered strawberries lol all in all was a good way to depart....I was left feeling very mixed emotions about this hotel, really wish I had gone to Manoir aux Quat' saisons Oxfordshire and Raymond Blanc (which was an option thank you husband), I think that would have been memorable, so on the wish list...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fair_Foodie
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time you took to leave feedback following your recent stay at Gleneagles and I am immensely saddened that your experience fell short of expectation. Please rest assured that I have looked at your concerns in some detail to help me understand how we could have avoided the described shortcomings.
When you arrived just before 12pm we wanted to recognise the occasion of your birthday by extending a complimentary upgrade to our Estate room category. Although this was done with the best intentions, regrettably the change of allocation and allowing access to the room prior to our official check in time, meant that the prearranged bottle of champagne, the strawberries as well as the gift from the hotel had not yet made their way to the room. Having spoken to both Richard as well as Iris from Guest Relations, I understand that this was the cause of significant distress after you had spoken to your son. While we can only humbly apologise, I am still relived that both managers helped explain the situation at the time.
Your spa treatment had been booked less than 24h prior to arrival which meant it was not part of the pre-printed itinerary you would have received at the time of check. Regrettably we did not know that this was a surprise arrangement of which you had not been made aware of. Again I was relieved to learn that this was clarified long before the actual appointment time and you had the opportunity to enjoy the treatments in full.
Thank you once again for taking the time to comment following your recent stay and we do hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Andreas Porias
Front of House Manager
Stirling
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The grounds at this time of the year are beautiful with the neatly trimmed grass and the colourful azaleas and rhododendrums. Afternoon tea produced an interesting variety of savouries and sweets in the form of sandwiches and cakes, but most impressive was the welcome and attention of the staff from the moment we stepped up to the front door. Everyone showed an interest and were most helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed for three nights here recently and had a very positive experience. The hotel is beautifully located at the head of a valley in meticulously kept grounds including several golf courses. We had a few minor quibbles beginning with check-in. On arrival we were informed that the computer at the desk showed us booked in for one night only. Instead of checking us in and correcting the matter later we were held in reception with our bags until inquiries were made and the system corrected. We were finally allocated a room on the 4th floor which had a low ceiling and was very warm even with the window permanently open. However the bathroom was fabulous with beautiful period features and a modern walk-in shower room. The hotel is comfortable and luxurious and dinner and breakfast in the main dining room was a treat. Apart from our check-in experience the service was impeccable, A most enjoyable stay - even the golf was good!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea recently for a special birthday treat and was assured by our waitress that, as we hadn't had it before, that we were in for something really special. Unfortunately, was a little disappointed....there was plenty to eat and the tea and coffee kept getting topped up but for what they charge, have to say not really worth it and was nothing 'special'. The Bar was looking a bit tired too. Oh, and the toilets needed attended to, lots of paper lying on the floor, water splashed on floor and over sink areas.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
Duchally Country Estate
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Murraypark Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crieff

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!