“5 star from start to finish”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Airdrie
“5 star from start to finish”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a few occasions this year
Love the splendor and the elegance
Had tasting menu with wine at Andrew fairley ...amazing !!!!
Nothing at all to complain about other than it was only a one night stay hopefully we can do a two night stay and just enjoy the 5 star treatment a little longer

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We visited Gleneagles during a very very busy weekend in June as a couple. My husband was there to play golf and I the rest. We’ve been to Gleneagles previously only in a lodge, but never in the main hotel.

The drive to the hotel is impressive and the bellmen are very attentive and polite – just what you’d expect. The lobby doesn’t make a huge impression, in my opinion. Its nice, but stated and not opulent. The rooms were again nice, but nothing overly special. The room was a decent size for the UK with old fashioned windows and an old fashioned bathroom.

What I liked about the room – nice linens and closet/wardrobe, bottled water at turndown service, a nice table to get ready with decent lighting, coffee making facilities and good toiletries (Purple Water which some hotel chain also provides as I have some at home but can’t remember where from).

I had one major issue and that was the shower in the bathroom. We stayed on the 3rd floor (forget room number – sorry!) and the water pressure was barely a dribble. Even my husband with minimal hair had issue trying to get enough water at one time to wash. The hotel was completely full so there was no chance of moving so instead I had to shower in my sister-in-law’s room who was also on the 3rd floor but the side nearest the spa. Her shower worked a treat but it was a pain having to go over there to shower. If you get a room on the 3rd floor, I’d recommend you check the pressure before you unpack!

Everything else was grand. The service was GREAT. Even on a full weekend, the front desk attendant greeted me by name.

I had the absolute BEST blow dry and updo from Michelle in the hair salon. I went on two different evenings and both were perfect. I’m fortunate enough to get this service regularly so please believe me – go see Michelle if you want your hair done! She’s young but very talented.

I also visited the nail bar and spa and both were quite good. The spa had one of the nicest relaxation areas I’ve visited – very private and quiet (headphones if you’d like). The only issue I had with the spa was the communal steam/pool area (with men). Some may not mind, but I prefer female-only.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed my weekend at Gleneagles – the grounds were lovely. It is unfortunate that I’ve visited Cameron House previously as I kept comparing and have to say I prefer Cameron House though my husband said the golf was fantastic at Gleneagles.

Room Tip: Check water pressure in shower if on 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soshbfly
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Go regularly to Gleneagles usually to the Dormy House for coffee or lunch but decided on afternoon tea one visit recently. Didn't book but with a very short wait we were shown to a lovely table and had the most exquisite afternoon tea. We were asked for our choices of sandwich which was great as some I would not have eaten. Shared one afternoon tea between two and was more than sufficient. We didn't manage to finish it! Very decadent and definitely well worth the money and am hoping someone will take the hint and take me again for my birthday treat!

Stayed May 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at Gleneagles Hotel on 12th and 13th April 2014 and consider it to be one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. We like to think that even in the best hotels, we can usually identify some small detail or other that could be improved upon. Gleneagles had us stumped! It was perfect in every way. Firstly, the staff were all wonderful - pleasant and helpful without any obsequious bowing and scraping. Whether in Reception, the restaurants, the spa and pool, the golf clubhouse and elsewhere, they were all polite, proficient, efficient and easy to talk to. Managers do not often get much praise, but in my view, the achievement of such high standards in a staff complement of that size is a tribute to good management and an excellent training programme.

The facilities were all fabulous. Our room was brilliant and the housekeeping staff did a super job. There were no available tables in the Andrew Fairlie restaurant so we ate in the Strathearn restaurant instead and it was superb - as good as it gets! We also enjoyed a great meal in the Dormy Clubhouse.

In the leisure area, we particularly liked the separate quiet pool. We like children, but sometimes it is good to escape their noise and just chill out.

The golf facilities are the very best to be found anywhere, with three superb courses, a wonderful clubhouse and, again, staff of the highest quality in terms of their friendly, helpful manner and intelligent attention to detail. If only the Scottish weather could have been as kind to me as I battled my way round the PGA course with a new-found friend in a howling gale and driving rain. But it was still an experience I would not have missed for the world.

This hotel is just a pure delight to stay in. If we could find fault, we would have reported it here, but there was simply no fault to be found! Flawless!

Room Tip: In a hotel of this size, some rooms are bound to be a long way from the main lobby. Try for a room c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank egdels
New England
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This resort is truly a first class experience. I have visited many so called five star resorts but few have the facilities and service to match Gleneagles. The resort has Three terrific golf courses and a PGA teaching facility. Four excellent restaurants - two of which are exceptional (Andrew Farley has two Michelin stars and the Strathern is equal to the best fining dining anywhere. Deseo is a more casual dining option but the quality of food and service are excellent. There are numerous activities in addition to golf. We enjoyed Archery and Segway Riding which were both done very well. My wife enjoyed the Spa and the Salon. Many of the staff knew me by name even though I only stayed a few days. Everything is premium priced and a stay with Daily Golf, activities and fine dining can exceed $1000. a day per person but I left feeling I got my monies worth.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Perthshire, Scotland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was recently treated to afternoon tea at Gleneagles with some friends for a special occasion. It was just lovely. We were asked on arrival about any food allergies and they adjusted the selection of cakes & sandwiches accordingly. Each item is carefully described to you if you wish. We had requested a table at the bay window which we got. The atmosphere is understated luxury. The staff are very professional. I had afternoon tea there a couple of years ago and the way they serve it has changed a bit. Last time we were served each " course" separately. This time all the cakes and savouries arrived together on a cake stand. This did not detract from the overall experience which is just lovely. We stayed for quite a few hours and never felt rushed. An absolutely delightful way to spend a special afternoon. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FMMG
South Queensferry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I visited this year for my birthday and I'd have to say it really lives up to it's name and to our expectations. The staff were pleasant and courteous; the shops were great; the food was fantastic; the room had a great view, plenty of space, and was very comfortable (I'm 6'6" tall and I managed to have a bath which is a luxury for me!). We strolled around the grounds which were also excellent with plenty of things to do from off-roading, falconry and of course golf. Definitely would recommend to anyone - it's worth the money even to just come and experience this once.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the maze or looking towards the golf courses.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CraigS78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!