“friendly, fun, family time”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I and 20 members of my family came to this wonderful, friendly hotel,at the last minute as sadly our Dad passed away in the local hospital.However I found this hotel FABULOUS as it cared for all our needs and we all had a great time,despite our sorrow. .....there was something for every age...form the oldest ,my Mum who came to the private Sunday lunch ...to the youngest at one who swam each day ......the children were the quickest at finding there way around...but soon the pool,cinema and food places were easily known and we could let the 8 and 12 year olds have keys and go exploring safely !.....there was a ceiladh on the Saturday night...great fun ....we regularly met in one of the restaurants going from a party of 4 to 6 to 15 or so in minutes and were always accommodated.... we hired function rooms , the HIGHLANDER and DRUMMOND ROOMS were excellent .....
the bedrooms were clean and comfortable ,sadly i didn't get to stay in mine < as at family home.....yet my 2 sons found that having room service ,and put the tab on their uncles' bills was great ..and getting the room cleaned each day ...DON'T get used to this boys !!!!1
All the staff were friendly and polite and i loved chatting to various staff from around the world ....I would tottaly recommend this for families ,singles and couples xx

Room Tip: Room 14 and 16, family and twin rooms, first floor, excellent for convenience, accessibility quietne...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Elliem123, I think this is possibly the nicest review we've ever received. Your experience truly captures all that we try to be. If we have, even in a small way, helped make a potentially difficult period a little bit easier for you and your family, then we have achieved something special. With love and best wishes for the New Year to you all.

There are newer reviews for Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort

Reviewed 4 December 2011

My friends and I booked for a two night all inclusive spa/pamper break. The hotel was lovely, the room very nice and the staff also really nice. The pamper package was a good deal, but hadn't really been communicated to any of the staff we dealt with i.e. restaurant staff didn't know what we meant when we explained our food was included. The treatments were lovely and Jenni was a great therapist, explaining all products clearly etc. My one niggle was the lack of "package" feeling about our stay. I had expected to be in a robe and having treatments, swims in spa pool and lunch, not having to get dressed and undressed quite a few times. However, it was still all lovely and I can see how the hotel would be fantastic for a family break. Next time we might bring husbands and children as there seems to be something for everyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Heidi2000, thanks for your valuable feedback following your recent stay on our pamper package. I am glad you had a great time overall however, it sounds as if we could have communicated better internally as to how this package worked. What you've said will certainly assist us in improving how we do things. Thanks for your kind comments about Jenni, she is delighted to have helped make your stay special. We are very happy to see you would consider coming back for a family break.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

My partner and I stayed overnight at the Hydro after booking an itison deal. Fantastic D,B&B deal. Room was great. No complaints there. Clean and modern.

Minor issue was the section of the hotel was not serviced by a lift. It was a bit of a walk and a pest.

The hotel is tired in places but then it is a Victorian hydro. It's no issue.

Died thoroughly enjoy both dinner and breakfast. Excellent service and food was good. Supplements were pricey but it was ok as the deal was good.

I'll be back and would recommend to all. I did not try the activities but did see they were expensive. Also looked really good for kids.

As an aside the spa was great and worth a try

• Stayed: November 2011

Hi Colinno5, thank you for your recent review. We're so glad to read you got a great deal and that your room and overall impression of the hotel was so positive. We continue to invest heavily in refurbishing and updating this big Victorian building! We've over 60 onsite activities, many of which are free and I hope you got an opportunity to take advantage of some of what we offer here. Good to read you will be back someday and thanks again for your great feedback

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We are just back from a 4 night midweek break in a self catering cottage and we can't wait to book up again.
We were in a 2 bedroom cottage which was very spacious with massive ensuites in both bedrooms. The living area was really well fitted out and the views (even through the rain) were stunning.
We arrived at 2pm thinking that was check in time however when we discovered it was actually 4pm check in we headed to the Winter Gardens to relax with a cup of tea and a cake, which was a lovely start to the break. Like other reviewers, on our next trip to the Hydro, we will head up first thing and make use of the facilities before checking in.
My 3 year old daughter loved the Big Country. She really enjoyed the activities and was always asking when she could go back in.
We also had my elderly uncle coming up on our last night and he was booked into the Hotel as a treat for his 80th Birthday. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful, sorting out a single room with a walk in shower and even taking the room decorations we'd bought and decorating the room for us. It also was really nice to see familiar faces on the reception desk each day, and I really feel they should be commended for providing such a friendly personal service especially in such a big Hotel.
Regarding food, we ate in the brassiere for lunch one day which was really tasty and good value with 2 courses for £10 and the staff were very friendly and attentive. We also had dinner in the club house on our first night which is really handy for the Culcrieff cottages. It had a really nice relaxed feel to it. As we were there off season during the week, there was only one member of staff who took the orders and then cooked and served the food but that helped create a nice personal atmosphere and the food was again tasty and good value for money. On our last night to celebrate my uncles birthday we ate in the Meikle Restaurant. We had spoken to the chef in advance to request a simple menu for my uncle who is a very fussy eater. The chef couldn't have been more helpful, phoning us to discuss what was on the menu then offering to make my uncle's favourite foods for all 3 courses - it really made my uncle's night - especially the baked alaska! This was really appreciated especially since the restaurant was very busy that night.
The combination of the stunning accommodation and really helpful, friendly staff meant we had a lovely break and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank miss_mel113
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Hi Miss_mel113. It sounds like you had such a good time and its great for us to get your feedback. I'm so glad the self catering cottage was perfect for your needs and that our team here helped make your stay so enjoyable. It sounds like your uncle had a super birthday and we're delighted. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was our first visit to the Crieff Hydro and will be returning for sure.

Our check in was great, greeted with lovely members of staff. Our room was 372 located on the 3rd floor, took our time to find it due to the size of the building but great to explore and was worth it when we found it. Small but very cosy, modern, clean, big bed and excellent view. Randomly no tea bags but plenty of coffee!! Not exactly something to complain about too much but some reviewers would!!!

The bathroom was of a very high standard. Quite a deep bath which was nice to relax in.

Although the weather was rotten during our stay there was plenty to do indoors. We used the Victoria Spa which was second to none; adult only with free refreshments. Very relaxing indeed. Snooker room was good too. The cinema also included within the price which was an added bonus.

We ate in the Meikle restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was very formal however the food was very nice, although small, the three course did fill us up. Tablet with the coffee was nice. Breakfast was an all you can eat buffet - why have it any other way!? Yet again, brilliant with an endless choice.

Great consistent service throughout our stay. I read on this someone compared the lobby as cheap ikea style. Why nip pick something like that!? Fair enough if that is where you are going to sleep!! Frankly it is decorated to a high modern standard. Creates a fantastic impression.

To some this review up I'm a fussy open minded person and still can't fault the place. Highly recommend for all and any age.

• Stayed: November 2011

Hi Grahamfind, It certainly sounds like you made most of your short stay with us and found plenty to do inside despite the November rain! Thanks for your great comments about our service and in particular our friendly reception team, they all read Trip Advisor and will be chuffed to get a mention. Thanks for taking the time to review us and we hope you'll be back again soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Had a 3 night stay with two other couples and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel its restaurants its leisure facilities. The staff could not be more helpful.The Segways are a new experience and the young lad who gave instruction was excellent with his patience and clear instructions. Surrounding area with lovely walks and scenery.

So good the we have booked a self catering chalet for the spring and holding a get-together of the family so that we can share the experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug66s

Hi Doug 66s, What a lovely review and it's great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities inside and out. We are certainly lucky to be in a such gorgeous location and there are few better ways to explore than zooming around on a Segway!

We're delighted you've already re-booked to come back. A true endorsement that a great time was had by all. See you again soon

Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed for a weekend recently with our daughter, her partner and our 11 year old (about to be 12) grandson. We had booked on a DB&B basis and although we enjoyed the break, we were disappointed on a number of accounts.

On the first night we had to eat in the Meikle Restaurant as we could not get a table in the Brasserie until 8.30. It was fairly chaotic with many of the staff lacking the level of English to make for easy communication when there was a problem. It took 3 attempts to get the wine we ordered, and when my husband's chair broke he was left standing while they found him another! In contrast to the Brasserie, there was little evidence of anyone being in charge.

We were told that our grandson was entitled to only £4.50 towards a child's meal and I feel this policy needs to be reviewed. £4.50 may provide a meal sufficient for a very young child but it is totally inadequate for an 11-12 year old who eats the same as his parents at home. I really would not expect to have to add further cost to an already expensive weekend. The adult food when it came was very good. The child's meal was a disgusting soggy pizza and chips, resulting in us sharing our meals with him. Really not good enough.

I know the Hydro well (I am originally from Crieff) and many of the changes have been very positive. The staff were all polite and helpful and the setting is magnificent. However we paid
a lot of money for a special weekend and were left feeling disappointed.

My final irritation is that on returning home I wrote to the Front of House Manager (as advised by a member of staff) and in almost a month I have had no reply!! This is frankly not good enough.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Hi there Mo D, firstly, we're really sorry for the lack of response to your letter. This isn't our standard at all and I've been trying to find it so I can respond to you directly. To explain, 2-11 year olds staying with us get breakfast, packed lunch and children's high tea or a £4.60 dinner allocation if instead they eat in the restaurant in the evening. 12-15 year olds are entitled to the full dinner allocation of £21.50. I hope you will get in touch with me directly so we can take a look at your booking history and address this properly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Atholl Palace Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!