Oh, I want to love this hotel! I can rave about the riding lesson I had, and the amazing falconry lesson, the sweet and kind and amazingly helpful staff. The rooms were clean. And modern. But. I just can't believe a woman had any input into the design of these hotel rooms (we stayed in the newer portion of the hotel, so I can't compare to the original hotel accommodations).
The good: Very Attractive.
Not so good: Bathroom - bathtub, no place to put soap, etc. Tub too deep to put it on the floor. Toilet area, very small and you have to sit on it diagonally as your knees will hit the wall (I'm 5'4'), sink design+water pressure means water ends up on you and the floor and not so much in the sink. No way to use the hair dryer in the bathroom (no electrical outlet for it that the cord reaches). Stool doesn't go all the way under the counter so you trip over it. Shower okay, except water leaks out under the door making a puddle in the middle of the bathroom. Sleeping area: Bed is pretty comfortable, but you can feel the divider that makes the two twin beds into a "king". Sitting area: Not really practical, and all of us forgot and fell the four inch step down to it (no injuries but still annoying!).
The best: the hotel sent us a survey, and sent a very personal note back addressing all the concerns we expressed. It was the most personal, interested follow up I've ever experienced.
The short: I would return here again. The grounds are incredible. I loved the activities for the non-golfers and our golfers loved every bit of their experience. Just because the room style and the quasi-Vegas layout of the shops of the hotel are not to my taste, doesn't mean it isn't a very fine hotel in a wonderful location with a near perfect, caring staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An iconic country estate set beneath the beautiful Ochil Hills, The Gleneagles Hotel has been a luxury destination for nearly a century. Located just one hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh airports and with its own railway station, Gleneagles offers the perfect retreat for those looking for relaxation, fun and adventure. Three championship courses have established Gleneagles' reputation as a golfer's paradise but the hotel offers so much more than golf. The 850-acre estate epitomises the rugged natural beauty for which Scotland is famed and offers guests a glorious playground of country pursuits and activities. Whether you come to fly a Harris' Hawk, ride horses, play tennis, go off-roading, train gundogs, shoot game, fish, enjoy Michelin-starred dining, or relax in an award-winning spa, Gleneagles offers a world of unforgettable experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gleneagles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gleneagles Hotel Auchterarder
- Gleneagles Resort Auchterarder
- Gleneagles Hotel Scotland
- Gleneagles Auchterarder, Scotland