Family Room (1 double and 1 single bed) room number 145
It was small and warm, no air conditioning. The heating rail in the bathroom seemed extremely hot. (not safe for a 2yr old) it took 24 hours and 3 different members of staff to work out how to turn it off. we asked for a fan at reception and one was delivered to our room in within 15 minutes. bathroom was quite small (almost enough room to swing a cat!)
Children's facilities - staff at Big Country were very friendly and welcoming. There is a small soft play room next to the Big Country nursery. where you supervise your own children. It is open from around 9.30am - 6pm. it allows up to 15 children. I found it very claustrophobic with around 7 children + parents. You get up to 2, 3 hour child care sessions (included in the stay) every day. The facilities were great, it is just unfortunate that our 2yr 2month old girl didn't settle. It was a very safe and secure area.
Dining - There were a few different options for dinner. Both nights we ate in the Brasserie restaurant. The first night we asked to move table as there were a lot of ants crawling around the window we were seated next to. They moved us immediately and apologised. The Food was very tasty and very good portions sizes. In fact I would say the blonde beer battered haddock was too big! Our daughter ate from the mini munchers menu. We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast package. Each adult had £21.50 towards dinner and each child up to the age of 16 had £4.60 (the cheapest children's main course was £4.95) There was also the Meikle Restaurant, a bit more formal. It didn't open until 6.30pm, this didn't suit us, but looked lovely.
Breakfast was served in the Meikle Restaurant, from 7.30am - 10.00am. It was a self serve cooked/continental breakfast. All very tasty!
Pool - we used the pool mid morning, it was nice and quiet. The kids splash time was around 4.30pm. it looked fun but too busy. The Leisure complex provided towels and had plenty areas around the pool for non swimmers/spectators.
Outdoors - We walked up the footpath to the club house (but never made it to any of the facilities after being called back to collect our daughter from the big country). The tree top assault course looked good fun! The path would have been quite difficult to push a buggy up. It had been very wet, so the ground was very squidgy. There was a good play park at the front of the main reception up beside the tennis courts. We enjoyed the 18 hole putting green out side the 'HUB'
The grounds were very well maintained, our daughter enjoyed looking at the ducks and horses.
I would recommend the hotel to people with young families, but I would also advise couples or groups of adults hoping for a quiet break, that there are a lot of kids about. The staff were all friendly, there were some language barriers at times, but nothing that wasn't sorted. There was free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. (not in our room - no 145) The TV signal was also not very good. We had a very poor view out our room - it was the roof of the reception area!
Over all I would rate our stay 3.5/4 out of 5
I hope this review is of use. I don't normally review hotels etc... but that was our first proper break with our 2 year old and I thought it is good for people in a similar situation to know how we felt about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arguably the most comprehensive family resort in Scotland, 4 star Crieff Hydro is centrally located in its own 900 acre estate with an unrivaled range of leisure pursuits for all ages. Choose from over 40 on-site leisure activities and take advantage of inclusive daily childcare for 2-12 year olds in the 700m2 kids club. Extensively redeveloped from top to bottom, Crieff Hydro is only an hours drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda, LateRooms, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crieff Hydro Hotel Crieff
- Crieff Hydro Resort
- Crieff Hotel Hydro
- Crieff Hydro Scotland
- Crieff Hydro Hotel And Resort Scotland