“Another excellent stay”
Review of Murraypark Hotel

Murraypark Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed for two nights last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was our second visit to this hotel and we had no complaints at all. The entire staff could not have been more helpful or more pleasant, the rooms we had (19 and 20) were large & airy - I would have liked a bath but the shower was fine. The dining room staff were very friendly & the reception staff went a long way to making us feel very welcome. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CrieffHydroHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Murraypark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

We knew that we were in for a great review when we spotted your title and top score Helen J and you didn't disappoint. Thanks for your recommendation too. Hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back for another relaxing stay before long.

There are newer reviews for Murraypark Hotel

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We enjoyed a return visit to the Murraypark, a Groupon deal shared with friends. Rooms were in the original part of the hotel and very good. We had a B&B deal but also ate dinner in the restaurant. The menu has been improved since our last visit giving an excellent choice and food of an excellent standard. The hotel was busy, no doubt due to the deal, however, although the service was slow at times, all staff were pleasant and helpful. Special mention must be made of the reception and bar staff who were exceptionally helpful and friendly, it was a pleasure dealing with them.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking the time to post such a positive review, NancyS49. It's great to hear that you liked the changes that we've made since your last visit. Thanks too for the special mentions, which buoy all the team. Here's hoping we'll be welcoming you back before long.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

stayed the 1st weekend in march,made reservation over website via my debitcard they debited the accomadation fee from my bank account on arrival without my knowledge?.on checkout day they deducted the fee again.result unknowing paid twice twice!! i did not find out till we got home unfortunetly from my bank ,telling me i was overdrawn and would be incurring bank charges! shame on their accounts? spoiled my wifes birthday weekend!

Room Tip: try to book room in the main building extension/annexe quite noisy and far away
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank philbren71
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Come here often with my kids. They love the proper bunk beds in the family rooms. Excellent being able to use facilities of hydro and plenty to do and see in local area. Food always nice and restaurants surrounding is pleasant as is the open fire in the bar. Overall a comfortable stay always.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Was passing through Crieff on way to Dundee and thought it was time to stop, booked a room over the phone no problem.
Checked in by the assistant manager lovely girl and very helpful, went for dinner bed & breakfast deal fantastic value.
Stayed in room 13 - perfect modern clean and comfortable.
Went down for dinner three courses all as good as I have had in any hotel and I travel all over Scotland, waiting staff a credit to the hotel.
Breakfast delicious
If there is a better hotel in Crieff for the value and service I will be surprised .
We'll done Murray Park if I stay I Crieff any time soon you will be the first place I call number saved to contacts

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

So me and my family chose Murray park hotel for a wee new year get away. How disappointing. I can't believe we wasted not only our money but the time we had away here. Completely disappointed with our room it was positively ghastly. Our room was cold and felt unwelcoming. The staff seemed to give you the cold shoulder when you try to get their attention. The lack of assistance when needed was shocking. And I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone, not even to an enemy of mine. Cold. Dull. And down right disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014
9  Thank bitsybob7
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Murraypark on Friday and Saturday to celebrate a friends landmark birthday.

The Hotel is small but perfectly formed, situated on a quiet side road about a 10 minute slow walk from it's larger sister hotel the Crieff Hydro. Staying at the Murraypark gains access to the Hydro facilities.

We were greeted very warmly by Lynne who I think may be the hotel manager. All of the staff we met during our stay and using the restaurant were very friendly, keen to help and efficient with some major niggles I'll come to later. Close to the reception is a small lounge with newspapers and a large TV if you want to catch up on the news, the TV remote is to hand if you want peace and quiet with your daily read. Staff will bring tea/coffee drinks to you in the lounge. I'm not a coffee drinker but my friend and wife who both have serious coffee habits said there's were lovely.

I had requested a quiet room as I am a very light sleeper and was given room 20 on the top floor which met our needs perfectly. It was too warm for me initially, obviously warm air rising throughout the hotel but turning the radiator down and opening the window solved that. Horses for courses, someone else would probably love the extra warmth. The room was a good size with a comfortable double and single bed, a dressing table, a chest of drawers, a couple of armchairs and a decent sized wardrobe. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities were in the room. Our room only had a shower which was fine for us but of you prefer a bath ask specifically; I know nsome rooms have a bath as friends had one.

A brisk 10 minute walk (2 minute drive) down the hill takes you to Crieff High Street where you can buy a newspaper, visit a café, pub or restaurant. There's also a fair few traditional outfitters, so if a tweed jacket or Deerstalker hat take your fancy you are in luck. It's a pretty stiff walk back uphill but that helps get rid of the lunchtime excess.

The niggles I mentioned earlier all came at meal times. The menu is fine and there is probably something for everyone. The quality of the food is good, not outstanding but perfectly fine for what it is. The problem we had was waiting for our orders to arrive. By the way I do not blame the waiting staff who to a man (we were only waited on by men) were friendly, courteous and obliging. On Friday evening we had booked a table for four adults and two children (11 and 5 years old) for 7 O'Clock. By 7.10 our orders had been taken, drinks arrived promptly and then the wait; at 7.45 the mother of the kids asked that if nothing else could the children's starters be brought (they had both only asked for garlic bread) as it was seriously late for them to be dining, the starters all arrived within 5 minutes. By the way none of our starters were soufflés or anything of the sort that take a while to cook, it was goats cheese salads or similar. Then the wait happened again, after 40 minutes and with, by now, a very grumpy 5 year old boy I caved in and went to the kitchen to find out what was happening as we had been in the restaurant about 1 ½ hours with no sign of the main, again the food arrived within 5 minutes. The boy by now was too tired to eat. The night manager came and apologised, one of the waiters must have informed her and she duly waived our drinks bill, 2 bottles of apple juice for the kids and a bottle of wine for the ladies. I've worked in catering and said to my wife and friends that it was probably a chef calling in sick as there could not have been a full compliment of kitchen staff on. If that was the case it was the same the next night when as a a party of 12-14 we waited so long to be served the guest of honour went to find a manager to see what the problem was. It went from long waits at dinner to Fawlty Towers at breakfast on Sunday. We were not offered tea or coffee, the staff who were so diligent and cheery on Friday and Saturday seemed out on their feet, I don't blame them, they seemed to have long shifts. An elderly friend ordered a soft boiled egg which came 15 minutes and 3 cups of coffee later, not accompanied by the requested toast. My wife got her eggs and bacon which was nice but it was served before the porridge she had ordered to start. Give him his due the waiter did offer to take it away and keep it warm, my wife decided not to risk it. Her porridge turned up mid way through her cooked breakfast. My breakfast arrived without the toast but I was at last given a pot of tea, luckily there was a milk jug on an adjacent table as my tea didn't come with any. So I'm guessing it's down to budget and for a hotel which seemed to be fully booked the whole weekeend that is unnaceptable. The chefs obviously cannot cope with the covers so the management need to sort something out. Similarly a few of the waiters seemed to be just very, very tired.

That seemed like a fairly lengthy moan, it's not, it's a statement of what happened but I feel it needed explanation as the waiters were generally great and the food is okay.

I would recommend the Murraypark and it's staff wholeheartedly and we will definitely stay again. Apart from the restaurant delays we had a great time with a lovely room, in a smashing hotel. But eat there again? Probably not with the high street 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Room 20 is a good sized quiet triple room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glasgowcouple1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
The Achray House Hotel and Lodges
Cromlix
Cromlix
#1 of 1 in Kinbuck

Been to Murraypark Hotel? Share your experiences!