“Indulgent spa day”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had a wonderful day here for my daughters 21st birthday. Pool and spa wonderful! Staff and beauty therapists couldn't do enough to help. Special mention for Aleksandra who served us our healthy lunch . She was so lovely and put candle on and sang happy birthday. Would definitely recommend a day here to chill out ! Best spa I have been to , we were staying in the lodges so haven't rated hotel.

1  Thank Maisiegogs
Write a ReviewReviews (3,698)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I can't class myself as a regular visitor to Gleneagles. With 15 years between stays I'm not going to win many loyalty points. However some things in the hotel are still familiar. I'm pretty sure that some of the carpets were the same as when I last visited, with that familiar lived-in, slightly threadbare feel. There was definitely a feeling that parts of the hotel needed a bit of TLC - given the size of the place, this is no easy task.
You expect a bit of luxury when you stay at Gleneagles. Given the cost of a long weekend here, that is not an unreasonable expectation. There is a feeling of luxury in most of the public areas, but it tends to be a bit superficial, and to be honest the place is so busy that it has lost any pretence of being in any way exclusive.
Previously we had been impressed with our room, this time we were underwhelmed. For some reason we had been put in a family room, as there was and additional bunk bed in there. For a couple tyring to enjoy a weekend away from the kids this constant reminder that kids were part of our lives was not what we needed. It also took up space in the room, so that the space we were in felt cramped. When they sell types of room and describe it as Xm², you don't exepct a good proportion of this space to be effectively unavailable. It certainly was not like the 360° view on the website. We were also disappointed in the limited view there was from the window despite it being described as follows on the Gleneagles website: "The quintessential Gleneagles experience, the Estate rooms offer wonderful views over grounds, gardens and the wider Perthshire countryside. With king-sized beds, generous space and modern amenities, it's little wonder they are our most popular luxury rooms."
However, it was confortable, surprisingly quiet and the toiletries were good.
If the room disappointed, surely the food was excellent? Perhaps the years inbetween my Gleneagles stays have raised my expectations as to what luxury hotels should achieve. I have stayed in some excellent hotels in the Middle East which genuinely impress. Breakfast at Gleneagles did not genuinely impress. It was good, but could have been better. The cooked food was pretty standard fare, and they could definitely have improved on their range of offerings particularly fresh fruit. Again because the hotel is so busy and the dining area large, there is little to distinguish this from any other hotel. So just when we might have been happy to consign Gleneagles to the 'has-been' bin, they redeemed themselves with the Andrew Fairlie restaurant. Excellent food in a great environment!
Leisure? Can't really comment - didn't play golf there, although the courses looked fantastic and immaculate, and the leisure club was partially closed for refurbishment.
Would I go back? I think I might leave it another 15 years. I think there are more exclusive smaller places where couples can enjoy a more intimate luxury experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TopWomble
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I love this place and did not hesitate to take my two pups this year. After all this is gleneagles and everything is five star. Not so the dog kennels. No outside run for the guest dogs who are cooped up all day except for when the owner walks them or I believe a few minutes very early while their sleeping quarters are cleaned out. Dogs are left completely alone for long hours. I ended up having no real rest as I felt guilty at my dogs being so cooped up without company.. I walked them 90 minutes twice a day to make up for them having to poop in their sleeping quarters. Really really disappointed and cross. I did complain but did not get a response

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SamEHertford
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our kennels and I am sorry you felt your dogs were not looked after in a way fitting the rest of the resort. At the booking stage all dog owners are required to sign a detailed outline of the services provided. While dog walking can in exceptional cases be arranged, it is unfortunately not part of our service and remains the sole responsibility of the owner. Although we ask that guests refrain from walking their dogs past the birds of prey, there are extensive grounds available to allow dogs a good run. Thank you for allowing us to comment and our team will be delighted to assist with any future arrangements while doing their utmost to avoid misunderstandings.

With Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed overnight as a special treat for my parents wedding anniversary. My husband and I had a lovely room with our 21 month old toddler. However the cot was old, windows didnt open (it was very hot), glass table top was not secure, the heated towel rack could not be turned off, a bathrobe was dirty and the automatic lights in the wardrobe were irritating.

The Deseo med restaurant was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed this. The pool and spa facilites are amazing too.

Worst of all in our stay was the Sunday lunch we had in the Strathearn restaurant - my parents 40th wedding anniversary which was ruined by extremely poor service. My son did not get any food for over an hour by which point he was very upset and refused to sit in the highchair any longer (not unreasonable for a toddler). When his food did come it arrived on a hot plate which was dangerous and meant he was again unable to eat for another 10 minutes whilst it cooled. He dropped his dummy on the floor and when I retrieved it from under the table I found some broken glass (which I gave to a waiter). We had to pour our own water and wine as there was no service. We sat with our empty starter plates for over 15 minutes. We gave up on dessert as staff ignored us. It bascially ruined the whole reasoning behind our family travelling and paying to stay at Gleneagles.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan if warm weather
13  Thank JaiOm
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

At Gleneagles we strive to create exceptional experiences and it is immensely concerning to read how we failed to live up to our promise on this occasion. Thank you again for the opportunity we already had to discuss your concerns at the time, offer amends and also write to you under separate cover.

Although replacements are available 24h a day, there is no excuse for the poor quality of the cot you received or the mark on the bathrobe. By failing to provide you with a thorough explanation of the locking mechanism on the window as well as the control valve of the tower rail, our guest service team clearly missed an opportunity to ensure your expectations of the room were met.
The shortfall in service during your dinner is by no means a true reflection of the standards we stand for and I can only once again humbly apologise on behalf the team and management. Please do rest assured that the necessary steps have been taken to better serve you in the future.

On a more positive note it was lovely to read that both Deseo restaurant as well as our newly refurbished Club facilities are at least two aspects that will hopefully remain memorable for the only the right reason.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Room was lovely. Service in the restaurant was poor, on checking in we were told our meal booking was at a set time we had to persuade the receptionist to change this for a later meal time. Probably a mistake? we had to wait and wait and wait for our food, 40 minutes wait for our main course, the waiter did come once and apologise but he didn't seem very sorry. Hotel was very busy with parties going on, people everywhere, not a romantic special night away we had hoped for.
The newly renovated spa area looked great but already some parts of the facility were not working such as the outside jacuzzi.
And finally I did not expect to have to join a queue from one end of the magnificent entrance hall to the other to check-out. - unfortunate not what I would have expected from the luxury 5 star price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank son h
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review and I am sorry your stay did not live up to expectations.

Although we strongly encourage our guests to make table arrangements in advance, every effort is made to accommodate last minute changes as far as availability permits. I apologise if you felt the situation was handled poorly by our reception staff and more over for the longer than average wait for your main course.
The ongoing maintenance of our newly refurbished club facilities occasionally requires the temporary closure of an area. In the majority of cases this is simply to conduct checks and carry out cleaning works. Although our team attempts to proactively communicate this to guests, I am sorry you had been caught by surprise.
As the main reception tends to get very busy at certain times of week, many of our guests avail of our express check out option by simply authorising us to email a final statement to their attention.

It is our hope that we will nevertheless have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gleneagles so we can ensure your next stay is memorable for only the right reasons.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed as we do each year at the lodges on site, and one of our treats is to go to the Andrew Fairlie restaurant. The food is, and was again sublime.

We booked two tables, as friends were six in number and we were four.

On arrival, we were stopped at the door and asked to wait.I asked if there was a problem, and was told "yes".
Staff had allocated our table to another four who had arrived ahead of us.
We were then seated at another table for four - just opposite the door.
There was a cold wind in June whenever the door was opened, and this table is just proximate to the kitchen.
We asked to move, and that was accommodated.
Sadly, although the table at the glass lined doors remained empty all night - not to that table.
There were only seven tables being used all night.

We ordered white wine, and were not given the cork.
The wine itself was corked, and we would have spotted that if given the cork.
We also encourage your staff to check same. Another white came, and that was fine.

A bottle of red was brought to the table. One guest thought I had ordered, and I thought he had. A mix up.
It was for the table we were originally booked at and which had been given to someone else.

I went to the toilets - which are not in the restaurant, and was stopped imperiously by a raised hand on the way back. They were filming someone at the ball Room.
When I was permitted to walk back in, I advised the head of service.
He said "it is the hotel", we can do nothing.

So - all in - food divine. Service not so much.

The saving grace was our wine advisor. We took the wine flight (matched to each course).
I believe she is from Spain, and she was very friendly and a delight to have at the meal.

2  Thank AbuDhabiTraveller
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Was here with my wife and baby and had a great time. Staff were friendly and courteous, always welcome to help and assist. Gym facilities were good as was the breakfast. Bed was amazing, big and comfy. Overall, we had a great time and would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Farmboy2003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
Travelodge Kinross M90 Hotel
Grampian Hotel
Grampian Hotel
#14 of 18 in Perth

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!