4,363 results
All reviewsmeikle restaurantvictorian spawinter gardenkids clubself cateringchild carefamily hotelsoft playquad bikingexecutive roomoutdoor activitiesfamily breakbunk bedsbouncy castlecrazy golfthe main hotelparty night
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Had a 3 night stay with two other couples and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel its restaurants its leisure facilities. The staff could not be more helpful.The Segways are a new experience and the young lad who gave instruction was excellent with his patience and clear instructions. Surrounding area with lovely walks and scenery.

So good the we have booked a self catering chalet for the spring and holding a get-together of the family so that we can share the experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug66s
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Hi Doug 66s, What a lovely review and it's great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities inside and out. We are certainly lucky to be in a such gorgeous location and there are few better ways to explore than zooming around on a Segway!

We're delighted you've already re-booked to come back. A true endorsement that a great time was had by all. See you again soon

Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed for a weekend recently with our daughter, her partner and our 11 year old (about to be 12) grandson. We had booked on a DB&B basis and although we enjoyed the break, we were disappointed on a number of accounts.

On the first night we had to eat in the Meikle Restaurant as we could not get a table in the Brasserie until 8.30. It was fairly chaotic with many of the staff lacking the level of English to make for easy communication when there was a problem. It took 3 attempts to get the wine we ordered, and when my husband's chair broke he was left standing while they found him another! In contrast to the Brasserie, there was little evidence of anyone being in charge.

We were told that our grandson was entitled to only £4.50 towards a child's meal and I feel this policy needs to be reviewed. £4.50 may provide a meal sufficient for a very young child but it is totally inadequate for an 11-12 year old who eats the same as his parents at home. I really would not expect to have to add further cost to an already expensive weekend. The adult food when it came was very good. The child's meal was a disgusting soggy pizza and chips, resulting in us sharing our meals with him. Really not good enough.

I know the Hydro well (I am originally from Crieff) and many of the changes have been very positive. The staff were all polite and helpful and the setting is magnificent. However we paid
a lot of money for a special weekend and were left feeling disappointed.

My final irritation is that on returning home I wrote to the Front of House Manager (as advised by a member of staff) and in almost a month I have had no reply!! This is frankly not good enough.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Hi there Mo D, firstly, we're really sorry for the lack of response to your letter. This isn't our standard at all and I've been trying to find it so I can respond to you directly. To explain, 2-11 year olds staying with us get breakfast, packed lunch and children's high tea or a £4.60 dinner allocation if instead they eat in the restaurant in the evening. 12-15 year olds are entitled to the full dinner allocation of £21.50. I hope you will get in touch with me directly so we can take a look at your booking history and address this properly

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Nice rooms, good food, happy atmosphere. Plenty of space!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mercedesmadman

Thank you for your short but sweet review Mercedesmadman, I do hope we'll get to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I stayed one night in Crieff Hydro in August to celebrate our anniversary. When I looked on line I liked the look of the top room, the "Presidential Suite". They have a very good online availability and booking service which lets you see what is available when and at what rates. Mid week deals seem pretty good. The B&B rate was £190 for the Thursday night, but for another £20 we could both have dinner from the table d'hote/ fixed price menu which is £21 per head!

I looked at their video run through of the suite and decided that it looked good enough to book. Couldn't get into room until three, so arrived at five. What we should have done was gone up in the morning and used the facilities, had lunch etc and gone straight into the room at 3pm ;)

Had a pleasant drink in the bar and a very enjoyable meal in the table d'hote restaurant. Plenty of choice and good service, considering it was full. Can't remember what I had but I had no complaints. If we had chosen to go to the a la carte restaurant we would have had our £21 per head credited to us, which seemed a very flexible idea.

Loved wandering round the hotel, which is still sufficiently grand and old fashioned in places. This is one of the few places where they haven't built a huge modern wing out the back full of boxy little modern rooms -it is so big they never had to. I'm not a fan of the modern metal roofed swimming pool and gymn/ sportshall buildings attached to either side, but I suppose they're useful if it's raining outside.

The suite was very nice -there are actually two of them side by side. They must be recent innovations as the bathrooms were lovely and modern -very spacious with state of the art fittings and a big whirlpool bath, which we never got the chance to use. The fact that there is a large sitting room which includes a dining table makes it a suite. Not sure if it's of "presidential" standard -I don't see Obama staying there! Quite nice to lounge around in and watch telly from sofas rather than the bed and could have had a meal at the table if wanted.

Next day after we checked out we were able to use the facilities and decided to pay £10 per head and use the Victorian Spa, which is adults only and a sort of quiet room. It's the original old 20 metre pool area, modernised and with sauna and steam rooms, pool side showers and tea/coffee, soft drinks, fruit and newspapers on hand. We lazed about there for a couple of hours and had a nap on the sunloungers.

Pleasant sunny walk into Crieff where we had a relaxing lunch then back to the car and away. I'd go back next week if i could.

Room Tip: Use their online availability guide to check their deals, especially mid week.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Happy Anniversary! What great comments about your stay. It sounds as if you were both very comfy in your suite and I'm glad our restaurants and facilities didn't disappoint, particularly given the special occasion. We're so pleased when couples tell us how much they enjoy all we offer here because Crieff Hydro isn't just for families with children. Haste ye back Slippery-Jim!

Reviewed 20 November 2011

We are a family of three and opted to come here as we had heard good things about this hotel from parents of other toddlers, owing to the amount of stuff they can get up to and not least because of the 'Big Country' babysitting service. Arrived about 12pm but room wasn't ready until 2pm which was actual check-in time (thought we might've been lucky as off-peak time but we could see the hotel was still pretty busy). Not a problem though, had a wee explore in their massive grounds and our daughter had her first (of three) pony rides. Upon receiving the keys, we were very pleased with our room- it was on the third floor, two bedrooms coming off a hall which lead to the bathroom. Had been concerned that as we had booked interconnecting rooms, both rooms would have an external door, luckily this was not the case.
We had DBB and the meals were fine. Breakfast was usual hotel buffet affair, hot and cold; dinner we had in the Brasserie both nights. Used the Clubhouse for lunch one day, but don't rate this at all. Included in the price is a packed lunch for kids but we didn't discover this until the second day after seeing other kids with them- wasn't mentioned/advertised at their cafes, which was annoying as we could have done with a plain sandwich rather than a fancy, deli-inspired one on the first day. Big gripe, though is the fact that you can't have dinner together before 6pm (except the clubhouse, where the food is greasy and the service is slow). Not a problem for most parents, I guess, but a lot of toddlers do eat earlier and by 6pm my little one is getting a little cranky. Other option is to have a buffet style menu for children and then dinner for the grown-ups after 6pm- however, as this was a family holiday we wanted to eat together- and little one would still have been cranky after 6pm.
Staying for two nights, we had loads of fun with or three year old- pony rides, swimming, pod quads, Big Country and just exploring the woods in our wellies...despite the food, already discussing what we will do next time!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Hi there Yungstur and thanks for your review with feedback about children's meal times. Many guests feed their little ones early from the children's high tea buffet (between 4.30 and 6pm) and still bring them along in the evening. We will (and do) make changes based on guest feedback so we'll be listening for whether this becomes a general feeling among young families. Your comments about the Clubhouse food are worrying and standards definitely slipped while you were here. I've already taken remedial action as we can - and must - do much better than this. Thanks for letting me know and naturally, we're very pleased that you've not been put off coming back