“Good Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Scotland
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Rooms were amazing - facilities top-notch. Only thing that let it down was the housekeeping. We stayed for 2 nights but they didn't replace our coffee, biscuits or soap when they made up our room.

Room Tip: Go for the front. It's worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
We’re delighted that you loved your room and our facilities bc_webster and only wish we’d known about the unreplenished bedroom items at the time. Here’s hoping that you’ll be back soon, when we’ll make sure that everything’s absolutely perfect for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I booked an executive family room for a family of 4 as a birthday treat for my husband. Our room was fine although a bit cramped for 4. We arrived at 4 pm and were offered a pack lunch for the children which considering they were having high tea an hour later seemed strange. perhaps this could have been offered for the next day. We booked the children into the kids club so we could have a lovely dinner in peace at the meikle restaurant. They had a fantastic time and I can not praise the staff and facilities enough. Our dinner however was dreadful. I had asked if the prawn starter was hot or cold and was assured was hot. It wasn't. My husbands pork terrine was bland and tasteless and covered in piccalilli which is not to everyone's taste. our starters arrived 2 minutes after ordering which gives the impression they had been hanging around the kitchen. Our main courses again arrived 2 minutes after our starters had been cleared. We both had ordered the lamb from quite a limited menu. This arrived grey and looked like it had been cooked hours earlier. The cabbage accompaniment was grey and sour, the jus tasted straight from a tin. We complained and were assured all was fresh. We were not convinced. Whilst appreciating the huge numbers you are feeding this could have been a lot better. We felt cattle herded through dinner. The waiting staff had poor product knowledge and did not know the name of the head chef - we were given 2 different names. I had prepaid for dinner and definately felt short changed. I mentioned all this at checking out and got "oh". What a shame as everything else was good.

• Stayed June 2012
Oh dear, oh dear Nessynessy ..... we got all excited when we read your review title, as we always love to see the word ‘fantastic’ when describing Crieff Hydro. What a shame that dinner let the side down. We’d like to talk to you about this in more detail, if you’d care to get in touch. It’s important to us that you feel we’ve taken appropriate action to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Hope to hear from you soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Just back from a fab break for my sons 6th birthday. We stayed in studio 81 which was lovely, spacious and clean. My son went to the kids club and loved it a big thank you to the wonderful staff there. The pool is great as are all the facilities if only we could have stayed longer. I found all the staff very friendly and helpful, nothing is a problem. We had lovely meals in both restaurants, my son was so happy when the waiters sang happy birthday to him when they brought his cake. Cant recommend this hotel enough. and we will def be back. It is a great place for all ages surrounded by beautiful gardens and countryside.

Room Tip: studios great, spacious and quiet plus your own parking space. Number 81 is and end one next to play...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
We loved everything about your review kimB282 – thank you so much. It sounds as ‘though you all had a fantastic time celebrating your son’s 6th Birthday at the Hydro. Please come back to see us again really soon!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights in an Executive Suite. We paid for the advanced purchase rate including dinner & breakfast, costing a total of £279 and found it to be worth the money. Because it was an Executive room it was spacious and had wonderful views with nice touches such as "The White Company" toiletries in the bathroom, the mineral water and jar of Mrs. Bridges fruit marbles on the dressing table. The only downside to our stay was the dinner menu on the first (Thursday) night. We didn't really feel that we were well catered for as we struggled to find food that we liked. It was quite a formal menu for a supposedly informal restaurant (The Brasserie). The £21.50 meal allowance was enough for us to have 2 courses but I would say some of the things are overpriced. Drinks were extra and we paid for these when we checked out at the end of our stay.
There are loads of things to do at the Hydro, we played Crazy Golf which, for only a couple of £ each was a fun hour to spend. The course is quite amusing and is themed with Scottish attractions. We also played disk golf which again was only a few £ each and was good fun, especially trying to locate the next target!
The scenery is stunning and we went on a couple of walks, one up 'The Knock', which is hard-going as it is a constant incline but is well worth the effort for the views at the top.
One point well worth a mention is the Victorian Spa. We went here twice, buying 'Twilight Passes' which were £7 each, well worth the money, and you get a free goody bag with lovely spa products (the value of which is probably in excess of the £7). You also get free water, tea, cordials and towels are provided. The showers also have lovely shampoos and conditioners which left my hair soft and shiny :)
The only other downside that I can think to mention would be the TV in the rooms. As we had an Executive room we expected more than just the basic 1-5 channels and while we were watching TV, someone who appeared to have Sky channels kept interrupting our signal.

Overall I would definitely return to Crieff Hydro but I would recommend a minimum of 3 nights to fully explore the hotel grounds.
Will upload some photos soon!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your really detailed review Californiasoul. We’re basking in the warmth of all your complimentary remarks and puzzling over the best way to adjust the Meikle Restaurant Menu and TV’s to make everything perfect. It’s brilliant to hear that you plan to stay for longer next time to enjoy even more of our many activities and we hope to welcome you back before long.
Mogale city
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed in self catering in winter with 2 adults and 2 kids. Everyone had a blast! Everything worked as advertised, nothing was too much trouble to arranged. The best holidays always feel too short. This was one of them. I need to return to ride more of the bike trails.

• Stayed April 2012
Your review from last winter was definitely worth the wait Bruce_Barker! Here’s hoping we can tempt you back to the Hydro for some summer fun. With over 40 activities, there’s more than just the bike trails to keep you busy ...... with no snow or ice to hold you back.
Aberdeen
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This was a trip to celebrate my birthday and the end of my daughters exams. I had upgraded our room and it was fabulous! It was huge, had a great bed and was spotlessly clean. My only critism was that there was no air con and it was rather hot. We had to sleep with all the windows open, but hey Its Scotland. We had lunch and cocktails at the Brasserie, very nice and not too expensive I guess. Sitting in the warm sunshine and watched young and old playing mini tennis, giant chess and giant connect4. I called reception to request an ice bucket and champagne flutes, after almost an hour I had to call them again. This time it came very quickly but I was not impressed that it took two calls. We ate our evening meal in the Meikle Restaurant. Though it is a large room it was still cosy with ambience. My daughter needs a strict gluten free diet, and the menu indicated all the options which is great. Our meal was lovely although it took the waiter 3 attempts to bring me the right dessert - this was more entertaining than annoying. And when I did receive the Lemon Meringue Tart it wasn't pleasant. However, he very graciously swapped it for the chocolate mousse which was to die for. Breakfast was good, the usual fayre - fruit, cereals, juice, toast (gluten free was not a problem) yogurt, ham, cheese, cooked bacon and eggs etc. After 11 am checkout you can stay and use the facilities until 5pm which is a bonus. We went to the Victorian Spa which was ok but so not worth £10 pp charge. It is small and busy, not enough loungers (which were pretty uncomfortable) pool is so-so, steamroom was nice and you got fruit and cordials, and some toiletries but really no better than other hotel who have these facilities included. I have to say that the staff were extremely good and attentive. I would definitely stay at the Crieff Hydro again!

Room Tip: Room 93 was fabulous
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for your comprehensive review 2point4kidsAberdeen and for taking the time to talk to us on the ‘phone about your recent stay. Feedback like yours is like 'pennies from Heaven' to us, in determining what we’re doing well and where we can improve. We’re so pleased that you’re already planning to come back to see us.
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at the Crieff Hydro for two nights in April and would def recommend a stay here. The hotel itself is in a lovely town with some great little cafes and art gallerys and the grounds of the hotel are huge and activity filled.

The hotel is of a high standard of service, cleanliness and appearance. Room was bright and a good size with big confortable beds.

This is a great hotel for both couple and families. There are lots of sports/activities to do on site in the grounds with most being quite reasonably priced. There is also a cinema in the hotel and although it does not show new releases the selection when we were there was good. We did not have time to use the pool when we were there as we were making the most of all the outdoor activites but it did look nice.

We ate in the more informal restaurant on the first night and I was disappointed with the service and the quality of food in comparisson to the price. Our opriginal menu choices were not available so we chose something else. I ordered duck and my husband ordered a steak. I could not taste the duck as the taste of the chilli sauce was far too overpowering and it was overcooked which was surprising as the waiter advised that it would come pink. My husband's steak was of a poor quality, in his eyes, and was more well done than medium but could not find waiter to send it back to the kitchen so he just ate it. Saying that our starter was lovely and they had a good selection of wine. Maybe they were just having an off day? Didnt try the more formal restaurant on the second night as the first night had put us off but it did look very nice and the menu looked a lot better.

Taking the above into consideration I would still stay here again as the on-site activities alone would be enough to tempt us back.

There were also lots of lodges on site which looked really good so would even considering booking one of those if we were to go back with family and/or friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for posting such a positive review TAF_Aberdeen. Although things weren’t absolutely perfect, we really appreciate your measured approach and will heed your menu feedback. We hope you’ll be back soon to see how we’ve interpreted your recommendations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Moness Resort
Moness Resort
#1 of 4 in Aberfeldy

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!