“great family holiday”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“great family holiday”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Would highly recommend as a family venue apart from mealtimes we did not have to leave the grounds. Kids club is fab & plenty for kids entertainment. We found food very basic or very expensive, no middle of the road here so we ate out but wouldnt let that put you off. Our 4 yr old didnt want to leave as he still had things to do!

1 Thank Lynne H
Crieff_Hydr0, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
We're delighted that you had such a great holiday, Lynne H and that your 4 year old had a ball. With 7 different food outlets, ranging from cafes to formal restaurants, we try to offer meals to suit all tastes and budgets. Here's hoping you'll return soon and find something to suit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
Peterhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have just returned yesterday from a weeks stay at Crieff Hydro, we are a complicated bunch to please; I am wheelchair bound, our son is Autistic and our daughter is Coeliac. We were staying in the disabled family room 75 and my parents who both have health problems were in 79. Firstly I will say that we were at Crieff Hydro at the same time last year and loved it so much that we were very excited to return. I did however feel disappointed, at £2000 for a weeks stay for a family of four I honestly expect both the food and rooms to be of a better standard. There were a lot of bleach stains on the carpet and cracked tiles on the bathroom floor. The bathroom is not the best set out for a wheelchair user. The bar is under the shower and there are no bars near the shower seat to assist transfer. The shower barely reached me and my husband had to hold it over me so that I could shower properly. These are issues that were there last year but the better quality and great food made up for it. However on our first evening 'a Tuesday, we chose to eat in the brasserie due to the Meikle not opening until 6pm and my children wanting to watch the magic show which started at 8pm. Well I was not impressed, not only was the food horrendous (my Risotto was raw, barely cooked at all, one staff member was actually quite aggressive in her reaction to my complaint, demanding to know why I had said it was ok when she had checked earlier. At the point she had asked I had my Autistic son on my knee and I was trying to calm him as he was very overwhelmed and had not even tried the risotto yet. My husband had replied that we were fine. We all decided we would not be returning, I honestly have ate food in a Beefeater that was nicer than this.

We mostly ate our meals in the Meikle which was sometimes quieter and was closer to the room for our son to escape to when he was overwhelmed. The service was mixed, from farcical to fantastic. On one occasions it was just a farce and we waited so long for the waitress to realise we were finished our main course that our children were completely bored. She was aware of this but feigned innocence and asked with a surprised look 'Oh are you finished?' the food was average, the menu very poor and constantly the same, fine for a midweek break but if you are here for a week you will be very tired of this dull menu. The vegetarian choices were very poor as were the gluten free options. I will say however that the waiter Robert and his wife Johanna were lovely, Robert actually went out of his way to source gluten free porridge and bread rolls from Tesco in Perth for my daughter when she grew tired of having toast. When Robert, Johanna and Majik were serving it truly was a pleasure to eat at the Meikle. They were very friendly and so helpful and tolerant of our son who really struggles with crowds and noise. The service of these truly lovely people really did make up for our poor experience of the food. Some nights the food was lovely, one thing Crieff Hydro do well is the soup! And of course the lovely sorbet! So it was not all bad, however when paying the prices we were paying we really were hoping for more than not all bad! Our daughter had chicken breast and new potatoes and veg every night due to lack of choice (the two gf choices on the children's menu she didn't like) . She grew very bored of this!

Access wise the hotel is ok, not great due to there being so many heavy doors to pass through but all of the staff were friendly and helpful. The lift on the left in Reception is small but not as small the one on the right which I would not advise for other wheelchair users. I loved the grounds however I was disappointed when I had to go all the way round to the other side of the hotel due to the disabled ramped access outside the hub being blocked by around 12 wheely bins.
There is a lot on for families, activity wise and the free child care is a great idea. My daughter went once to Big Country but said she was bored so didn't want to return. They said they could not provide any extra provision for my Autistic son so he didn't go either. My husband and children did however make use of the swimming pool. They enjoyed the pony rides and horse riding lessons- the Instructor was great with my son and he thoroughly enjoyed his half hour lessons. Another thing they enjoyed was the Super Hero training and the mini adventurers, the quad pod was fun as were the other activities. I was however disappointed to see that they advertised Polaris vehicles when they are not actually there yet. If you have children who are happy to go to the free child care I am sure that this is great.
The entertainment was great this year, my little ones enjoyed the Ceilidh's when it was quiet. The magician was good however he has the same act as last year and don't buy the duck! My daughters duck broke after returning to the room cue floods of tears! At £5 it is pretty steep! The dj for the disco was lovely and asked us what we would like to listen to and accommodated our son who is terrified of one particular song.
What I will say is that the setting is lovely, there are lots of activities going on and it is definitely a family friendly hotel. Nobody batted an eyelid when my son was overwhelmed and mostly the staff were lovely and went out of their way to help! Robert really showed how wonderful people can be, thankyou so much for making my little girl feel special and like she can eat the same as her Mummy and Daddy for breakfast! And thankyou to the lovely waitress (I am sorry I have forgotten her name) who quickly sorted the misunderstandings with orders for my son, stopping a meltdown from happening. A big thank you for rescuing our iPad and dairy free margarine when we had to leave quickly with an overwhelmed child
Compared to last year however, the hotel has grown tired and the restaurant seemed much better managed last year. Everything ran smoothly last year, however this year when there was a wedding and coach party in, there were just not enough staff and this slowed service down completely. This also showed in the food which was either overdone or just bland. With two small children to look after this meant we had no time to wait for replacements.
I will say that all of the staff bar two were lovely, helpful and went out of their way to help us whatever way they could. I was very impressed with how clean the hotel was, the cleaners were always cleaning, be it rooms, walls, hoovering, washing windows. My son was in awe watching a member of staff clean the top windows with telescopic pole.
When we left last year we sang the hotels praises and we knew exactly where we wanted to go this year on holiday. However next year I fear we will be going elsewhere, we are too disappointed with what we got for the price this year. I fear self catering is the only way forward for our little girl to enjoy the varied diet she has at home. I am unsure whether that will be at Crieff Hydro as we have limited options with disabled and family friendly accomodation. However I will be looking elsewhere when we had hoped that this would become a family tradition. Hopefully if we do return, Crieff Hydro will have returned to the high standards we experienced last year. I do not get out very much due to my disability so we really want something special when we go on holiday, it was last year I just wish it had been this year too.

Room Tip: We were in room 75 which is a disabled family room, the wifi was not great and was a bit hit or mis...
4 Thank Mumto2stars
Mumto2stars, your review is probably the most comprehensive that we've ever received! It's impossible to respond adequately in just a few lines, but sorry things weren't 100% perfect. If you'll give us another chance, please remind us of these points when you book and we'll 'pull out all the stops' next time.
aberdeen scotland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Crieff Hydro is an amazing place for a hol. It offers loads of activities in a beautiful countryside setting.There are lots of lovely walks around the grounds and the scenery is breath taking.
The hotel is a huge Victorian building with an impressive modern reception.
On arrival the staff were welcoming and helpful.
We stayed in a 2 bed chalet/cabin which was fine for us and our 9mth old puppy. The kitchen and bathrooms are nice and the place was clean. Beds are comfy and there are plenty white fluffy towels. We weren't so keen on the quirky decor in the lounge and bedrooms, there is not much head room upstairs and we would have preferred a toilet beside the bedrooms. Next time I think we would splash out on a lodge as they looked better.
We really enjoyed all the activities and the instructors are so friendly and attentive. My teenage son loved the quads and segways and we enjoyed lots of lovely walks with the dog.
We only ate in the Club House as we could take our dog, we were pleasantly surprised how good the food was, well presented and tasty.
The village of Crieff is only a couple of mins away and has plenty shops, delis, cafes and takeaways, and also a decent co-op. The town has managed to retain its charm. There is a huge park called McCrosty park which is well worth a visit.
We also drove to the lovely village of St Fillans which has amazing views and walks around the loch.
We think this is a wonderful hotel/resort with lovely staff and hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
There was lots to enjoy in your glowing review, Mitches - thanks! It certainly sounds as 'though you've sussed out exactly what works for you and your family at the Hydro. With so much yet to discover, here's hoping that you'll be back to sample one of our larger lodges soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the second year that we have been able to take our grandchildren to the Crief Hydro and this year was even better than last. The attention to detail is extraordinary and the organisation for children's entertainment is so professional that we had no worries upon leaving our grandchildren in the Big Country one of which suffers from serious allergies. They can cope with it all. Meal times are also a treat whether at the busy breakfast or the evening in the Brasserie or the Piccolo with special meals for the children. My only adverse comment is that I think the children's menu needs some better content. Not only my grandson but also my son truly enjoyed the new tree top feature-ALOFT.

Room Tip: Keep away from the ballroom as music evenings can be intrusive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your stellar review, Peter D. The teams at BIG Country and Action Glen were particularly chuffed to receive your praise. Thanks too for your 'heads up' on the children's menu, which we'll review now. Hope we'll be seeing you and your grandchildren again soon.
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for the first time for a weekend in one of the lodges. Had heard of so many good things about the hydro, and looked forward to our weekend with so much expectations and subsequently expected so much about the resort.

The lodge we stayed at was nice but slightly tired, and felt slightly overpriced for what it was.

Front of house staff were lovely and informative. Disappointed the weekend we stayed we were not allow access into one of the restaurants as there was a private function on.

Visited restaurants at main hydro building a couple of times, nothing too exiting in terms of menu choice and staff very average for such an impressive place, thought the food would be way better, hard to put the finger on the place but it felt slightly caught out of time in today's current hospitality place.

Too much of something and not enough quality on one thing possibly, swimming pools were nice & functional but somewhat lacklustre in fun, a bit old fashioned.

In fairness to the hydro I am sure some people enjoy the hydro, but I was left slightly disappointed, as were some of my family. I could hugely elaborate and go on but this is just a short review after all.

Stayed May 2014
We all felt quite deflated after reading your candid review, 2manyreveiwers. Whilst we can't say with 100% certainty that the Hydro's the right place for you, it did sound as 'though some areas fell below par during your stay. Sorry. Hope you'll give us another chance someday.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A Scottish institution which has evolved and updated itself with the times. The ideal hotel to stay in with children and wonderful to be able to have such good food and accommodation while our three year old twins could enjoy themselves. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We felt a warm glow of satisfaction after reading your sterling review, rpjbw. We're thrilled that you were able to enjoy such a relaxing time, safe in the knowledge that your twins were also having a ball in BIG Country. It's the 'cherry on the cake' to hear that you're already planning to return.
northern ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This is our second visit to Crieff. The free child care is amazing. Having two children under 3 the child care is was what drew us there again. Big country and the staff are fab and my kids loved being there!
We ate in all 3 restaurants. Mielke is fantastic. Brasserie is great for more informal meal but wouldn't rate the Italian. Menu wasn't great. Food was bland.
Activities are fantastic you wouldn't need to leave hotel!
All in all I love Crieff hydro and we'll definitely be back!!

Stayed July 2014
lovinnewyork, we're so chuffed that you're also lovincrieffhydro! It's terrific that your break ticked so many boxes. Thanks too for your feedback on 'Piccolo', which will be passed on. It's lovely to have you as a fan and to hear that you're already planning your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!