“Perfect family holiday destination”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We just spent a long weekend at Crieff Hydro with our 7month old and we are already planning our return visit. From the friendly staff, lovely food with lots of choice, many many activities to the beautiful surroundings we can't think of anywhere we would rather take our son. Our only criticism would be the warmth of our room, it was incredibly hot, but we made a call to reception to request a fan and one was delivered within 5minutes. Thank you so much to all the staff at Crieff Hydro for making our holiday so fantastic, you are a credit to the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

It's such a privilege to respond to our reviews when they're as complimentary as yours, njm101. Many of our 630+ team members read our reviews and they'll be chuffed to bits too - thanks from us all! We can't wait to welcome you back, when the temperature should be more comfortable.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

What a wonderful hotel...I will definately be back !!!
I didn't realise how big it was; the grounds are amazing, and there is soooo much to do to suite everyone. The weather unfortunately wasn't the best for us, but it didn't stop us getting out there and enjoying the scenery, archery, shooting, off-road driving etc. There is even a cinema !!
Could have stayed another couple of nights to enjoy more, but we will definately be staying there again.
The food was amazing, and ALL the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful; even joining in at the ceilidh !!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Phew, we were exhausted just reading what you'd managed to pack into your first visit, Pauline D! It's lovely to have found a new fan and, with so much more yet to discover, we hope it won't be too long before we can welcome you back for another action-packed break.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have recently stayed for a fantastic weekend break on dinner, bed and breakfast basis,
I decided this year to visit Scotland for a change (staycation) I must recommend this place it was truly brilliant from the minute we walked in the door. We will hopefully return in the future and may even bring the family.

Room Tip: I liked extra space so booked a family room for just the two of us,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

We all loved your brilliant review Morag B. Thanks! We're thrilled that your first visit to Crieff Hydro made for a great 'staycation'. It's the cherry on the cake to hear that you're already planning a return stay and we hope to welcome you back for many more year to come.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

First of all, we love Crieff Hydro. I've been going on and off for well over 30 years.

We've stayed 3 times in the last year as our 5 year old boy just loves the outdoor activities and the kids time at the pool.

I'm just finding it too expensive now. It has always been dear but I've always felt you get what you pay for. Up until now.

A pint of lager in the Hub was £4.40. This really put me off buying more than one whilst watching the world cup. During the evening entertainment I went to purchase a soft drink for me and my son. The Wintergarden wanted to charge me £1.40 for a fruit shoot and £1.45 for a 300ml glass bottle of Pepsi Max. I put them back as I felt this was excessive. Instead I purchased a pint of blackcurrant and water from the Brasserie. This was £1.40. For a dash of cordial and tap water. Again, excessive.

The hotel itself is a bit tired and tatty. Especially when you move away from the front entrance and ground floor. I did leave that as feedback last year but there are no noticeable changes down the line. Our Executive family room with alcove was an excellent size. Very comfortable and I thought the beds were great. Last year I raised a complaint about the picture quality on the TV. It's very grainy. A small issue perhaps but the fact that 10 months later it's not improved concerns me. Does Mr Jennets actually read the reviews as his email suggests? Our family room (number 74) is poorly placed. It's right above the pool which has lots of air con units. These drone on day and night 24/7. We had to keep our windows open as we were very lucky with the weather. So it was a noisy sleep. Luckily the kids didn't notice and they slept well.

Most of the activities are also out of our price range now. We purchased a 3 in 1 package which gave our son a round of crazy golf, a quad pods ride and a small water activity. This was really the only activities we could afford. They were good value for money and are definitely worth booking.

We paid £440 advanced rate payment as we were told this was the best rate, saving us £20! Rather annoyingly Crieff Hydro posted an offer on Facebook a few weeks before our arrival. £238 for the same period. Including my upgrade to the alcove room this would have been £290. A lot cheaper than what we did pay. Had I not taken the advanced rate (can't cancel or change booking) I could have changed to this better option and stayed another night. Increasing our spend per head, but the booking people would not entertain this. So it left a bitter taste in our mouths. Paying almost double compared to other people.

The food, as always, is great. Buffet breakfast amazing. Well worth waiting for. We ate at the Brasserie
Brasserie and Murray park. You must try Murray park. It's a wee forgotten nugget.

All the staff are great. Polite and friendly.

Sadly I don't think we'll manage another stay at the Hydro. To benefit from everything available activity wise etc it's now unaffordable. Which is quite sad for us as we have lots of great family memories.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Neil D

Thanks for your comprehensive review, Neil D. It's hard to respond in a few lines, but I promise you our MD does read all our reviews. In the past year we've refurbished a number of bedrooms & chalets and work is ongoing. Please watch out for great offers throughout the year and hope we'll see you again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had a midweek break which was enjoyable with the added factor of fabulous weather. However there are in my opinion quite a few negatives.
I asked for quiet rooms which is what I got, they were on the third floor along narrow corridors in the roof area of the building. The room was okay but the carpets are an accident waiting to happen. The floors are so uneven that in the area leading to the bathroom the carpet actually moves and in places is puckered! Not so good for people with mobility problems which my partner has. I did ask at check in if I could look at a family room as I had a teenager with me but was told to look at my allocated rooms first and the that the hotel was full anyway!
I asked after our first night if something could be done about the mattress as there was no support whatsoever, the mattress was well past it's sell by date and pretty impossible to sleep on .The first solution to this was to put duvets under the sheets! Again I went to reception and explained my problem to Wendy who had the mattress changed. Thank you Wendy.
Breakfast was a bit of a shocking experience as you have to give your name then queue to be given your allocated table. It didn't make any difference if you went down earlier it was still packed out. There is a small seating area but not in any way large enough to accommodate the volume of guests.
Once seated the food was varied and well presented and the team of young waiters and
waitresses were efficient and very friendly. Didn't have dinner so cannot comment.

Activities were very expensive-averaging £40 per hour for Segway and the same for quad bikes. Aloft was good value £26 for 2 hrs, it's a bit like go ape.

I personally would not return .This is no reflection on the staff as they were all very pleasant. This is a reflection on the hotel in general. I am aware there are different standards of rooms ,ours I would not rate as 4 star, they were clean but tired and a bit tatty. Also I can't understand how the hotel was full when I asked about another room yet on speaking to another guest who checked in just me and didn't fancy the room his family were allocated were given different rooms!! Must depend on who you speak to.

2  Thank Susan R

Thanks for your pragmatic review, sr120. The school holiday period is very busy, nonetheless, I think we fall into the 'could try harder' category on this occasion. Sorry. If we can persuade you to return, please remind us of these issues and we'll do everything possible to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Food fantastic, room fantastic, staff fantastic, the only thing wrong with our stay was, i had booked in for a massage at 4.30 on the day we arrived, when we checked in we were told we were entitled to a discount for the victorian spa since i had a massage booked, only to be told after the massage that the discount was only valid for the same day and as we had booked dinner for 6.30 we could not use it. I really think this discount should be able to be used at any time over the duration of your stay not just on the day of the massage.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackieedin

Grrrrrrrr it was really frustrating to read that we'd been so inflexible about the Victorian Spa on this occasion, jackieedin. Sounds like Little Britain's 'computer says no' sketch. So sorry. Please remind us about this when you make your next booking and we'll arrange a relaxing visit to the Victorian Spa.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Arrived back last night from another fantastic break at The Hydro. The food, as always, was excellent and the resteraunt(s) very smoothly run considering how busy the hotel was. The kids buffet was also varied, nutritous and appealing. Our pair ( 7 and 9 respectively ) loved the Big Country kids club evening sessions and we loved having peace and quiet to eat our evening meal ! Our family room was spotlessly clean and a great size. Staff all through the hotel were friendly and helpfull. The swimming pool was a real stand out, particuarly the two hours a day where they bring out an inflatable slide for the kids.The gym is open from 07.00am until 21.30 everyday and is extensively kitted out for a hotel gym. The early opening time really suited us as it didn't infringe on any family time when either of us wanted to go.

The only disapointment and it was quite a major one was the price of the activities that we looked into. £ 50 for the kids to have a half an hour horse riding lesson( £ 25 each ) is not good value. £ 124 for the four of us to use the Segways transportation vehicles for ONE HOUR is an outrage. Several of the water sports we enquired about were very expensively priced too. We also went down to hire tandem bikes ( as advertised on the website ) to discover that they only actually have ONE ...... and it was broken. Very disapointing.

Aside from the above, we love Crieff Hydro and would recomend it everytime. Very family orientated with a friendly atmosphere.

2  Thank silverstoat2
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Your review was bittersweet for us, silverstoat2 . We loved reading how much you enjoyed your stay and receiving your compliments - thanks. It's of concern that you found our outdoor activity charges a bit steep, as these are inline with comparable local venues. Sorry. We'll take another look at the rates (and the tandem bikes) in light of your feedback. Hope you'll return soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Atholl Palace Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!