“Fantastic weekend in a stunning location”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went for the first time in March 2014, this place is lovely. Nice bar for afternoon drinks, rooms were spotless, and food was gorgeous. I lovely romantic weekend we'll never forget. Hope to go back soon during the summer when we can enjoy the surrounding more.

• Stayed: March 2014
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Your lovely review was well worth waiting for, Brian M. We're all suckers for romance at the Hydro, so it was lovely to hear that your romantic weekend went so well. Even better that you'll be returning before long. Hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,062)

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We visited Crieff Hydro for one night (a Monday) and were looking forward to having a relaxing time. That it was, but there were a few things about our stay which lead me to say that I didn't find it worth the money we paid for the night - £140.

We booked a standard room. Upon arrival we noticed that the room and therefore the bed appeared to be at an angle which was slightly disorientating. It was however very clean, albeit very small. The bathroom was new and also very clean. The television was old, the picture quality not the best and most channels didn't work.There was no air con and the room was very warm, we slept with the window open and it still felt too warm. As we were only there for one night we didn't complain but perhaps would have if our stay had been longer

The hotel has a swimming pool as you would expect for a spa resort. However we discovered that to use the Victorian Spa (literally just another swimming pool, for adults only with access to a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room) this would cost us an extra £10 each. As we had arranged spa treatments for us both (amounting to over £120) this was knocked down to £7 each but we felt that given the price for one night, and that it's a spa hotel, it didn't feel too much to ask to have this included in our room rate. Not to mention the additional money spent on spa treatments.

Breakfast was nice and staff were all very friendly and helpful. We did enjoy our stay, but it was those few niggles that meant we didn't feel it was good value for money. I'm not sure I would book again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jpatz82

What a shame that a few niggles spoilt an otherwise relaxing stay, Jpatz82. Sorry. We'd have moved Heaven and earth to resolve these issues if only you'd told us. Hope you'll give us another chance to impress. If so, please remind us about this when you book and we'll find a bedroom with the 'wow' factor.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went with our grandchildren 8,5, and three years old to a chalet. Would not recommend you go there as it is so wonderful that we want to keep availability all for ourselves.

So many activities I didn't need to take those toys. kids can't wait to go back.
The childcare takes the strain and we also had memorable times together.The evening entertainment was superb for families.

Selfish grandma

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Oh, we don't think that you're a 'selfish grandma', Milkmaid2 - after all, you've been kind enough to share your wonderful feedback with us all! Seriously 'though, we're thrilled that you and your grandchildren really enjoyed your self catering stay. Great to hear they're spearheading a return visit!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booking was an ordeal and took 4 phonecalls, 2 emails, which apparently were not received and two unanswered answerphone messages.
I did not attend the tea itself, as it was a gift for my mum and her friend, but it was apparently perfect and the service was good, but I would have thought that a large well established hotel such as the hydro would have been easier to book. I wouldnt rush to rebook or go back there myself. Dissapointing and unprofessional customer service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MLASouthYorkshire

Whilst we're delighted that your mum and her friend had a lovely afternoon tea we're still very embarrassed to have made such heavy weather of the booking process, MLASouthYorkshire. Sorry. We'll investigate thoroughly to make sure that this just can't happen again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed overnight in a family room. Room itself a bit tired, it's been a while since I've stayed anywhere still using old tube tv's. Bathroom was modern however and overall the room was extremely clean.
No bottled water provided in the room either which I believe should be standard in a hotel of such high quality.
Used the Victorian spa for which you are charged £10 extra, worth it to avoid the hustle and bustle of the families with children in the main pool.
Booked a pedicure which was fabulous, staff were excellent and was very relaxing.
The food throughout our stay was delicious and of a high quality. We enjoyed dinner in the Meikle restaurant and I'd highly recommend. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty hot and cold choices.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and we will definitely return. Hopefully we'd be lucky enough to enjoy a higher standard of room next time though.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thanks for posting such a terrific review, manda1405. It's brilliant to hear that the Victorian Spa, Pedicure and food struck the right chord. We're refurbishing bedrooms on a rolling basis and will be pleased to discuss options ahead of your next stay to make sure you're 100% happy next time.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Recently visited Crieff Hydro as a 65th birthday treat organised by my partner and family and had THE most amazing time!!!
We had a double room on the very top floor - very comfortable and spacious - (although my partner bumped his head a few times on the twisty stair accessing it) and thoroughly enjoyed eating at three of the hotel's four in-house restaurants.
We used the Victorian Spa Pool with Jaccuzzi and Sauna and I was lucky enough to also enjoy two treatments at the in-house Hair and Beauty salon.
It was our first visit to the hotel and resort and I am sure my partner agrees that we would just LOVE to return some time.
We both agree we could not fault the service we received at the hotel. Everyone, from the reception staff (who did their utmost to get my e-reader hitched to the hotel's Wi Fi system) to the breakfast staff at the Meikle Rerstaurant (who bent over backwards to have my two types of soya milk to hand each morning) were exceptional. I really felt I could have taken each and every one of them home with me they were all so kind and friendly!
Danny (Head Waiter of the Brasserie), and cocktail mixer par excellance Kamil, also deserve a special mention for remembering it was my birthday and providing me with a surprise gift of a delightful Daiquiri (see pics).
Hidden gem of this most excellent hotel and resort is the Picollo Restaurant (also in-house) which serves up the most authentic of Italian delights courtesy of husband and wife team of retauranteurs....whose names, unfortunately I cannot recall...........but I will take the taste of their warm olive oil soaked Foccacino bread supping up my aubergine, tomato and cheese meal, (washed down with a delicious sweet white wine) for a very long time to come.

Room Tip: Get them to explain the plumbing in the en-suite. Even the concierge (who arrived promptly and willi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Aw, we all had a warm and fuzzy glow of contentment when we read your stellar review, Sandie5552. Danny, Kamil, Luca and Roberta were all so chuffed to hear how much they contributed to your enjoyment of your special Birthday stay. Please hurry back to see us all soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was my second stay, but I still cannot give them more than 3-stars. I was given a very nice room with mountain view. However, the bathroom was a disappointment, as there were several black hair left in the bath after the previous guest. That made me wonder; do the clean the bathrooms properly - or at all!?? So I stopped by the reception (at about 3pm) and asked if they could send someone to clean the bath by dinner-time. I said that I would like to use it before dinner. The receptionist was very apologetic and said that he would send someone to do it straight away. To my surprise all the hair was still there when I returned to the room at 6pm. So I had to make another trip to the reception – this time it was sorted out by the time I returned from dinner. I wonder why the hotel management doesn’t introduce a simple system of logging customer complaints and signing them off only after they get really dealt with. Otherwise it is a lovely hotel and the food was nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Fidgetus

We were really kicking ourselves when we heard about the housekeeping issue, Fidgetus. Sorry. Thanks for your 'logging system' suggestion, which we'll consider introducing. It's such a shame this silly oversight spoilt an otherwise lovely stay and we can only hope it won't deter you from returning.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#18 of 18 in Perth
New County Hotel
New County Hotel
#16 of 18 in Perth

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!