My husband used to stay at this hotel when he was a child with his family on occasions, and when we visited over Easter it was the first time he had returned in 15 years.
Apparently, little has changed – and this is a good thing!
Our room was a good size overlooking the rear of the hotel. The food was good, with a choice for dinner in either the Brasserie or the more formal Meikle restaurant. You need to book the Meikle in advance, but it is worth it. You can easily spend a day taking part in the activities the hotel has to offer – the Ceilidh traditional Scottish dancing lessons in the afternoon was probably the most fun, which you can put into practice in the evenings after dinner. For a small premium we played bowls and croquet. There are two swimming pools – a normal one, and a Victorian one (which costs extra and is for adults only).
The town of Crieff is not huge (and for my husband it was more about reminiscing), but there are many things to do in the local vicinity – plenty of pretty countryside walks, and in driving distance there is Scone Palace and a whisky tour.
I liked the atmosphere of the hotel and got the feeling is must have been awesome at one point in history, with tall ceilings, wide corridors and a pretty ballroom. I also got the strong impression that this is a family-oriented hotel.
If there was one thing we were not happy with it was the unannounced fire drill. When we phoned reception to find out what was happening the very rude woman at the end of the phone told us we should have known about it already as there were signs everywhere – there weren’t! Another incident was when we came to settle our bill we found that another customer’s bar bill had been attached to our room, which we would not have realised had we not checked. Fortunately, the hotel agreed and refunded our money with minimal hassle. Three more things – first, although the hotel has wifi, it costs a fortune to use; second, parking was a problem – I can imagine finding a space will be difficult in the summer; third, the safe in our room did not work and the man sent to fix it was unable to. But these are small things.
We will definitely be staying here again in future, and I look forward to it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arguably the most comprehensive family resort in Scotland, 4 star Crieff Hydro is centrally located in its own 900 acre estate with an unrivaled range of leisure pursuits for all ages. Choose from over 40 on-site leisure activities and take advantage of inclusive daily childcare for 2-12 year olds in the 700m2 kids club. Extensively redeveloped from top to bottom, Crieff Hydro is only an hours drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crieff Hydro Hotel Crieff
- Crieff Hydro Resort
- Crieff Hotel Hydro
- Crieff Hydro Scotland
- Crieff Hydro Hotel And Resort Scotland