“Afternoon Tea” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
south yorkshire
“Afternoon Tea”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booking was an ordeal and took 4 phonecalls, 2 emails, which apparently were not received and two unanswered answerphone messages.
I did not attend the tea itself, as it was a gift for my mum and her friend, but it was apparently perfect and the service was good, but I would have thought that a large well established hotel such as the hydro would have been easier to book. I wouldnt rush to rebook or go back there myself. Dissapointing and unprofessional customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MLASouthYorkshire
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Whilst we're delighted that your mum and her friend had a lovely afternoon tea we're still very embarrassed to have made such heavy weather of the booking process, MLASouthYorkshire. Sorry. We'll investigate thoroughly to make sure that this just can't happen again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed overnight in a family room. Room itself a bit tired, it's been a while since I've stayed anywhere still using old tube tv's. Bathroom was modern however and overall the room was extremely clean.
No bottled water provided in the room either which I believe should be standard in a hotel of such high quality.
Used the Victorian spa for which you are charged £10 extra, worth it to avoid the hustle and bustle of the families with children in the main pool.
Booked a pedicure which was fabulous, staff were excellent and was very relaxing.
The food throughout our stay was delicious and of a high quality. We enjoyed dinner in the Meikle restaurant and I'd highly recommend. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty hot and cold choices.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and we will definitely return. Hopefully we'd be lucky enough to enjoy a higher standard of room next time though.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for posting such a terrific review, manda1405. It's brilliant to hear that the Victorian Spa, Pedicure and food struck the right chord. We're refurbishing bedrooms on a rolling basis and will be pleased to discuss options ahead of your next stay to make sure you're 100% happy next time.
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Recently visited Crieff Hydro as a 65th birthday treat organised by my partner and family and had THE most amazing time!!!
We had a double room on the very top floor - very comfortable and spacious - (although my partner bumped his head a few times on the twisty stair accessing it) and thoroughly enjoyed eating at three of the hotel's four in-house restaurants.
We used the Victorian Spa Pool with Jaccuzzi and Sauna and I was lucky enough to also enjoy two treatments at the in-house Hair and Beauty salon.
It was our first visit to the hotel and resort and I am sure my partner agrees that we would just LOVE to return some time.
We both agree we could not fault the service we received at the hotel. Everyone, from the reception staff (who did their utmost to get my e-reader hitched to the hotel's Wi Fi system) to the breakfast staff at the Meikle Rerstaurant (who bent over backwards to have my two types of soya milk to hand each morning) were exceptional. I really felt I could have taken each and every one of them home with me they were all so kind and friendly!
Danny (Head Waiter of the Brasserie), and cocktail mixer par excellance Kamil, also deserve a special mention for remembering it was my birthday and providing me with a surprise gift of a delightful Daiquiri (see pics).
Hidden gem of this most excellent hotel and resort is the Picollo Restaurant (also in-house) which serves up the most authentic of Italian delights courtesy of husband and wife team of retauranteurs....whose names, unfortunately I cannot recall...........but I will take the taste of their warm olive oil soaked Foccacino bread supping up my aubergine, tomato and cheese meal, (washed down with a delicious sweet white wine) for a very long time to come.

Room Tip: Get them to explain the plumbing in the en-suite. Even the concierge (who arrived promptly and willi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aw, we all had a warm and fuzzy glow of contentment when we read your stellar review, Sandie5552. Danny, Kamil, Luca and Roberta were all so chuffed to hear how much they contributed to your enjoyment of your special Birthday stay. Please hurry back to see us all soon!
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was my second stay, but I still cannot give them more than 3-stars. I was given a very nice room with mountain view. However, the bathroom was a disappointment, as there were several black hair left in the bath after the previous guest. That made me wonder; do the clean the bathrooms properly - or at all!?? So I stopped by the reception (at about 3pm) and asked if they could send someone to clean the bath by dinner-time. I said that I would like to use it before dinner. The receptionist was very apologetic and said that he would send someone to do it straight away. To my surprise all the hair was still there when I returned to the room at 6pm. So I had to make another trip to the reception – this time it was sorted out by the time I returned from dinner. I wonder why the hotel management doesn’t introduce a simple system of logging customer complaints and signing them off only after they get really dealt with. Otherwise it is a lovely hotel and the food was nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fidgetus
We were really kicking ourselves when we heard about the housekeeping issue, Fidgetus. Sorry. Thanks for your 'logging system' suggestion, which we'll consider introducing. It's such a shame this silly oversight spoilt an otherwise lovely stay and we can only hope it won't deter you from returning.
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Please be advised do not hand over your credit/Debit card to cover extras.
Opt to pay balance on exit.

I had money taken from my account in error and had to wait 3/5 days plus the time it took to discover the error.
And All I got was I am sorry.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Oh my goodness, we're really shocked to hear about this, Andrew M. We never quibble if told about a billing error and always make good straightaway, but it can take a few days for Banks to process refunds. So sorry that we didn't appear more grateful when you contacted us and only hope this won't deter you from returning.
Ayrshire, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed for 2 days during the May bank holiday and could find no fault at all with the hotel. Meals were great, we ate in the Brassiere & were allocated a table overlooking the garden which meant the kids could play outside within our view while we finished our meal & enjoyed a relaxing coffee. Breakfast was lovely, relaxed and lots to chose from (vegetarian cooked breakfast option too). We booked dinner, bed and breakfast which also included a lunch box for the kids. Cleanliness standards were very high and all areas we spotless. The kids loved having their own area off the bedroom with their own TV. Facilities & activities which were on during the day for the kids were great. Is a bit more expensive than other places but you do get a lot for your money.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel where I'm sure there were guests coming and going during...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol Y
Many of our team members avidly await our reviews, Carol Y and you'll have made lots of them very happy indeed with this brilliant review - thanks! We know how much planning goes into arranging a family break and we're really chuffed that it went so well. Hope to see you again soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Friendly staff, great rooms, good Victorian Spa (although I thing £10 a day is excessive when you've paid to stay in the hotal). However as a vegetarian, the food choices are terrible. One of the 2 mains available (a mushroom and chestnut dish) has a yeast added making it taste like beef (and making me feel ill, I spat it out and sent it back). I was then brought the only alternative, potato and leek crumble.... tasteless, unappetising (looks like ). I was then brought the only alternative, potato and leek crumble.... tasteless, unappetising (looks like baby food). The waiting staff were attentive and apologetic. The 'management' in the dining area were uninterested and dismissive. As a vegetarian I will not be back. I would suggest that other vegetarians avoid eating here until the chef has had some sort of training in how to create a vegetarian dish which is nutritious and both looks and tastes nice.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Gayle P
Oh, it was so disappointing that our vegetarian menu selection wasn't appealing Gayle P, as we've tried really hard of late to be creative. Sorry. Here's hoping you'll give us another chance, when our Chef would like to meet you personally and find vegetarian dishes to 'wow' you next time round.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#3 of 18 in Pitlochry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,680 reviews

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!