Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I took my mum in law for a two day break to Crieff Hydro to celebrate her forthcoming 80th birthday.
To be honest, we didnt get to see around the full resort, as she is a bit shaky on her feet, and having only two nights, there were limits to what we could do.
We stayed in an executive studio suite, I will add pics here of this suite location as it is difficult beforehand to figure out where it is in relation to the hotel main entrance. Suffice to say it is a pleasant short walk, with private car parking space for each suite.
We referred to our suite as our "wee hoose", as it is more of a "chalet" type room rather than a bedroom. This was ideal for mum and daughter in law.
The studio has a downstairs lounge, with basic but clean fittings, leading to steps to first landing with nicely fitted bathroom, leading to further steps to bedroom. We had our bed put into twin make up. This was not done for arrival, but one quick and very helpful phonecall instantly took care of this.
Reception - Excellent! I find many times, reception can be the downfall of hotels. Not the case at CH! Wonderful reception team, always smiling, of the best help possible, and keen to please on all occasions.
Mum likes elegance, so we opted on both evenings to dine in the Meikle restaurant. Assistant Maitre'de Stephanie, absolutely wonderful! Stephanie took care of us, providing gluten free breads for our simple but enjoyable "amouse bouche" and a pleasure to chat with. She appointed us a lovely table by the window, and a nice "Happy Birthday" decorated plate for my Mum in law. Little touches which made all the difference.
The food, whilst not Michelin standard, is good large hotel food. The rib eye steak was tender, and sauces made to our requirements. If there was not something on the menu we liked, Stephanie worked with us to ensure we had an excellent meal of our choice.
Midweek, off term, the hotel did not have many kids around, so for us it was the perfect time to go. I am sure familes love this hotel, but for adults only, I would choose outside school term for a romantic or peaceful break.
We enjoyed martinis and cocktails in the meikle bar, yes, a pianist would be nice, but the auto play feature of the baby grand does at least provide ambience which was much appreciated.
On day two, we had a morning stroll round Crieff buying the usual tourist stuff, and enjoying the nice little town. Loved the sweetie shop!
We had lunch in the Brasserie which was very nice, and were able to enjoy some afternoon sunshine with a glass of wine outside on the terrace.
Hair do's in the salon set us ready for another evening of food and cocktails in the Meikle restaurant before retiring to our "wee hoose" for late night irish coffees and cheese plates.
This is definitely a hotel I will return to with my husband. Probably next time I would be looking for a 5 star lodge to bring with us our dogs. As I say, this was just a "wee taster", but first impressions were excellent.
The staff are by far some of the best I have seen in Scotland. I am often disappointed by staff in our own country, this is by far an example of how staff should be! Right down to check out, when management and reception offered to show us around other suites etc, we felt they did their utmost, to ensure our comfort.
Breakfast was better than we expected. Good buffet selection, most of all I appreciated the availability of gluten free bread - a basic staple and yet one many hotels have yet to offer.
We spent around £360 in our two days, but that included our hair do's and also two luxury robes which we inititally thought at £40 a piece was a bit expensive, however, on seeing the robes we were delighted as they are excellent quality which i am sure we will both enjoy for years to come.
Good job Crieff Hydro!
Negatives? Only one, temperature in piano bar on 2nd evening was VERY chilly, the air con was set at 20 degrees, thats cool air! I had a shawl wrapped around me, and the one member of staff who served us that night was not particularly helpful. I told her we were going back to the room due to temperature, she did then "relunctantly" offer to turn it up..but it was too late. She also said when we asked for irish coffees and cheese to be sent to the room "We dont do that you need to go to the Brasserie". We told her "yes you do".. (as per the night before!). I kind of got the impression the cool air and lack of service was for her benefit and not the guests. She was the one member of staff alone, whom we found to be lacking in the customer service department. If she reads this, she will know who she is, sorry, dont mean to get personal, but.. not up to the cut of her colleagues! Perhaps new to the job??
Overall though, a small gripe in what was a perfect short break and made a lady very very happy! Thank you all at Crieff Hydro!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
CrieffHydro, Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Thank you Sunscot for a fantastic review! All the team are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us finding our studio suites, dining options and staff members to be highlights. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,000)

Reviewed 14 September 2011

I want to start out by saying that I am massively disappointed - I came away from the hotel thinking that I would go back again (even though the food was bad) but 2 weeks later and I wouldn't go again if I was paid!
The accommodation was great - we had an Executive Studio outside of the main hotel. Plenty of space for us and our 2 year old twins (and their travel cots). I did worry a bit about the windows in the bedroom as they didn't have security locks on them and therefore were easy to open but I just made sure that the girls weren't up there on their own.
Most of the staff were lovely and all very helpful.
Kids club was amazing and the girls were loving it by the end of the 3 days. I didn't have any worries about leaving them in there at all - many thanks to everyone at Big Country.
The food for the kids was great and they ate really well. The breakfasts and lunches were good but evening meals were not great and totally overpriced. If we hadn't been on a rate which was inclusive of food then I would have been furious as the prices were higher than you would ever pay eating somewhere in Edinburgh. On the second night we ate in the more formal restaurant. I ordered the Thai Spiced Fish Cakes to start - these were supposed to come with a spicy chilli jam. They arrived without the jam and there was not a whiff of Thai spices about the fish cakes. When I asked for the jam I was actually brought what I was told was spiced fruit jam but it was just strawberry. I send them back and had something else. Even my husband had to send back his starter and he will usually eat anything. The homemade tiramisu was bad – should have known not to order it when it was described as ‘our own take’ - usually my favourite pudding but I just left it. Most of the food was over cooked and you could tell it was mass produced and cooked in advanced as they were feeding large numbers. This was not expected.
My main concern is that after leaving the hotel on the Thursday I realised that I had left my watch and Links of London bracelet in the room. I had expected a phone call to say that they had found them but nothing, so, a few days later I called them. I was told that they weren't aware of anything that had been found but they would call back. A day later I was called back and was told that they had found my bracelet but not my watch! I was shocked as these are always placed down together and if they had found one then where was the other? I asked for a manager to call me back which he did - Martin Bell - his lack of concern was really quite disgusting. He told me that they don’t call people when they find things in their rooms as the contact details they have on file (which I gave them when I booked 2 weeks prior to the stay) aren’t always the right ones? So ask when you call the person Martin – not hard? He suggested calling the police which I am going to do so I can claim on my travel insurance. I am not accusing anyone of anything! The watch has gone and as far as I am concerned it could have been caught up with the laundry when the beds were changed but according to Martin Bell there is absolutely no way that could have happened. I feel that there is a total lack of customer service at the top end of this organisation and they need to address this.
I have also been asked for the money for postage which I will happily send – they won’t send my property without this – NICE!
I would suggest to people that there are some very good things about this set up but it is very expensive and don't expect a decent meal. Also don't take any valuables with you as if you are distracted by kids when packing to leave and forget something then the fairies might take it. I am sure that there are other hotels around with similar facilities and next time we have a staycation then we will try one of them.
Great customer service Crieff Hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma U

What a terrible review Emma U. The team involved have reviewed your feedback and are devastated by the awful rating you have given us. I’m sorry you felt you got the runaround when you called about your lost property - we should have done better and I understand that our Housekeeping Manager has now been in touch directly to rectify this for you. Other readers may be interested to know that we get over 5,000 items left behind every year and manage to reunite over 90% of items with their owners. There are many explanations for why lost property is sometimes never found (as in all cases we’re doing our best to investigate).

Reviewed 13 September 2011

The hotel seems to be employing a number of "trainee" personel who answer fairly simple queries with "I don't know" rather than "Let me find out."
The towels in the bathroom were minimalist and they didn't match.
Breakfast, which was included in the room price was a disappointment. When we entered the breakfast area there were no signs to say, "Please Wait to be Seated." Nor was there anyone staffing the entrance to seat people. We asked a staff person where we should sit and she replied, "I think in there - I don't know." Once we picked out a place to stay we noticed that the reception staff were back on duty and seating people. We asked two different wait staff if we could have some coffee and they both disappeared without returning with it. Finally, a wait staff person was passing by with a pot of coffee and we managed to get some. Breakfast is buffet style, which is fine, but it was only after finishing our meals that another wait staff person came by and asked if we would like toast with our breakfast.
We are not overly picky people and we are never rude to the front line staff. From the moment we entered this establishment to the moment we left, the impression was made that there is a profound lack of communication in place. All in all, no service equals poor service. We will not go back and we would not recommend Crieff Hydro unless you enjoy being treated with indifference.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottishDoctor186534
CrieffHydro, Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

What an awful review ScottishDoctor186534! The whole team are sorry to hear your feedback about staff service when staying with us. Things do wrong – and they have done for you – but that doesn’t mean we don’t care and definitely doesn’t mean that great service isn’t top of the list for us. It would also be appreciated if you could get in touch with us directly as it is a worry for us that the points you mentioned weren’t picked up on while you were here. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have stayed with Crieff Hydro twice in the past year. Each time we have been extremely dissapointed in the experience. In January 2011 we stayed in a chalet at Culcrieff, first impressions were a clean, beautiful place for my husband, toddler and myself to stay, after our first night i opened the curtains to reveal faeces behind the curtains, we immediatley rang reception to enquire what could be done, we were assured house keeping would be in to "deep clean" the area. After 4 hours we returned to our chalet to find part of the faeces gone but still alot left behind a curtain, the main area had not even been hoovered. I hate to think what would have happened if my toddler had got to it before i had! We rang house keeping to ask someone to return and clean the area, not long after housekeeping knocked on the door only to tell us they had definatley cleaned the area and it was all gone when i showed them this was not true there was no apology she just brought in a hoover and went over it. The fact this had even happened in the first place was a disgrace. We then recieved a call from Housekeeping (I think it was a manager) sincerely apologising which was appriciated! We have just returned from our second stay in a different chalet, when i spoke with a member of staff on the phone i was told it was a double bed and two singles, when we arrived it obviously was two singles and bunk beds. I rang reception who passed me over to self catering here i was simply told "sorry all the chalets have two singles and a bunk bed" no offer of help or asking if we wished to change etc. We returned to reception to speak with someone, the Duty Manager came to see us and i must say his customer service was really good. He offered us a Spa voucher (which sadly due to being pregnant i am unable to use). My online reciept says "Room Type:2 bedroom Chalet Sleeps 6" and your online description says "And what about your chalet itself? They've all got two bedrooms - with room for five or six in total, thanks to a comfy sofa bed in the living room. Self-catering accommodation in the heart of Scotland - or Crieff Hydro for short" I'm unsure where i would have got the information that no double bed was supplied?

The chalet itself left alot to be desired! The carpet needed hoovered twice upon arrival due to dog/animal hairs, the hoover absolutley stank of wet dog whenever used, there were cobwebs everywhere, dog hairs in the "clean" beds and cracked sharp tiles in the kitchen (not ideal with a toddler running around!!). I think if you are going to allow dogs/animals in the chalets the staff must be given better equipment and more time to ensure the chalet is hygienic before the next holiday makers check in. The facilities at Crieff Hydro are fantastic and the food is faultless, the majority of the staff we came in contact with were brilliant and very helpful .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank XtineC777

What an awful review XtineC777. We are really sorry to read about the way you feel about your recent visit as we aim to provide great service and facilities to all of guests. For others reading this, we do have 3* chalets as well as 5* lodges onsite but of course some of the things that XtineC777 describes are not standards that we accept, whatever the star rating and therefore we will be following up on all comments received.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed for 3 nights at Crieff in August we visit on average 3 times a year and have done for the past 10 years.
Its becoming increasingly difficult to book a bargain with the Hotel. I think the sales pokicy may have changes as you could in the past "negotiate a deal" not so now and we ended up booking through BOOKING.COM as crieff only had executive rooms left - no mention of an upgrade when I called them.
The room we got no 264 if I remember was really nice - it was a standard room and we had stayed in it a couple of years ago when it was deemed an executive - so it was really good.
We are in the brasserie on the first night, but it was really too noisy and busy. Seems strange but Crieff really accomodates children with the play ares and early dinners, however many parents still prefer to book later with babies or small children. And the later they book the more fed up an tired the Kids are - its a shame that Parents adopt this stance - especially when the Hydro does its best to accomodate their needs.
The food at the brasserie was very nice - we both had fillet steak - as always - its expensive but really good and compared to the menu its worth it.
On the nest two evenings we ate upstairs and were very pleasantly surprised as the food was good - much better than previous visits, and better value for money than the Brasserie. It was also a lot calmer.
Crieff goes from strength to strength every year and is a great place for Family holidays or for couples. The piano bar is really nice to relax in and its also great if there is a celidh on (quite often)
Arguably the best place in Scotland for a Hotel Family holiday, especially with the range of amenities and activities on offer.
Can get busy at breakfast - so get in early or lie in late !! If you arrive at the wrong time its like rush hour traffic.
Be nice if the Hotel offered also a seperate an alternative Breakfast in addition to the buffet - waitress service breakfast in a more calmer enviroment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Seven friends from all over Scotland met here for a girly weekend and we decided to book the studios which are just to the left of the hotel. They were a great size and you have your own parking space which is a bonus.
On the first night we ate in the Meikle restaurant which was lovely, no complaints. Second night in the brasserie which although more relaxed we all agreed was a better meal.
Even though the rain was coming down in sheets we still found plenty to do, even managed a walk and some of the girls spent time in the Victorian Spa.
If you want to get away from kids this is the wrong place as there are families and children everywhere but it didnt bother us at all.
Think we all decided we would go back!

Room Tip: The studio has a living area, then a bathroom upstairs and up again to a large bedroom, really spaci...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Thanks Lorripie! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your girls weekend away at the Hydro finding that the accommoadtion, restaurant dining and relaxing spa added to your stay. We look forward to welcoming you all back again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

This hotel offers everything for the indoor and outdoor person. It's on a very large estate and you may have to be prepared to walk a bit.
Dinner and breakfast in the Meikle Restaurant was a treat, only disappointment was that the menu on Friday was repeated on Sunday. They could have been a little more adventurous, especially for those staying 4 nights.
Staff were excellent, very kind and helpful and cheerful with it. Bedroom was very comfortable, with good tea and coffee facilities.
We had not been for 20 years. Huge changes had taken place, only drawback was getting peace and quiet in the evenings, especially Saturday night. . All the kids seemed to be up so late, even the smallest toddlers. The babysitting service was with drawn and kids were allowed in the dining room, but they were generally quiet and a romantic evening could still be had. But it was a great place for families. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donaldwynd

Thanks donaldwynd for a great review! It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed dining in our Meikle Restaurant and found the service offered by our staff to be of a high quality. It is also great to hear that you are already thinking of returning , we look forward to welcoming back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
#1 of 3 in Auchterarder

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!